Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant 'Freak Wave' hits cruise ship in the Med

The Golf de Leon is a very, very rough bit of water. A lot of people think the Med is a tad flat, but that is certainly not the case, not by any means.
 

Flagdeck

War Hero
sussex2 said:
The Golf de Leon is a very, very rough bit of water. A lot of people think the Med is a tad flat, but that is certainly not the case, not by any means.

I've had a technicolor yawn or three in the Golf de Leon :oops:
 
Thank gawd we cancelled our cruise in May. This looks terribly frightening 8O

Well we can thank Easyjet for the cruise cancellation due to unforseen circumstances your return flight has been cancelled and with a family wedding in Scotland the day after that was that. Wondering what unforseen circumstances can be happeing in May
 

WhiteRose

Lantern Swinger
Backpacker1uk said:
Wondering what unforseen circumstances can be happeing in May

That's when the mass evacuation starts of the UK after complete voter apathy allows Gordon Brown another term in office...

Those who can, flee...
 

Stirling

Banned
WhiteRose said:
Backpacker1uk said:
Wondering what unforseen circumstances can be happeing in May

That's when the mass evacuation starts of the UK after complete voter apathy allows Gordon Brown another term in office...

Those who can, flee...

I piss off on May 31st..............................

......to IOW
 
Watching the video made by a passenger, on TV last night was very impressive. Remind me on my next cruise to sit well away from large chunks of glass!
 

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Had a bumpy ride as a cadet in the G de Leon in 1955. Triumph had some bow plates stove in but couldn't log the windspeed as the anemometer had been ripped off the mast by the gale. I had the good fortune to be spending the week in her planeguard, HMS Venus, which of course was bouncng around a bit more than Triumph. OOW had to keep picking up the Captain Lt Cdr Peg Leg Dawson) who had a wooden leg.
 
The risk of encountering such waves in the North Atlantic explains why the highly personable Stephen Payne OBE, chief designer of Carnival's Queen Mary 2, deliberately returned to the concept of the classic Cunard ocean liners incorporating a flared bow and long forecastle instead of the bluff-bowed floating apartment blocks that constitute most modern cruise liners. There is a surprisingly high incidence of the sort of damage sustained by the Louis Majesty and this one only received significant coverage because it involved fatalities.


Left: QM2
Right: Louis Majesty


Queen Mary 2: The Ocean Liner Experience
Cruise Mates said:
Ocean Liner

What are the differences between an ocean liner and a cruise ship? Ocean liners were built for speed and stability, since their main purpose was to cross the Atlantic. In the days before air travel, the goal was to accomplish that task in as little time as possible. The fastest ships ever built, like the SS United States, are no longer in service, but they attained speeds up to 40 knots with streamlined hulls and extremely powerful engines.

Queen Mary 2 has a true liner's design in her hull structure, so she cuts through the North Atlantic swells with speed and stability. Her engines are powerful enough to attain speeds of 30 knots, about 30 percent faster than the average cruise ship...
 
A lot of the newer cruise ships look like unstable car parks. I reckon it is only a matter of time before one goes completely tits up.
A few years back we went on the Oceanic for a Med cruise. It was old, but a proper ship, designed for the North Atlantic in winter and road the Golf very well indeed. I can't imagine it would ever have to head for harbour in rough weather, unlike an awful lot of the newer car park ships.
Sadly I believe this venerable vessel has now gone to the scrap yard. It was the original 'Love Boat'.
The captain when we sailed on it was Amadeus Albaquerque, a true Portuguese navigator and a complete gentlemen.
 
Interesting interviews with some of the German pax on TV this evening. They critisised the captain for poor seamanship. It was fairly evident that their maritime experience extended no further than having done a cruise or two. Obviously experts. :roll:
One explanation for the incident was a phenonomen called "the 3 sisters", 3 waves so close that the ship has no time to recover before being overwhelmed by the third wave.
 

