Ghost ships

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by 2_deck_dash, Aug 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saw this over on Arrse and thought it would interest a few here:

Inside the Ghost Ships of the Mothball Fleet | Beyond the Photos

Having drunkenly invaded the Invincible while she was mothballed, I can personally attest that exploring an empty ship in the dead of night with only your mobile phone for light, is cool as **** and really really scary.
  2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

(Good weblink, though...) :thumbup:
  3. It ******* was, seriously. Weird noises and stuff. Being so hammered that I nearly fell down the void beneath an aircraft lift in pitch darkness probably didn't help.

I armed myself with a fire extinguisher just in case.
  4. sgtpepperband

Ha! It's all coming out now, 2DD! I thought you were brave an' shit, like JD's brother. But it seems you're a frickin' lightweight: "You are Chicogism and I claim my £5 Jack Blair's gift token!!" :lol:
  5. What the **** will a fiver get you at Jack Blair's? I went on deployment and stupidly forgot to cancel my direct debit with them. When I got home 9 months later, I had about £200 in my Jack Blair account which they wouldn't refund.

I got a ski jacket which costs £80 in most other shops.

Robbing bastards.
  6. sgtpepperband

Still wearing it, according to your Faceache profile:

7. Stalker...........
  8. sgtpepperband

9. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Been on a few of the old boats in Roysth robbing parts in the past. Having served on them, you definitely get a different feeling when your on them. They had lighting necklaces throughout, but were still pretty dim. Eerie, especially if you served on them and remember them as a hive of activity.
  10. Thanks for that. I've got to go and sit down one all by myself tonight.
  11. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

I always thought there was a wiff of the mincer about you Joe.
  12. In refit in Guss midd sixties we spread duty watches between four boats that were in different stages of refit ...though we slept in the accommodation block at the end of the jetty the watch keeper had to walk the full length of each boat every hour and sign the book below the fore hatch,,,rounds correct...
    All of the boats were spooky but the Andrew had the story that a Tiffy had died in the donk shop whilst welding and he still walked the boat we had the rounds book on the end of a piece of string a would pull it up onto the foredeck and sign it then send it back down before scarpering back to the safety of the block...Later they replaced the rounds books for mechanical watch keepers with built in time clocks that had to be punched..These where all kept in the fore ends on the boats ...
    All that is except for the one for the Andrew...that was kept behind the settee in the TV room .....
  13. traf or sceptre?
  14. Yes.:fish:
  15. I've mentioned it before,I have no fear of darkness,I worked in the pits and old workings where men had been killed could be eerie as a 15 year old but you soon got over that so;
    Joining up I was one of the party to drop off,alone,on one of the mothballed ships in the Solent to check the bilges.
    Ships can be eerie at night,'specially when the day chipping party left a hanging dummy straight in your face as you turned in a flat!
    One time I nearly crapped my self as I must have brushed against an open locker door and it closed with a bang behind me.
    Quickly realised that no-one ever checked so,Feck the bilges,settled down with a fag and a book,it's not like anyone could sneak up on you.
    A good little number really.
    There was one Battleship I forget the name but I thought I ain't going down that sod I'll get lost as I only just come out of Raleigh.
  16. Am I the only one who raises an eyebrow at these chaps' activities. They trespass onto property that clearly isn't there to be entered, take evasive action from the authorised guards, take photographs of the property and then have the nerve to charge money for photographs proving their illegal activity.
    Am I wrong?
  17. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

But this begs the question, why could these photographers not go through official channels to gain access to the ship graveyard? I suppose the Government does not want it highlighted that there are rusting decaying ships just waiting to be scrapped but as everyone knows they are there, what harm could it do allowing a photographer or two onboard to document their demise?

Cracking photos, and undoubtedly of interest to the public. Well, if they're 'istoree buffs like me.
  18. Went on the Reclaim in Pompey in 81 to get some kit lockers for the Part 3s. No shore cables black as a witches tit, get down to the divers mess then fcuk me my pussers right angle goes tits up, after frantically foundering around in complete darkness I found the door out pulled it to open the fecker and it wouldn't budge, after 30 mins sweating like a ******* rapist and blood pressure going through the roof I pushed it open - what a cnut eh.
    York, We had lost a young PO Tiff who had commited suicide at sea in 1990 on our way out to the Gulf, we were too far offshore to land the body by helo so kept him in the fridges for a couple of days before we landed him in Cyprus.
    I fcuking hated doing rounds of the fridge flat in drydock in 1994 I used to grab the Busuns Mate from his shack on the jetty to go round with me - what a cowardly cnut eh