Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gib super yacht .

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
You obviously haven't checked the prices! Actually, there was a fire onboard a couple of days ago, so it may not be open at the moment. Feelings about it are mixed on Gib, as it kind of dominates the entire marina area.

Stirlin

War Hero
Just a point of interest SB , as to the prices you have to fly with a budget airline either Ryan Air or easyjet. Never used those two but from some accounts it can be a bad experience which is the last thing you need at the start of hols.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
And then take pot luck on whether the Spanish are playing silly b*****s at the border.

Yep, true. But if we are staying overnight, we'll go on about mid day and off before 1500 or after about 2100, then there is no problem. It is irritating when they get a fly up thir bum and start playing their games.

If things settle down, there is a Holiday Inn Express about 15 to 20 minutes away that we stay at. Much cheaper than Gib and it means go can come and go - more DFs!

CalCi

Midshipman
Gib is basically the UK on a rock. as soon as you cross the border ... complete change of scenery. Even the weather is miserable.

ElQuesoGrande

Lantern Swinger
Thanks for telling us all about Gib. I wondered what it was. So glad you posted.

As to the weather- I could have sworn that it's part of Iberia and thus has the same weather as La Linea the other side of the runway.

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Stayed there for a few days last year. It's very nice, although they prefer you to have fancy dress runs somewhere else.
Not sure on the prices, the taxpayer was paying.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Gib is basically the UK on a rock. as soon as you cross the border ... complete change of scenery. Even the weather is miserable.

Yes, I love it, the change from arrid dry earth to lush green grass, the meadows full of wild flowers; from scorching hot days to light persistent drizzle; calm blue sea to a thrashing maelstrom of grey breakers. Ah, going onto Gib...............

RabC

MIA
Thanks for telling us all about Gib. I wondered what it was. So glad you posted.

As to the weather- I could have sworn that it's part of Iberia and thus has the same weather as La Linea the other side of the runway.
Well to be a bit picky it does have the levant that can give it a climate all of its own from time to time.

MG Maniac

War Hero
Lived there for 2.5 years end of the 70's. Border was shut permanently then so no queues to worry about.
Didn't matter if the town was cloudy with the Levant ... Calli Bay was always bright sunshine ... Calamari's & Chips on the beach and a bottle or two of San Mig! Ahh happy days!

RabC

MIA
Lived there for 2.5 years end of the 70's. Border was shut permanently then so no queues to worry about.
Didn't matter if the town was cloudy with the Levant ... Calli Bay was always bright sunshine ... Calamari's & Chips on the beach and a bottle or two of San Mig! Ahh happy days!
MG I agree, I spent just under two years there but sadly I worked and drank on the wrong side of the rock. Many is the time where the dockyard or even Main St, Horseshoe/Captains Cabin were shrouded in fog whilst others were bronzying on Catalan Bay side.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I wonder if the Military Police HQ is still there, it would be nice to have a nostalgic visit to the Army supplied hotel I had the pleasure of staying in once.

Room was a bit cramped though, and there was no en suite! When I had the audacity to mention this to the nice sergeant in the morning he said some very rude words to me, threw me in the back of a taxi (I didn't know they had landrover taxi's in Gib) and the two taxi drivers in their green taxi uniforms brought me back to the boat.

And I got case dismissed by the skipper :)

MG Maniac

War Hero
I wonder if the Military Police HQ is still there, it would be nice to have a nostalgic visit to the Army supplied hotel I had the pleasure of staying in once.

Room was a bit cramped though, and there was no en suite! When I had the audacity to mention this to the nice sergeant in the morning he said some very rude words to me, threw me in the back of a taxi (I didn't know they had landrover taxi's in Gib) and the two taxi drivers in their green taxi uniforms brought me back to the boat.

And I got case dismissed by the skipper :)

Ah! The famous Blue Light Taxi Service! Had a lift up and down from RNH many a time! Normally standing at the bus stop waiting for Miguel in his mobile shrine to St ??? to go back down the hill and I'd get "Oi Owl Arse wanna lift"? Mind did help after I'd been feeding them (and the Chrushers) coffee all night!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Remember the tunnel from the dockyard to Eastern Beach? Just so us lads could go and bronzy without having to go round the long way!

The tunnel is still there, but is shut by grills at both ends, though you can look along it and see a spot of light in the distance.

Unless that's a train coming.........

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Remember the tunnel from the dockyard to Eastern Beach? Just so us lads could go and bronzy without having to go round the long way!

The tunnel is still there, but is shut by grills at both ends, though you can look along it and see a spot of light in the distance.

Once went through the tunnel to the beach and the UC1 (who was a bit of a poser) stripped off and spent all day swimming and bronzing. We were pissing up and decided to bury his lagging on the beach.

Come the time to head back and we couldn't remember where we'd buried it (lagging, ID card, wallet, watch..the lot). he had to walk back through the tunnel and through the dockyard in just his budgie smugglers.

He didn't see the funny side of it though!

MG Maniac

War Hero

Yeah ... remember it well! Got taken on a "under the rock" tour once ... more roads and tunnels under than there is on the outside!

