Ghurkajustice.org.uk

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Bad CO, Oct 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We've been asked to post this on here... hopefully everyone will feel able to support ....

2. as at 6pm tonight the signatures stood at 44,000. thats 11,00 more in three days. keep going lads and lassies it will make the one million

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Signed and passed out to my web contacts

4. recieved today:we're getting their!
    I have some great news about the Gurkha Justice campaign that I want to update you on.

Firstly, we now have over 120,000 online signatures with over 20,000 returned in the post. If you haven't done so already, please spread the word to all your online contacts and ask them to sign up online too at www.gurkhajustice.org.uk

Second, there have been some exciting steps forward in the House of Commons.

Earlier this week the Home Affairs Committee of the House of Commons considered the right of Gurkhas to settle in the UK. The committee considered evidence from a range of different people, including our lawyers, a submission from me, and representatives from a number of Gurkha organisations.

I'm so pleased to be able to tell you that they agreed with us entirely, and have sent a letter to the Home Secretary urging her to take "urgent action to redress the currently unfair situation by extending settlement rights in the UK to all Gurkhas". You can read the full text of the letter at http://tinyurl.com/5ou59q

This is a big step forward, with an influential cross-Party committee of MPs backing our cause. This is on top of the High Court's ruling in late September that the Government's action was "unlawful and unfair".

But just unbelievably, the Government has still not changed the law, and has still not yet agreed to offer a fair deal for Gurkhas.

In this week in particular, when we have seen the tragic death of a Gurkha serving in the British Army in Afghanistan, and four soldiers from the Royal Gurkha Rifles awarded the Military Cross, we need to redouble our efforts to make the Government see sense.

Please do whatever you can to ask as many people as you can to sign the petition at www.gurkhajustice.org.uk - I want to take a simply huge petition to Downing Street on the 20th November.

And I'd like you to join me in Parliament Square, Westminster, at 11am on Thursday 20th November, before we hand in the petition. I want to stand together with you and our Gurkha heroes and show just how strong the support for the Gurkhas cause is. Will you join me? I hope to see you there.

Finally, especially for those who can join me on the 20th of November, you can buy Gurkha Justice t-shirts, sweatshirts, bags and more from our online shop with Spreadshirt at http://gurkhajustice.spreadshirt.net. Wear yours with pride - I certainly do - and for the next few days only (until this Sunday), Spreadshirt are offering free postage on all items to show their support for the campaign. Simply use the coupon code GURKHAFREE when ordering, and the postage for your items should be free.

With warmest good wishes,

Joanna
    www.gurkhajustice.org.uk

PS. On Sunday, millions of us across the Country will be honouring those who fought and died for us on Remembrance Sunday.

One hundred thousand Gurkhas fought in the First World War. They served in the battlefields of France in the Loos, Givenchy, Neuve Chapelle and Ypres; in Mesopotamia, Persia, Suez Canal and Palestine against Turkish advance, Gallipoli and Salonika. One detachment served with Lawrence of Arabia. 250,000 Nepalese Gurkhas served in the Second World War.

It's time to repay our debt of honour to them. www.gurkhajustice.org.uk

This message has been sent to those who have signed up for the Gurkha Justice campaign by signing at www.gurkhajustice.org.uk or on a printed petition for supplying your email address. You can opt-out of further correspondence from the campaign at any time by email to [email protected]

5. Bump.
    Yes. I've signed.

2BM

6. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I'd love to sign the petition, but as a non-UK resident I'm prevented from doing so, despite being a UK National - given that even Downing Street recognises expats as haveing a voice, I'm sure that there are many more out of the UK who could support this worthy cause weer the site to amend its signing policy.

7. 'Pon my word! Cheers for that. I'll sally on forth and have a look at the group.

8. signed and posted to friends

9. Signed, I'll pass on when I think of a way to do it in huge quantities.

10. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

11. But clearly still wrigghling to get off the hook. The imorality of NuLabor never ceases to amaze me.

12. Having listened to the lunch time news today I find the announcement by the gutless Government a total sham.
    Considering the amount of scum that Liebour have let into the UK since coming to power it's a disgrace that the Gurkha's can't be allowed to reside here. :evil:

13. I totally agree with the GR this is disgusting The Ghurkas have earned the right to live here, the A@@@holes who made this decision obviously have no idea of what is owed to the Ghurkas.
    I trust that all concerned will carry on to right this injustice.

14. I cannot remember the last time that felt so ashamed.

BBC News

Jerry

15. :evil: :evil: Just listened to Major Anderson on the BBC news making a right Cnut of himself :oops: :oops:

16. I have just sent this message to my MP Gordon Brown.

Sir

Today you and your government have made me ashamed to both hold the Queens commission and to be British. You had the opportunity to at last treat the Gurkha soldiers who have served us all so well over the years with dignity and respect and chose not to. To me this is unforgivable.

If you were a true son of the manse and a person of any decency you would resign, but I fear you will not.

Yours in deepest regret

If Iget any sensible response I will let you know, but I fear there wil be no good news, it all makes me feal so sick.

17. Wouldn't this be the one case where HM could exercise some sway in regards to this, I am sure the Palace could exert an awful lot of pressure on the cretins at Parliament....aren't a few of them Honorary Colonels and such anyway...will have to do some research on that one... :wink: