Getting Nervous About Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by creddly, May 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well I've practiced answering the questions I think I'll be asked and I've read the literature endlessly (Even though it's not sticking as well as I'd hoped)

I just have to turn up to the interview and do my best and hope for the best.

That's all I can do.

But I'm so bloody nervous. I'm gonna take a bucket of calms in the morning! lol

2. I was shi**ing myself in the waiting room. Once we got started all my nerves vanished, the same will probably happen with you...so save yourself the trouble and don't get nervous in the waiting room!

3. Cheers mate.

So who was the person who interviewed you?

I'll be fine if the Officer interviewing me is at least neutral, or preferably pleasant. But if I get a right miserable sod, my nerves will get the better of me, I know it. lol

What questions were you asked mate if you don't mind me asking?

Did he ask you about recent news in the Royal Navy?

How detailed did you have to go with regards to the trade you want to do?

Because I'm trying to remember the literature word for word! lol

4. You only need to learn three things in twenty two years:

"I don't know, but I can find out" - tell them that at the interview and they will take you on as an Admiral.

Make sure you know where the emergency stop button is before you start something that can go on fire.

Don't mention your ability to pleasure youself six times in four hours if you don't want to go stoker.

Good luck!

5. lol 'I don't know but I can find out' sounds like a good one but I don't know why.

Thanks anyway mate.

What are you or were you in the Navy?

6. Look at his avatar Creddly, I think it says Super Stoker, you wont need powers of observation if you are going to be a Stoker, just how to operate a wheelspanner.Should only take a week or so to learn how to do that, unless you go as a Tiff then you will have to learn why.

7. Chill out, I just glance at the names.

You honestly never have nothing helpful to say to me do you hig?

And I don't mean in general, I literally mean ME.

It's the same before how you quipped 'I don't like Creddly's posts' and you never gave me an answer when I questioned why you made this statement!

8. "I don't know......." is gen up. Ships, being full of ammo and fuel means you can't really take an even educated guess at things - or you kill people (a bad thing). Hence you have like the army SOP's (standard operating procedures). These were (are?) called BR's (books of reference). So say you are starting a fire pump, but don't know how? You go to BR number one - which lists all BR's. Say BR number six is fire pumps, it will give you a step by step guide on how to start the pump - safely. You can also ask someone who knows, but you may have killed them the first time you started the pump!

At promotion boards they would often deliberatley ask you a question you don't know the answer too. If you say 'press the green start button', they give you the lash. If you say "I don't know, but I can find out, BR1.......", they give a big kiss.

Point 2 about knowing how to stop machinery before you start it is also actually true (as is number 3).

I was a stoker, an elite team that were kept on ships to clean passageways, fix toilets and see who could get the worst burns at the fire school, cos we were nails (and retarded).

9. Thanks for a helpful and detailed response mate.

I'm confused with the term 'stoker' as from what I've read, it's a term for any Engineer in general (According to the official website) or is it something more specific?

10. Creddly like a lot of people on here, i can`t wait for you to actually join up, your problem is that you ask a question, get a reply, then start to worry yourself sick over it, then ask the same question to others and start worrying again, FFS be yourself, dont try to out think those that are examining you, they have seen it all before, now chill out, go and get pissed on your three pints or whatever, and stop fretting.

11. Okay, you have a fair point there.

I can't wait to join either, but I can't speed up the process.

And I never asked what I've asked in this thread before.

I'm sorry I snapped, but I genuinely thought you were out to just annoy me!

12. Very shortly you are going to meet people that will really ANNOY you,learn to grow a thick skin, you will need it.

13. Thanks for a helpful and detailed response mate.

I'm confused with the term 'stoker' as from what I've read, it's a term for any Engineer in general (According to the official website) or is it something more specific?[/quote]

Uncle Albert (Only Fools and Horses), check his branch badge - was a stoker.

I was in 1987-1996, and the official title was Marine Engineering Mechanic (Mechanical) or MEM(M), who were the bastard children of 'real' stokers, eg those who actually shovelled the coal (stoked) into boilers. There was also MEM(L) L= Electrical 8O , started cross training both to MEM near the end of when I left. What they are called now, I have no idea. I just hope they are still drunken mongs who hate everyone, especially the Navy.

I believe the shoite that goes on my CV is: Part of ship that looked after main propulsion, hull integrity and hotel services. So engines / electricity / water / fuel / anyhting else that the other branches didn't want to do. But mostly cleaning, cleaning and cleaning.

14. Credders
    Don't worry about Higs. If you want to keep him sweet send him a few French birds addresses or phone numbers.

15. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Creddly, your an ex pongo yes?...they excepted you yes? why would the navy be any different? chill out for fcuksake, I for one wouldn't want someone like you in my fire team unless you learn to roll with the punches and take life as it comes. Being a bit nervous and aprehensive can be a good think but p1ssing conkers all day is not clever.

16. I agree - I take things to heart way too much. I admit I was wrong. Apologies. :wink:

lol But did you enjoy it? 8O

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hmmn, 09:30 tomorrow eh?

Hope it goes well - just remember to worry about it all night, oversleep & forget to bring in the bits of paper already requested.

That way you'll be no different to any other person joining-up!

Does that make you feel any better?

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Bless! Didn't they fly in a team of cleaners to look after you dear?

19. Well you're all telling me to chill out and I'm too stressed and you can't all be wrong!

THAT'S F**KING IT! - No more stressing!

I'm going into AFCO tomorrow to do my best and if he don't like me and tells me no, at least I can stop worrying and walk out knowing I did my best.

If he likes me and accepts me, even better! :evil:

20. I know that its easy for me to say this but try and stay calm, youll wonder what all the fuss was about after!

Goodluck though and let us all know how you get on.