Ghost Boat

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Father_Famine, Apr 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Firstly I'm an ex Skimmer, but, just watched first part of this and thought it was a good story.

Interested if anyone knows what they used to record it, I think David Jason said it was recorded in New Zealand, and what you Deeps think of it.

2. How do they get out of this sticky fix,not a bad story so far, but then anything that David Jason does or is involved in gets a big thumbs up from me.

3. Pretty sure it's an Italian WW2 boat, and filmed in the Med - that's not the Baltic! I can't find the exact boat/class as I've packed my books away.

4. Opening scenes - I'm convinced were filmed in Xlendi, Gozo
    Obvious scenes from Mainland Malta
    I'm convinced they sneaked Guzz in there very briefly, you could see the unmistakable outline of the frigate complex ( I believe )
    G

5. I believe that Sir David Jason mentioned during his interview on Parkinson that part of Ghost Boat was filmed in Rome.

6. Thats it, Why did I think it was in Kiwi, Had a few sherbets before watching Parkie.

Was that MarsaVin he was supping?

7. Now the thought of that stuff takes me ba a very long time.

Peter

8. The in-boat scenes were apparently filmed using the same set as was used for U571, or whatever the story was that accused the yanks of regaining the ENIGMA machine.

I thought the story was very good and there weren't too many lapses in the detail, as far as I could see.

9. I thought the story was very good and there weren't too many lapses in the detail, as far as I could see.[/quote]

The biggest gaff I saw was when he piped down to the Engine Room and the fella who replied spoke into a loudspeaker!! 8O

10. The biggest gaff I saw was when he piped down to the Engine Room and the fella who replied spoke into a loudspeaker!! 8O[/quote]

Quite a lot of old intercom systems used loudspeaker/mikes like that, and I do remeber that the bridge intercom on RN boats in my time used a pressuretight loudspeaker/mike.

Peter

11. That was certainly Grand Harbour Malta and, Graybags, it was definitely Marsavin that he was drinking and, probably, that scene was filmed in Gozo. Interestingly, there is a discreet but very moving memorial to our submariners tucked away in a quiet corner in Valleta - I wonder how many British tourists spot it! (clue - you need to walk the wall)

fido

12. I think you're right - it certainly looks like an old Italian boat to me, opening scenes from Gozo and Grand Harbour figures clearly.

fido

13. I wonder how many people have ever spotted the British Submariners' Memorial, in London on the Victoria Embankment, near Temple tube station. It's easy to miss....
    [​IMG]

14. Just watched it again tonight, and that bleedin' Forendy still says "Bowcaps CLOSED!!"

Better go to bed before I get paranoid. :lurk:

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  15. Wow - 6 years! Is this a new record!!

PS. I would have recorded it had I know it was on.

16. Quite a lot of old intercom systems used loudspeaker/mikes like that, and I do remeber that the bridge intercom on RN boats in my time used a pressuretight loudspeaker/mike.

I was forever mucking about with wet mikes from the bridge, so I ordered a loudspeaker/mike it had a plate under the speaker which you pressed to speak, but big L told me to send it back as it wasnt in the Kalamazoo, also I was in Malta around the time this was filmed and saw an odd little boat leaving Grand harbour, aaaannnnd some of the scenes looked like Baracca gardens to me