getting ill at CTC

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by C40235, May 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What happens if you fall ill during basic training? I don't mean a little sniffly nose, I'm talking high temperature, vomiting(from being ill, not pushing yourself to the limit in the gym), stomach bug, etc. Are you expected to
    a) carry on
    b) take time to recover
    c) be back trooped

Theres alot about dealing with injury, but nothing about this. I'm asking because whenever I've been badly ill, the question "Jesus, how the **** could I do a gym session or bottom field if I got an illness like this at CTC" frequently crosses my mind.
  2. The answer obviously is A. Carry on until your dead.

Then get up and carry on some more......:grin:

Then again SJRM_RN's answer looks more likely. ;-P
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DON'T. Seemples.
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

You will only be ill at Lympstone if your training team give you permission to be ill. They wont so dont worry about it.

The Corps has a very good medical set up at CTC, you'll get to see it in your first week there when your arm is used as a pin cushion and some friendly matelot cups your balls while you cough nervously at him, my best advice is to stay out of the place. Dont worry about getting the shits, I have never met anyone with this complaint who has been eating rat pack food, It'll make you shit all right but only every third day.
  5. Give him a cheeky grin and moan suggestively. They love it, the Man hoors. :)
  6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I always thought that you had to be sick to join the Royal Marines..? :shock:
  7. It's a distinct advantage, it cuts down on remedial perversion beastings.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So I assume many masochistic nods fail on purpose, then..? :twisted:
  9. You don't have to be, it just helps. :grin:

Staying on thread, I can't remember ever managing to stay still long enough while on camp for germs to settle!
    We did have an interesting few endurance run through's, where a spat of the shits had firmly embedded itself within the troop!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Sick at CTC

I got glandular fever in the first few weeks of training; I was in Devon and Exeter Hosp for a few days then when the fever broke back to the troop. Never got back squaded as I was a RM cadet before I joined as a junior and it seems that the ability to tie a puttee allowed me to stay in my original troop. I think the cut off time was a week any longer and I would of been passed back a week or two....

(232 Troop, Oct 1977)
  11. not sure if this helps but my brother got a chest infection when he was at Salisbury doing his basic with the black watch as a result of wading through rivers and shit. I had a valid concern of this myself, hence asking him. from what he's told me they told him to carry on but were obviously aware and gave them the benefit of the doubt by the end of the week when he'd managed to shake it off. I think he might have got one day out of PT or whatever if I remember rightly........then again though, he weren't a marine