Getting civilian security work in Iraq/Afgan

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Kola, May 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A lad I work with who used to be in the Para's mentioned he was looking for private security work in Iraq/Afgan. (wrong service forum I know, but im already a member here and peeps here seem friendly so thought Id ask)

Think he's chasing money so he'd want big pay. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can print something out for him.
  2. Yes we are friendly, tell him to forget it, going there as a serviceman at least you have your mates around you who will do everything in their power to protect you. As a civvie you may earn a few big bucks, the question is will you be alive to spend them?
  3. Top of RR's Home Page (Jobs)......some in there.

Or just Google "Blackwater" if he wants to wear expensive shades.

4. He may land a high paying job but ultimately it is a fools game. A lot of these guys are cowboys who have no concept of co-ordination or looking out for each other. I'm surprised there aren't more incidents involving them. I'd seriously try to talk him out of it.

5. I agree wholeheartedly with SilverFox mate,

I've been out there a few times now, and to be honest, it's good knowing that if the brown stuff hits the fan, you can be on the blower and the QRF and God forbid, a medical Incident Response Team will be hot pegging it to the helipad before you've put the radio down.

Those guys can't say that.
  6. OK, thanks for the honesty. I doubt he'd want to work with cowboys. He's solid as a rock at work and very pro.

Form talking to him, I think he felt he would be out there with a bunch of ex spec forces IE para's and marines. He was gonna talk to a few of his ex regiment but I said Id print something out for him.

any how, Ill let him know the general consensus.

Thanks fellas
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It's absolutely true to say the money is very good & for very good reason, as previously stated - you're on your own when it goes pear-shaped.

Many ex-Marines apply for it, try it, then re-join after a brief illumination.

The fact is you could well end-up in a close protection role & find yourself up against your former buddies because the bad guys pay more. It's happened before.