Gibraltar Calls For Increased Royal Navy Presence

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by SJRM_RN, Jul 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

HMG may not see the significance of Gibraltar but when ACM Sir Stuart Peach was appointed first JFC, his first foreign recce was to Gib. The military ( even Crabs) understand the strategic whereas politicians have no over the horizon capability.
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

In the days before we put a P2000 (ish) in Gib, there used to be a frigate nominated as Gib Guardship if I remember correctly.

Funny how that dropped off the plot, unnoticed.
  3. Just out of interest why don't we just base a frigate or destroyer in Gib permanently? The upkeep facilities are there, save for an increase in HDT it wouldn't really be any more expensive than keeping the ship alongside in Pompey or Guz.

Failing that why don't we just bomb Madrid? Spain is sh*t anyway.
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Because the Ship's Company will be permanently sh*tfaced!! :twisted: I spent two years in Gib working "somewhere special" and I'm surprised I even made it to work half the time as I was constantly hanging out... :oops:
  5. I was on HMS Keppel in 1976 as Gib guard ship. Did a lot of day running.
    Then once a week anchored in the disputed bit of water. Then the Spaniards
    would come out and anchor in the same area.
    As said a guard ship would not cost much more than alongside in Pompey.
    Added bonus...There are ladies available now. Not so in 1976.
  6. When I was out there for over 2 years my MAA old ships oppo was 'somewhere special' I think it was down the airport and called Movements, or something like that.
  7. sgtpepperband

To avoid the inevitable "All Reggies Are Bastards" crayoning on this thread, it was when I was a TAS Ape before I crossed to the Dark Side, working in a place that I certainly wouldn't discuss with a subversive like you about.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Anyone remember HMS Arlingham when she was guard ship at Gibraltar in the early 70s? She had a ship's dog - called, I think, Tramp - who had his own uniform (Leading Dog, although it was said he had been disrated from PO Dog for allegedly interfering with an admiral's poodle.)

I seem to recall a party trick where Tramp was involved with getting the ship under way - barking at the appropriate moment to let the bridge know that the engines had actually started....
  9. Seadog

This thread started at the military - strategic level and I'm pretty sure the OP's intention was that it stay there and not become an unrelated Gib dits thread.
  10. sgtpepperband

(Wot 'e sed...) :thumbleft:
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  11. A squadron of Sea Harriers would be good :)
  12. wal

wal Badgeman

One dark hole for the darkside, Eh! sgt'd.
  13. It's a shame we didn't keep at least one of the Peacock class boats when the HK squadron disbanded. I always thought it was a bad move selling them.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. It annoys me that the Spanish are constantly banging on about Gib when they have 3 similar enclaves actually in Morrocco - Cueta, Mellilla and the Parsley Islands.

It is probably partly political, as a distraction technique, as Rajoy and his government are somewhat in the kak, currently being embroiled in a corruption scandal - WHAT? - corruption in Spain?
  15. Having spent some time there I found that the average Gibraltarian has more faces than the Guildhall clock, let Spain have it back or lease it to the Yanks for 99 years.
  16. Seadog

Off topic and apologies but the barrier reef 'bombing ' doesn't highlight any training deficiencies. Did you read the article you linked? Never let the truth spoil a good Yank bashing.
  17. Twas tongue in cheek.

Removed. Can pronounce my syllables better now, thanks.
  18. The tw4ts are always 'closing' the border by working to rule.They frequently do it on a Spanish holiday, of which there are many, to upset the Spanish, who then think it is Gib's fault. It has taken me 5 hours to get off the rock on one occassion.

On the way off, just before you enter the Spanish gate, there are large boards apologising for the conduct of the Spanish officials with EU telephone numbers and websites to use in order to complain about them.

Mind you, the Guardi Civil are in the poo at the moment, as they seem to have been involved in illegal activities. Sorry for the poor linkys.,d.ZG4,d.ZG4