Getting a few days Ships Visit

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Potential_Officer, Apr 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As many as you may know, I recently somehow managed to convince a Board of Officers that I would potentially make a good RN Officer. Now in the downtime between now and a possible BRNC entry date, who would be best, if it is now at all possible, to talk to about getting a few days sail on a Warship? One of my friends through cadets managed to get a week on Chatham (into Chatham) and told me it was a brilliant week.

I know that this is what I want to do, but I think that the extra experience would be of much help in the first (and no doubt long) seven weeks training.

Any answers much appreciated.

2. You could try going to Portsmouth or Plymouth and spending a few days using the Gosport or Torpoint ferry to get some sea time in.
    The way this government is performing we may have no ships left by the time you qualify.

3. Ahh the Gosport ferry, will I be able to claim cost of the ticket back from HMG?

Torpoint ferry doesn't really count, is that not the one on a Chain?

4. How about the Pompey to Cherbourg ferry? The only ship I've ever been seasick on...and it was flat calm!

5. You are correct. the Torpoint ferry runs on chains, it's a hangover from our slaving days and is meant to stop it running away. Which means that Tony B will shortly be apologising to the Torpoint ferry, if there are any votes to be gained from such an action.

6. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The person who could fix you up with such a trip is your AFCO contact.

8. I've not heard of anything like it before, apart from sea cadets.

9. I went on the PWO 3 day jolly, but the the only seatime I managed was Bristol for sleeping and a tour of Southampton. I would recommend that you try and get a similar gig, if you haven't already, as it was alot of fun!

10. P_O You can book a day return from Pompey to Caen through Brittany ferries (on-line) for £7.50.
    You could go over on the Fastcat, return on the big fat slow one, get pissed, trap, gob off, get filled in and spew up.
    All that experience, two classes of ship, nine hours sea time all for the price of a fish supper.

11. On Bristol? Been there done that, including the stupidly long walk for scran in the morning, by the time you get back on board you are ready for some more scran. Ahh the joys of cadets! And why did you get a tour of Southampton?

12. Ok so it wasn't exactly seatime!!
    We were made to march everywhere during our visit, even to breakfast, so believe me you were lucky to get away with a pleasant stroll!

I am not too sure why we were allowed on Southampton but half of the ship's company were on leave so we had a pretty free run around. So you have been on a PWO acquaint? Did you get a jolly to Collingwood??

13. All the experience I've had with the mob is either through Cadets or through my Officer Uncle (recently left the Navy). He did arrange for me to have a play around in the ops room at Collingwood, that was interesting. Also I'm not sure if you've seen the Type 45 mock up on Portsdown Hill, I had a tour of that, and even though it is not a full size mock up (I believe the Hanger and Foc'sle are cut off) the thing looks huge!

The stroll to breakfast was a march, doubling would have been a bastard!

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To arrange a seagoing ship acquaint talk to your ACLO,

15. What are you complaining about: your first taste of naval life - though the marching to scran reminds me of secondary school, and lining up in the dinner queue and trying to squeeze in along a wobbly long wooden bench still holding your dinner plate and bowl of chocolate sponge n chocolate sauce/semolina or jam duff and custard... Mmmmmmmmm. I suppose children there days are used to be waited on by the dinner ladies, seated on small tables with chairs!

16. So you are saying they don't do alot then? I thought he would be the man to speak to, I guess I will have to wait until they all come back from Easter leave!

17. If I remember rightly Matlo_Caroline did something like this a while ago last summer. She may be the best person to contact for pointers on who to contact at the OCLC, etc. The thread is probably lying around in Newbies somewhere early on.

PNG

18. Moaning because it is a woman's prerogative. I enjoyed the whole affair, even the marching!

19. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

If you fail to get on a ship, get yerself down to Guz or Pompey, get sh1tfaced..pull a munter...at least you'll start training with a few dits to tell.

20. [quote="slim

You are correct. the Torpoint ferry runs on chains, it's a hangover from our slaving days and is meant to stop it running away. Which means that Tony B will shortly be apologising to the Torpoint ferry, if there are any votes to be gained from such an action.[/quote]

LMAO... nice one Slim - but you forgot to mention the army of social workers and Ambulance chasers that will also decend on dear old Plymouth.. one lot to counsel it for all its years of oppression and subserviance to its vicious Imperialist owners, and the other to file for reparation payments!!!

F_J