Getting civilian security work in Iraq/Afgan

A lad I work with who used to be in the Para's mentioned he was looking for private security work in Iraq/Afgan. (wrong service forum I know, but im already a member here and peeps here seem friendly so thought Id ask)

Think he's chasing money so he'd want big pay. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can print something out for him.

Kola said:
A lad I work with who used to be in the Para's mentioned he was looking for private security work in Iraq/Afgan. (wrong service forum I know, but im already a member here and peeps here seem friendly so thought Id ask)

Think he's chasing money so he'd want big pay. Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can print something out for him.
Yes we are friendly, tell him to forget it, going there as a serviceman at least you have your mates around you who will do everything in their power to protect you. As a civvie you may earn a few big bucks, the question is will you be alive to spend them?

He may land a high paying job but ultimately it is a fools game. A lot of these guys are cowboys who have no concept of co-ordination or looking out for each other. I'm surprised there aren't more incidents involving them. I'd seriously try to talk him out of it.

SF

Squirrel

Lantern Swinger
I agree wholeheartedly with SilverFox mate,

I've been out there a few times now, and to be honest, it's good knowing that if the brown stuff hits the fan, you can be on the blower and the QRF and God forbid, a medical Incident Response Team will be hot pegging it to the helipad before you've put the radio down.

Those guys can't say that.

OK, thanks for the honesty. I doubt he'd want to work with cowboys. He's solid as a rock at work and very pro.

Form talking to him, I think he felt he would be out there with a bunch of ex spec forces IE para's and marines. He was gonna talk to a few of his ex regiment but I said Id print something out for him.

any how, Ill let him know the general consensus.

Thanks fellas

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
It's absolutely true to say the money is very good & for very good reason, as previously stated - you're on your own when it goes pear-shaped.

Many ex-Marines apply for it, try it, then re-join after a brief illumination.

The fact is you could well end-up in a close protection role & find yourself up against your former buddies because the bad guys pay more. It's happened before.