Bergen

ADC
Naval_Gazer said:
The risk of encountering such waves in the North Atlantic explains why the highly personable Stephen Payne OBE, chief designer of Carnival's Queen Mary 2, deliberately returned to the concept of the classic Cunard ocean liners incorporating a flared bow and long forecastle instead of the bluff-bowed floating apartment blocks that constitute most modern cruise liners. There is a surprisingly high incidence of the sort of damage sustained by the Louis Majesty and this one only received significant coverage because it involved fatalities.


Left: QM2
Right: Louis Majesty


Queen Mary 2: The Ocean Liner Experience
Cruise Mates said:
Ocean Liner

What are the differences between an ocean liner and a cruise ship? Ocean liners were built for speed and stability, since their main purpose was to cross the Atlantic. In the days before air travel, the goal was to accomplish that task in as little time as possible. The fastest ships ever built, like the SS United States, are no longer in service, but they attained speeds up to 40 knots with streamlined hulls and extremely powerful engines.

Queen Mary 2 has a true liner's design in her hull structure, so she cuts through the North Atlantic swells with speed and stability. Her engines are powerful enough to attain speeds of 30 knots, about 30 percent faster than the average cruise ship...

RMS Queen Mary met a 92' "rogue wave" in the North Atlantic in 1942 that knocked her over on her beams to an estimated 52 deg., which was about 03 degs of non return. She was carrying 14000 allied troops across the Lantic for a trip to D-Day. Hate to think of the state of 14000 sets of underwear after that encounter.

http://www.thewaythefutureblogs.com/2010/01/perils-at-sea/
 

labrum

War Hero
Interesting explanatory comment on the link; reinforces the requirement for a post wave dhobi session...

The freak waves are nasty things. They may rise up to 30 m high, and they often come in threes. While they are rarities - many seafarers never encounter one during their whole career - they can sink even a large ship or damage it seriously.

Freak waves usually occur where the oceanic currents run against the prevailing winds (such as Agulhas current at westerlies’ zone at the south point of Africa), or where the form of seabed changes rapidly, such as Bay of Biscay, undersea mountains or plateaus, or Atlantic central ridge.

For a long time the freak waves were considered as tall tales or seaman stories, but there were enough indices they were real. The first recorded freak wave was the Draupner wave New Year’s day 1995, which hit an offshore platform - and was estimated to be up to 30 m high.

The freak waves are said to be extremely steep - like “a moving wall of water†and preceeded by a ravine-like trough - “like a hole in the waterâ€. It is estimated the freak wave gathers kinetic energy from nearby waves, calming them down while accumulating size on itself.

Freak waves are not the same as tsunami. A tsunami is almost undetectable at sea - they seldom rise higher than one metre at high seas. They only gain momentum - and height - near the shore, and they may rise to 30+ m high.

The freak waves can also occur at Great Lakes - it has been suspected that one sank the ore boat Edmund Fitzgerald
 
Crabman said:
Interesting interviews with some of the German pax on TV this evening. They critisised the captain for poor seamanship. It was fairly evident that their maritime experience extended no further than having done a cruise or two. Obviously experts. :roll:
One explanation for the incident was a phenonomen called "the 3 sisters", 3 waves so close that the ship has no time to recover before being overwhelmed by the third wave.

Which sounds very like what happened to the Ashanti back in '74, just off Bermuda.
It ended in 2 crew killed, several injured and the ship returning to Bermuda. What didn't help was the build of the ship, a bit flat bottomed and purpose built for the Gulf.
 
Those at BRNC Dartmouth a few decades ago may remember John Barlee, the civilian lecturer in Oceanography. He told us that there was no such thing as a 'freak wave' because they were all 'statistically predictable'. He also took great delight in showing us his collection of newspaper clippings containing stories of people washed off sea fronts, saying with some glee, "Served them right."
 
This news was very much allover the world and this was all because of that giant wave which was forcefully hit to the cruise ship and it took the lives of 2 people and some where seriously injured. This incident has created threat against the cruise in lots of people.
 

lonestar

War Hero
rosamundtaylors said:
This news was very much allover the world and this was all because of that giant wave which was forcefully hit to the cruise ship and it took the lives of 2 people and some where seriously injured. This incident has created threat against the cruise in lots of people.

