Getting Sharfted by so called courses prior to leaving.

Discussion in 'The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs' started by Milly, May 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was just wondering if any one else has been shafted by so called pre- leaving courses. I did a course with " 24/7 Locksmith's " which proved costly to both myself and the RN, and proved a waist of time in the end because it was not even a recognised qualification in the end any way? :evil:
  2. Sounds about the same as when I was due to end service. The 'advisor' (and I use the term loosely) who was a retired three ringer, advised that I needed to do a six week course in Store-keeping in Yorkshire - as I was a dusty for 17 years, I think you can imagine my response to this load of cobblers.

A chum of mine went for a brickies course, before I left, completed it, went for jobs and was told on each and every one that he applied for that he 'did not have the relevant experience' - he got one in the end, but it took some searching.

3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Surely this problem should have been raised by your Resettlement Office or the Instructor prior to attending? 8O

Perhaps the qualification you did earn can be used as a foundation towards a recognised one? I find it hard to believe you completed a course without knowing what you were getting out of it... :roll:
  4. Same here, didn't you even look into it at all ?
  5. Strikes me as odd that public funds were applicable at all, any resettlement training has to be endorsed nowadays, and that endorsement involves accreditation.

It's not out of the question though, that it needs topped up to actually get a certificate.
  6. I can only say with finishing work on ill health that it is all the same.

Only job guarantee is the course leader keeps his/hers.

Yap! Yap! Yap! One course leader telling youngsters what to have for breakfast before they journey to college.

Take away that portfolio and ask a question not in the portfolio and to quote one woman lecturer"YOU ARE JUST A TROUBLE MAKER"

All I asked on the Horticulture course was how to take cuttings or take seeds from certain plants. Her answers was to go the garden centre and buy them it is easier. In other words I do not know!!!

All you need is a teacher training certificate jump on a NVQ course then you qualify to teach that subject!!!!
  7. PO Stoker, strange man that he is, did a course in website design which cost about £3000. He is now a train driver!
  8. sgtpepperband

Ah, I've seen his website:

Becoming a train driver...

9. I did exactly that I forwarded a detailed description of the short fall's of the course to both Elcas, and the resettlement office as well as the response past back to me from the Master Locksmith Association stating the the qualification that they past to us was a complete wast ( in fact it was a certificate generated on WORD) with a a bit of fancy transference form other places.

My son left a year or so later and showed me the exact same add in 'The Navy News ', I answered so obviously some one does not take notice of complaint's. :evil: :(
  10. Not quite sure what to make of that Milly?? Maybe read the fine print next time?
  11. These locksmith courses are not worth a thing, I have seen 5 day residential courses costing upwards of £2k. There are no recognised qualifications that you can do at a local college. The only way you can really get into that field really is to get a job with a lockie then go from there. Thats why I decided to go for IT courses which lead to be qualified as a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer, much more to my taste and the jobs pay fairly well.

12. sgtpepperband

Get a conviction for burglary and earn your qualification whilst in prison?! :twisted:
  13. That might work although I believe that most burglars just pop a window rather than being covert :D
  14. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

If you have no IT experience prior to gaining this qualification, I can guarantee you that you will struggle to get a job that pays even remotely well. MCSE is slowly but surely becoming known amongst employers as a 'paper qualification'. Employers are reluctant to allow someone near their servers and infrastructure without experience and the only way you'll get the experience is by making mistakes...

You're far better off getting a qualification such as GIAC or CEH but you need experience in IT security before you can obtain these.
  15. Hi Matelot

Thanks for that. I am going to do the ECDL at home (just to get it out of the way, most of it looks pretty easy), then in Sept do the A+ then the N+ in Feb, will try to get something basic at that stage then go via MSCA, then the 2000/2003 courses then take MCSE. If I get in the right firm at basic entry level while going through the first two courses I should be able to get the relevant experience under supervision. My old best man has been doing IT consultancy for 12 years so he might be able to point me at the right firms while I am studying part time (hopefully)

16. the_matelot

I've got ECDL-it's pointless-save your money.

A+ & N+ are good to get but they are basic quals-you'll need to realise that.

However, don't expect to get a well paid job to begin with-that comes with experience. The area is saturated with people clutching all these qualifications but with sod all experience.

If you can accept the fact that the first few years will be to gain experience on a not very good wage, then you'll be ok.

Check out for more info-it's quite good.
  17. Nothing seems to have changed with resettlement packages then, luckily i had my forklift license to fallback on with being a chockhead.
  18. Nice one Matelot

I shan't bother with ECDL then, seems a bit daft as I have spent the last 14 years using most of the packages they train you in.

I appreciate that A+ & N+ are basic and I don't mind starting at the bottom, its a good way to do it in any case. While working at the bottom I can do MCSA/MCSE and Cisco CCNA along with whatever else comes along part time. Every little bit helps :)

19. the_matelot

Duty rumour from industry (I've just done a civvy course run by a very reputable company) is that the MCSE qualifications are going to shortly go across to interview based rather than 'multiple guess' in order to weed out the amount of people winging it.
  20. Good thing really Matelot, multiple choice always gives a candidate a better chance. An interview means that you have to study and revise harder. I have recently found out that it would cost me about £500 in total to do A+ and N+ at my local college, whereas a private IT training company would want over £7k to go from ECDL, through A+/N+ via MCSA through to MCSE and CCNA including exam fees. Figured I would get the grounding in the first two while job hunting at the same time.

May I ask exactly what you do in the IT field Matelot? (if it doesn't compromise your persec>