Getting married in rig - a good idea?

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by metocman, Jan 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening folks, in about two weeks time I'm due to get hitched to the future Mrs and was wondering what opinions were on getting married in rig.

I know lots who have done it and no one has admitted to regretting it.

The thing is I will be the only military / naval person there and so am thinking I may look "out of place" also, as the wedding will be in Malaysia the rig to be worn should be Tropics right?

Also, I'm thinking mess undress might look better at the reception. Anyone got any opinions on any of the above?

I could always just chicken out and buy something locally when I'm out there and that would solve the logistics of getting the stuff out there.

Awaiting your valued advice!

2. PS am I right in thinking that the mess undress might make me out to be a walt?

3. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I got married in 1957 and chose civvies. I have regretted it ever since. I would, if I had my time over, be proud to wear my uniform. When you get older you'll look back and think, 'thats cool'.

4. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

All the best of luck to you and your future boss...sorry, wife.

5. I have a feeling you need to get permission to wear rig abroad but I may be wrong.

Do it. Chicks dig it.

6. Usually a rig wedding is done in number 1's, but with it being a tropical region I'm guessing that I should be wearing tropics, in which case, is it not going to look gash for both of us to be wearing white?

7. I got married in rig 38yrs ago. Not in tropical rig as it was in Blackpool in December.
    You go for it mate the brides maids love to touch your collar. :censored:

8. Do girls ever get married in uniform? Been to a few army weddings with guards of honour, where the groom and best man are serving, lots of guests in uniform looked lovely.
    Just wondered what happens if the bride is in service?

Congratulations metocman, hope you both have a fantastic day.

9. "Do girls ever get married in uniform?"

Nah, their fat a___s would spoil the wedding phots - better to hide it under all that white fluff instead.

Get married in rig - I did. It was a great day for me but it was a shame that my fiancee turned up and ruined it though ..

10. Did she have a fat arse then?

11. I got married in rig as well metocman. It's a free suit at the end of the day ain't it. Can't comment on tropics though after getting married in Scotland though.

12. Yup - my mother takes great delight in reminding me that whilst I walked towards the church I turned round and said "why the hell am I doing this?"
    'tis funny that once you buy a property with a woman and then marry them it is only then that you realise that they are up to their eyeballs in debt and you have to bail them (as well as yourself now .. what's hers is yours ...) out of the sh1t. Happened twice to me now :-(

Still get married in rig though to the OP

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Agree; best the bride wears a white dress - to match the kitchen applicances! :twisted:

14. One of our lads just got married in the Seychelles in tropics. Looked pretty good. Not sure why it has to be No1's if you are in the tropics? It's your day wear what makes you feel good.

Can't see some sad reggie nicking on you return to the UK for a violation of BR3 (BR81), tropics instead of 1's. Oh then again.......

15. I got married in rig mainly due to fact it was the only suit I had and some pedantic ex national service type tried to pick me up (not literally) as he reckoned my white tapes were too long. He didn't get a free wet at the bar afterwards.

16. Getting married full stop is not a good idea. Rig or no Rig!

17. There is the best advice - and of course what makes your future wife feel good.

I got married in rig in this country and was the only person rig there, and didn't feel at all out of place. My No1s are the best suit I own.

I know someone who recently got married abroad in Tropicals and his photos looked good.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Got married in rig the first time round!

Second time I was in a Hawaiian Shirt and Shorts barefoot on the beach! (In Hawaii)

At the end of the day its what you are most comfortable in.

19. +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rig concur.

The hidden bonus is at those unhappier times when she is confronted by the more awkward 'exigencies of the service/life in a blue suit she married you in'. Its then that those wedding Phots should remind her that you were married to the Pusser well before she came up on the radar screen.

Just don't you dare tell her that yourself though; for some strange reason they tend to flash up at that fact, regardless of whatever time of the month it is...
    :scratch:

20. I got married in my pongo rig. It's cool, it has shiny bits in the shoulders.