 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS UK-built rover landing on Martian surface moves one giant fall closer MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Giant leap for UK spaceflight programme as consultation launches MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Waste giant forced to pay over £500,000 for exporting banned waste MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Giant crash barrier lorries rolled out MoD News 0
Maxpowers MASSIVE BIG GIANT ISSUE (NOT) Joining the Royal Navy 38
MoD_RSS Press release: Ready, set, lift! Giant 'superspan' gantry installed across M6 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Tech giant Microsoft signs Armed Forces Covenant MoD News 0
soleil Herald: "Search For Royal Marine Pictured Next To Giant Wave Of Poppies On Plymouth Hoe" The Corps 0
MoD_RSS News story: Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal names new jetty for Navy’s giant aircraft... MoD News 0
soleil Telegraph: "MoD Looks At Giant Patrol Drone To Replace Axed Nimrod" MoD News 5
Handler Dying days of a giant History 0
soleil Guardian: "Giant First World War Gun On The Move Across Southern England This Week" History 2
S Gosport knitters make giant scarf for submarine HMS Alliance Submariners 10
Stirling Mating call of Giant sea clam Miscellaneous 0
soleil Navy News: "Bows Wow As Giant Future Carrier Section Joins Her Sister In Rosyth" The Fleet 0
soleil Herald (Scotland): "Regal Move On Schedule For Clyde’s Giant Warship" The Fleet 0
soleil Navy News: "Another Giant Piece Of The Carrier Jigsaw Slots Into Place" The Fleet 0
soleil Navy News: "Giant Leap For Skiers" Sports and Adventure Training 0
S Giant Pasty Presentation to Save Dockyard Current Affairs 1
J Storm Triggers Giant Guatemalan Sinkhole Current Affairs 5
L Carrera vs Giant Bikes Sports and Adventure Training 6
R077 Giant negroid head sparks formal investigation (Cadbury Ad) Current Affairs 4
soleil "Naval Base Gears Up To Welcome Giant Carriers" Bases / Shore Est 8
RonJeremy Giant Bell End on roof Diamond Lil's 13
wet_blobby Giant turd compitition The Corps 6
S PJFT freak out Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
Merlin28 A freak like me Diamond Lil's 0
MoD_RSS Competition opens for new wave of Institutes of Technology MoD News 0
soleil The Times: "Life On The Ocean Wave: The Royal Navy Photographic Awards" The Fleet 1
MoD_RSS UK leads global fight to prevent second wave of coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Last chance to ‘wave goodbye’ to Mercury mission MoD News 0
higthepig On the crest of a wave............ The Quarterdeck 3
MoD_RSS Third wave of further education providers invited to teach pioneering new T Levels from 2022 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Welsh police forces to recruit new officers in first wave of 20,000 uplift MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Office announces first wave of 20,000 police officer uplift MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Perceptions of vocational and technical qualifications - wave 2 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Innovative funding models and technologies to drive investment in new wave of low carbon energy MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Third wave of the UK’s science and innovation audits published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Homes England confirms new wave of strategic partners MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary announces latest wave of cadet units in schools MoD News 3
soleil BBC News: "Wave Poppies Sculpture On Display At Fort Nelson" History 4
soleil Telegraph: "Wave Of Suspected Bombs Sent To Armed Forces Recruiting Offices" Current Affairs 30
soleil Leamington Observer: "Life On The Ocean Wave For Robert" Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 0
Naval_Gazer Ministry of Defence plans new wave of unmanned marine drones The Quarterdeck 15
MoD_RSS RFA Wave Knight returns from 11-month deployment Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS RFA Wave Knight rescues sailors in distress Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS RFA Wave Ruler returns to UK after 21-month deployment Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS RFA Wave Ruler delivers aid following Hurricane Irene Current Affairs 0
soleil RFA Wave Ruler to visit Malta RFA 0
sgtpepperband Cool wave pics Hobbies & The Great Indoors 11
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

Top