Ghost Force - Patrick Robinson

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by chockhead819, Mar 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The book is roughly based on Argentina re invading the Falkland Islands.

The admirals/general decide to go even though they know its a suicide mission in the book, but would this happen?

If the Argies invaded the Falklands & TB said we'll send a task force down there, would the OIC say Yes as its a direct order or No, its a suicide job & I am not going to be responsible for the death of hundreds of sailors/soldiers.

I know personally I would do everything to stop it as we havent the kit IMHO to do it again.

2. I fear that in today's compliant culture, where COS seem to comply with pollies wishes, we would go to war, lose, and the political fallout might get the public to realise that more money needed to be invested in the Forces. But what would really happen is that an investigation would skip over that politically explosive issue and pass the buck somewhere else. Probably some lowly secretary would be blamed for an alledged typing error.

3. Have read all of Patrick Robinsons books bar this one , enjoyed all of them , all set a couple of years ahead of present time when they were written , will have to get this latest one next time I'm in town .

4. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I think you'll find that in whatever culture, compliant or otherwise, it is the duty of us servicemen to comply with the wishes of politicians -its sort of the job. The trick is to demonstrate the art of the possible to the ministers, and a course of action involving a suicide mission would not be put on the table. Knowing 1SL and CinC to be the personalties that they are, I trust them not to take such actions involving mine, or any other life, lightly.