Getting an entry date moved?

I have had my entry date moved back 3 times, not a projected date but actual offer of entry date with next to no explanation. There have been no major delays in my application and passed everything including my PRNC.

My joining date has been pushed back from July to October and now next march.

Now before you say 'its because of the role you chose', I do actually know two people who applied after me for the same role, had medical delays etc. One is in the fleet and the other in phase 2.

Is this a common occurrence and if so, anything I can do about it? Or is my AFCO just messing me around?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I have had my entry date moved back 3 times, not a projected date but actual offer of entry date with next to no explanation. There have been no major delays in my application and passed everything including my PRNC.

My joining date has been pushed back from July to October and now next march.

Now before you say 'its because of the role you chose', I do actually know two people who applied after me for the same role, had medical delays etc. One is in the fleet and the other in phase 2.

Is this a common occurrence and if so, anything I can do about it? Or is my AFCO just messing me around?
I feel your pain, truly.

Besides the usual stuff like delays to security clearance due to overseas travel, changes in circumstances such as family health, pending court appearances, changes in medical status, financial issues, unable to establish comms with the individual, etc....

Generally entry dates are usually only pushed back if there are too few individuals to make a course viable. Basically the service doesn't want to pay people if there isn't a training course lined-up so they can get their pound of flesh by getting gainful employment out of the.individual.

Some jobs are conditional and places offered on merit-based selection, particularly those over-subscribed such as Accelerated Apprentice, Diver and most Officer roles, whereby we select the best available rather than all those who pass selection, regardless of score.

The provisional offer of service letter which advises your nominated entry date, usually has a caveat to the effect the offer can be withdrawn or changed without notice (not that it helps the individual) due to service requirements.

What branch are you joining and what was the "next to no explanation" given?

If you are not satisfied with the explanation given, you have every entitlement to request an investigation and written explanation - it does not prejudice your application.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Belay my last. Reading back through your posts @Rob8967, I see you were delayed at medical first time around, failed two PRNCs in six weeks due to inadequate preparation, and were knocked back a year. You re-applied after two, your oppo joined as an AET and you're joining as an ET(WE), having elected not to join as an ET(WESM).

The timecales for ET(WE) have got longer as it's an over-subscribed branch, with a longer than average wait, but I'm surprised to hear you've had three offer of service letters, each putting your entry date back, that sounds odd.

I doubt anyone is deliberately "messing you about" but if you've changed branches since applying(?), you'll have gone to the back of the queue for the new branch unfortunately. If you want to message your details (unique reference number is enough), I'll happily look into it further on your behalf.

What branch are you joining and what was the "next to no explanation" given?

If you are not satisfied with the explanation given, you have every entitlement to request an investigation and written explanation - it does not prejudice your application.
Thank you for replying. I'm joining the weapons engineering branch and started my application 15 months ago (I know its not that long really, it's just the constant 'dangling a close date in front of me' that's making it tough).

My memory is a little hazy as I sort of zoned out after getting the news but I remember the reason being something along the lines of 'I've received an email saying your date has been moved back'. I understand if it was because of too many WE's but would have thought someone who put their bid in later than mine would be moved since my date had already been moved back for a similar reason.

Whilst I appreciate the advice, I'm not going to ask for an investigation as I don't want to make a scene, especially right at the beginning of my career nor would I ring the AFCO and start 'kicking off' until my date is moved as was suggested on a similar thread as 1. I know my recruiter has nothing to do with date allocations and 2. He is just doing his job.
I know the navy is what I want to do but the whole recruitment process can be pretty disenfranchising in all honesty.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I know the navy is what I want to do but the whole recruitment process can be pretty disenfranchising in all honesty.
I'm with you on that score, it is a convoluted and complex process without doubt.

One of the problems I see is that there are increasingly more and more hoops through which to jump and very often one branch will elect to change their entry parameters and whilst each change may be minor, it can add a whole heap of complexity when there are fifty-odd jobs, many of which have different types of interviews, additional selection boards or courses, fitness parameters, varying recruit test scores, different medical standards and levels of security clearance.

It does seem rather unfair that entry dates formally offered and notified are changed and again, it does not alter your suitability if you raise an enquiry.

The RAF open and close branches to recruitment which is good in some respects as it manages expectations of joining but it limits choices of jobs available at the point of submitting an application. This can then lead to people joining in the wrong job in the hope of later swapping.

With regard people joining in exactly the same branch as you but ahead of you, for ET(WE) General Service this should not happen - the entry date is requested upon passing the fitness test and allocated by (current) application date order. It does seem rather odd.

Some jobs are conditional and places offered on merit-based selection, particularly those over-subscribed such as Accelerated Apprentice, Diver and most Officer roles, whereby we select the best available rather than all those who pass selection, regardless of score.
Ninja, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a question with regards to the above.

I went on a pda in May and I was told before that if I pass I will be in Raleigh for July. I passed the pda and I was then told it wouldn't be July, more like January and I was not given any solid dates. A couple of weeks later I was then told I am "first reserve" for January and if not then I would be in Raleigh for May, again no actual dates to go on.

After discussing this with my AFCO I was told it's because there have been unusually high amount of people passing pda's this year. This confused me as everyone my pda passed despite some people getting some pretty uncompetitive scores. Before I even applied in 2016 I was told the diving branch only take the best of the best etc. but my experiences from pda seem to indicate the opposite.

In a similar fashion to OP I'm not trying to cause a scene or anything but is there any explanation for this? I was also told that Raleigh dates are allocated based on when candidates take their RT, is this true?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Ninja, sorry to resurrect an old thread but I have a question with regards to the above.

I went on a pda in May and I was told before that if I pass I will be in Raleigh for July. I passed the pda and I was then told it wouldn't be July, more like January and I was not given any solid dates. A couple of weeks later I was then told I am "first reserve" for January and if not then I would be in Raleigh for May, again no actual dates to go on.

After discussing this with my AFCO I was told it's because there have been unusually high amount of people passing pda's this year. This confused me as everyone my pda passed despite some people getting some pretty uncompetitive scores. Before I even applied in 2016 I was told the diving branch only take the best of the best etc. but my experiences from pda seem to indicate the opposite.

In a similar fashion to OP I'm not trying to cause a scene or anything but is there any explanation for this? I was also told that Raleigh dates are allocated based on when candidates take their RT, is this true?
The bottom line is than in 2016 the Diver branch was overborne by a significant number and rather than close the branch to recruitment, fresh applicants were advised that there was about a 36 month wait to join. Those already in the pipeline were given the opportunity to reconsider their career options.

Over time, the number of applicants has increased steadily but the number required has reduced, likewise the training places available.

My advice? Either consider joining the service in an alternative branch in the hope you may later transfer whilst serving after 30+ months, continue to wait out, or consider joining the RNR as a Diver (underwater force protection) whilst you wait (dual application).