Gerry Rafferty RIP

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by seafarer1939, Jan 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got to say it's a bit sad news for me.Trudging up and down gigs with my band, I always played a couple of his numbers as I did at home every day.
    They always went down well and not because of my singing or playing.
    It was his music and not just Baker St or Stuck in the Middle.
    I think he composed some wonderful songs and his voice was superb for that type of songs.
    I had hoped he would write more but I knew he a had a serious booze problem[most musicians/Vocalists do!] but I never thought he would pass this early.
    Still his Baker St and Stuck! will be played as long as music is played,you can't get better than that. RIP
  2. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Bugger, should have had him in the dead pool.
  3. Made a shedload of money and promptly set about drinking himself to death - he would have made a good skate :D :D
  4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Bob Holness played saxophone on "Baker Street". Maybe.
  5. First Pete Postlethwaite and now Gerry, not a good start to the year and I never had either of those names down.
  6. Does this mean we are going to be subjected to two days of that gash Baker Street song on the radio?
  7. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

What about Mick Karn, the bass player from Japan (the 80s group, not the country), because he's just shuffled off this mortal coil too.
  8. Never heard of him
  9. Fcuk me, that is a lame and obscure celebrity.

I heard the production assistant who worked on the original Ace Ventura movie also died.
  10. Gerry who?

2 hit wonder and neither of them a No1.
  11. (extracted from D/Tel obits)

Raphael Ravenscroft, who received a one-off session fee of £27. The cheque bounced, and Ravenscroft had it framed and hung on the wall of his lawyer’s office.
  12. It's only a game.
  13. It may be a game to you but it's life or death for some poor bugger!!!!
  14. I meant death watch - do pay attention to detail old chap.
  15. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

To be honest, I didn't know his name, but being an old fart who can remember the music of the late 70s and early 80s it was the reference to Japan that caught my eye.
  16. Sorry, are you saying you caught something in your japs eye?
  17. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Apparantly, Rafferty is going to be buried next to Ronald McDonald and Heath Ledger.

Clown to the left of him, joker to the right.