Ghost Force - Patrick Robinson

chockhead819

War Hero
The book is roughly based on Argentina re invading the Falkland Islands.

The admirals/general decide to go even though they know its a suicide mission in the book, but would this happen?

If the Argies invaded the Falklands & TB said we'll send a task force down there, would the OIC say Yes as its a direct order or No, its a suicide job & I am not going to be responsible for the death of hundreds of sailors/soldiers.

I know personally I would do everything to stop it as we havent the kit IMHO to do it again.

I fear that in today's compliant culture, where COS seem to comply with pollies wishes, we would go to war, lose, and the political fallout might get the public to realise that more money needed to be invested in the Forces. But what would really happen is that an investigation would skip over that politically explosive issue and pass the buck somewhere else. Probably some lowly secretary would be blamed for an alledged typing error.

dondon

MIA
Have read all of Patrick Robinsons books bar this one , enjoyed all of them , all set a couple of years ahead of present time when they were written , will have to get this latest one next time I'm in town .

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Always_a_Civvy said:
I fear that in today's compliant culture, where COS seem to comply with pollies wishes, we would go to war, lose, and the political fallout might get the public to realise that more money needed to be invested in the Forces. But what would really happen is that an investigation would skip over that politically explosive issue and pass the buck somewhere else. Probably some lowly secretary would be blamed for an alledged typing error.
I think you'll find that in whatever culture, compliant or otherwise, it is the duty of us servicemen to comply with the wishes of politicians -its sort of the job. The trick is to demonstrate the art of the possible to the ministers, and a course of action involving a suicide mission would not be put on the table. Knowing 1SL and CinC to be the personalties that they are, I trust them not to take such actions involving mine, or any other life, lightly.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
alhucoll Ghost Force - Falklands 2011 Social & Reunions 4
MoD_RSS Highways England on right lines to make ‘ghost’ markings vanish MoD News 0
C Up spirits(Stand fast the Holy Ghost) Diamond Lil's 0
J Jack888 - Ghost Recon Diamond Lil's 125
Rumrat Friggin Ghost and gremlins. Diamond Lil's 0
REDMIST Do you believe in Ghost's.......................?? The Corps 82
2_deck_dash Ghost ships The Quarterdeck 17
S Plymouth Ghost Town Warning Current Affairs 7
S The Dorset Naga or Ghost Chilli Diamond Lil's 1
E HMS Raleigh's Fisgard Division ghost. Diamond Lil's 24
SILVER_FOX 'Soldier ghost' caught on camera Current Affairs 9
higthepig ghost rider Diamond Lil's 8
slim Green anger at 'ghost flights' The Quarterdeck 4
Father_Famine Ghost Boat Submariners 16
A Give up the Ghost - American Navy Biggest, Baddest, Bestest The Fleet 86
MoD_RSS Ex-BT boss leads task force to attract new vendors to UK telecoms MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Border Force stop £15 million of cocaine hitting streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS La Francophonie and its ability to serve as a global force for good MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Police super-complaints: force response to police perpetrated domestic abuse MoD News 0
MoD_RSS P-8 Poseidon aircraft to support Border Force operations in the Channel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New award scheme shines spotlight on Cadet Force adult volunteers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £14million of cocaine and amphetamines seized by Border Force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Call for Evidence: An inspection of Border Force Freight Operations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £15 million of cocaine seized by Border Force at London Gateway MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Cabinet Ministers out in force to endorse India ties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major changes to insolvency law come into force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Border Force seizes 37kg of cocaine at Dover MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Animal medicine seizure notice: Border Force, Inverness Airport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public health border measures to come into force next week MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 170 kilos of heroin seized by Border Force at Heathrow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ‘Sobriety tags’ come into force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 260 kilos of cocaine seized by Border Force at Coquelles MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Border force seize cocaine worth £4.86 million at Harwich MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Border Force prioritising checks on medical equipment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Military stands up COVID Support Force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Animal medicine seizure notice: Border Force, Newcastle Airport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulator highlights areas increasing the risk of non-compliance before new Rent Standard is in force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Order to proscribe far-right terrorist group comes into force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vice Chief of the Defence Staff signs future force development charter to reaffirm UK/US defence relationship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS EST speech at launch of Financial Services Skills Task Force report MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New reporting requirement for obliged entities comes into force MoD News 0
E The Commando Helicopter Force Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
MoD_RSS Border Force crackdown on Christmas counterfeits MoD News 2
MoD_RSS UK provides military assistance in search for missing Chilean Air Force aircraft MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New animal and plant health safety rules coming into force in December MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inspection report published: An inspection of Border Force operations at Glasgow and Edinburgh airports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Animal medicine seizure notice: Border Force, Stansted Airport MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon visits India to strengthen UK-India Force for Good links MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Regulations on the accessibility of new public sector websites come into force MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Global Britain is leading the world as a force for good: article by Dominic Raab MoD News 0