Wightsparker

War Hero
Recently did a taxi tour of the Upper Rock with Mrs W. Several other tourists also on board, including several Canadians. One lady was clearly not happy with the pretty severe drop on one side. The driver/tour guide was well into his spiel, and announced that Canadian engineers had done a lot of the tunnelling under the Rock, and that - as MGM said - there were more roads underground than there were above ground. There was a plaintive wail from the back: "Then why are we on this one?"

On the subject of the tunnel from the dockyard with the spot of light at the end, some years ago I went to an exercise briefing in a chamber reached from a side tunnel. Going past one inconspicuous room deep underground, I noticed a very small plaque on the door noting that General Ike had used the room whilst involved in planning the WW2 North African landings. Nothing touristy, but a definite reminder of the Rock's incredible history.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SONAR-BENDER I'm off to Gib tomorrow...... Diamond Lil's 8
AAF Monkey business in Gib. The Quarterdeck 5
soleil Carat: "The RN, TalkSPORT, Gib & Darren Gough - An Exciting Sponsorship Adventure" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 6
soleil Gib Chronicle: "Peer’s Navy Warning Over Gibraltar" Bases / Shore Est 9
soleil Vox (Gib): "Change Of Governor Of Gibraltar" The Corps 1
andym Gib Poll goes Viral! Current Affairs 2
soleil BBC: "New Tricks" - Filmed in Gib - Tuesday, 30/07/13 - 2100 Bases / Shore Est 30
trelawney126 Spanish Kings in laws move to Gib Diamond Lil's 1
soleil Vox (Gib): "Royal Marines’ Rock Run Today" The Corps 0
trelawney126 Spain in Gib Excursion HMS Scimitar Current Affairs 0
soleil Gibraltar Chronicle: "Royal Navy Signals Readiness To Protect Gib Waters" Bases / Shore Est 6
soleil Gibraltar Chronicle: "New Boathouse For Gib Squadron" Bases / Shore Est 5
stan_the_man Gib the dream draft - not Diamond Lil's 23
soleil Gibraltar Chronicle: "Gib Base Supports RN Vessel En Route To Libya" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil Panorama (Gib): "Week-long Visit By Frigate" The Fleet 3
soleil Gib. Chronicle: "University Naval Units Visit The Rock" SCC and URNU 16
soleil Gib Chronicle: "Submarine Rescue Exercise 'A Success'" Submariners 1
soleil Gib Chronicle: "UK Protest As Guardia Approaches RN Ships" Bases / Shore Est 10
soleil Gib. Chronicle: Two RN WO1s presented with Clasps by CBF Bases / Shore Est 2
soleil Gib. Chronicle: Guardia Vessel forces RN to abandon exercise Current Affairs 8
trelawney126 Times Obituary Rear Admiral Sturdee FO Gib 1969-1972 Current Affairs 3
soleil Gib: "Red Arrows’ Fitting Response to Spanish Incursions" Bases / Shore Est 6
soleil RN Officer-to-be in charge as Thunderer Sqn DTUS visits Gib SCC and URNU 5
J Flying to Gib with a NTO and ID card. Travel & The Great Outdoors 11
soleil First Sea Lord visits Gib Bases / Shore Est 3
soleil Gib Chronicle: "UK must defend Gib waters" Bases / Shore Est 4
5dits Navy warships dispatched as Spain invades seas around Gib Current Affairs 14
Polycell What about the bars in Gib in the........................ History 45
2 1972 Tug-o-war in Gib. The Quarterdeck 5
MoD_RSS Police super-complaints: force response to police perpetrated domestic abuse MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Weston-Super-Mare restaurateur banned from managing companies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK’s first ‘super’ National Nature Reserve created on Purbeck Heaths MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Start of construction at HS2’s London super-hub moves a step closer MoD News 0
soleil YT: "End of the Stig? - Super Jaguar Vs Harrier Jet - Top Gear" The Fleet Air Arm 1
MoD_RSS HS2 pioneers augmented reality for rail super hub of the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New economic plan to super-charge space and creative sectors in Buckinghamshire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New tech teams to protect dolphins and create next generation of super strong aluminium MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: HS2 reveals Old Oak Common station designs as work ramps up on west London super-hub MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Marvel legends assemble to inspire next generation of engineering super heroes! MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Futuristic super-thin metal could create ‘solar-panel shirts’ MoD News 0
Tomahawk HMS Sultan to be closed, HMNB Devonport to be Amphib super-centre Current Affairs 23
LateToTheParty Super fast application process... it's now very real Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
blueschill A Chinese 3000mph Super Sub!? Really??? Current Affairs 13
S Super salvage operations to rival Concordia History 9
finknottle The Global Banking ‘Super-Entity’ Drug Cartel: The “Free Market” of Finance Capital Current Affairs 0
soleil BFBS News: "Super Warship Targeted By Protesters" The Fleet 2
R Getting Super Dooper Fit for Raleigh Health & Fitness 41
WhizzbangDai US Super Destroyer The Quarterdeck 18
soleil Herald: "'Super-base' for RMs shelved by £100m cost" The Corps 4
C Super Bowl Sports and Adventure Training 20