Getting a job after leaving rn

Jp0901

Midshipman
Hello everyone I’m just wondering if there are many job opportunities for a former marine engineer on civvy street. I have only just passed my test a couple week ago and I just want to know if I’m making the right decision. My brother is ex army and now that he has left he is really struggling to find a job and I just don’t want to be put in the same situation as him. Cheers

slim

War Hero
As a marine engineer your engineering training should ensure that you are employable in civie street.
How employable is up to you.
The higher up the ladder you climb the more engineering and indeed management skills you will learn.
Go for it, I always say that the time to start planning for civie street is the day that you join, however that does not mean giving the rN all you have:)

Perry

Midshipman
I joined as as a JME and left as a WOMEA. Left the RN on a Tuesday started work on the Thursday and had 2 days unemployment for the next 20 years until I took early retirement.

You get out what you put in.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Hello everyone I’m just wondering if there are many job opportunities for a former marine engineer on civvy street. I have only just passed my test a couple week ago and I just want to know if I’m making the right decision. My brother is ex army and now that he has left he is really struggling to find a job and I just don’t want to be put in the same situation as him. Cheers
What did your brother do in the army, and what quals did he have when he left?

Jp0901

Midshipman
What did your brother do in the army, and what quals did he have when he left?
I don’t know the exact name of the job but it was fixing and maintaining tanks. He was given tickets to become a digger/dumper driver when he left but because he has had no experience on a work site, they were worthless

slim

War Hero
I don’t know the exact name of the job but it was fixing and maintaining tanks. He was given tickets to become a digger/dumper driver when he left but because he has had no experience on a work site, they were worthless
Before you leave the armed forces you are given opportunities to help resettle you in civvie life.
It seems that either your brother was not given these opportuities or failed to accept them.
There are many courses that you can do which encure that your service skills are of use to a civie employer.
As a tank maintainer he should be of value to the construction industry as much of the machinery will use the same track design and similar Hydraulic systems to those he was fixing in the army.

Jp0901

Midshipman
I think it may have something to do with the area we live in. We live in quite a small town with not much opportunity’s for work and my brother does have quite a few problems with depression aswell but thanks for the info

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Plant hire companies a always on the look out for people with your brothers experience in the maintenance field.