Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German boss fires staff for not smoking

There are times when I admire the boxheads.

In case anyone is wondering, I don't smoke but I do believe in protecting the existing freedoms of the individual.
 

OSLO

War Hero
Passed-over_Loggie said:
There are times when I admire the boxheads.

In case anyone is wondering, I don't smoke but I do believe in protecting the existing freedoms of the individual.

And it's the right of smokers to slowly kill non-smokers, is it?
 
I don't know if it ever got off the ground but a German company tried to start a smokers only airline.
Operating out of Frankfurt the aircraft would have been totally smoking with no provision made for those who don't smoke..
Smintair is I believe the name of the operation..
I've had a bit of a history with the airline business and this one is almost bound to succc.........FAIL!
I don't approve of laws that restrict peoples freedoms, but, don't half like not having to put all my clothes in the washer after a night at the pub!! :thumright:
 
sussex2 said:
I don't know if it ever got off the ground but a German company tried to start a smokers only airline.
Operating out of Frankfurt the aircraft would have been totally smoking with no provision made for those who don't smoke..
Smintair is I believe the name of the operation..
I've had a bit of a history with the airline business and this one is almost bound to succc.........FAIL!
I don't approve of laws that restrict peoples freedoms, but, don't half like not having to put all my clothes in the washer after a night at the pub!! :thumright:

Problem is you canna put your lungs in the washing machine.

Said to one guy at the DIY shop you should be out in the sunshine mate a voiced called I am.

The smoking wench outside informed me this was a infringement on her civil liberties having to sit outside.

Emphysema Causes

Cigarette smoking is by far the most dangerous reason that people develop emphysema, and it is also the most preventable cause. Other risk factors include a deficiency of an enzyme called alpha-1-antitrypsin, air pollution, airway reactivity, heredity, male sex, and age.

* The importance of cigarette smoking as a risk factor for developing emphysema cannot be overemphasized. Cigarette smoke contributes to this disease process in 2 ways. It destroys lung tissue, which is the cause of the obstruction, and it causes inflammation and irritation of airways that can cause the disease to get worse.

o Destruction of lung tissue occurs in several ways. First, cigarette smoke directly affects the cells in the airway responsible for clearing mucus and other secretions. Occasional smoking temporarily disrupts the sweeping action of tiny hairs called cilia that line the airways. Continued smoking leads to longer dysfunction of the cilia. Long-term exposure to cigarette smoke causes the cilia to disappear from the cells lining the air passages

 
Yuk!
I've always maintained that people have a right to smoke.
They also have a responsibility to ensure that others do not, against their wishes, inhale that smoke.
It is just so much more pleasant in pubs/bars/eating places now.
If only the smokers had given a bit of leeway, some sort of compromise, then perhaps the complete ban would have been avoided.
But they didn't and we have what we have.
Even in France it is now the case that you cannot smoke. In Spain they have a different law, but smoking is far less common than it used to be.
I can't see why the smokers complain as there seems to be a whole new social network standing outside pubs etc and putting the world to rights.
 

Oil_Slick

War Hero
Yeah! Top Kraut!


I don't smoke, never have, but can't stand the anti smoking nazis… and it's the ex smokers who are the worst zealots.
 
OSLO said:
And it's the right of smokers to slowly kill non-smokers, is it?

Well they have been free to do that unproven activity for nearly 500 years; so, up to a point, yes. I clearly have a similar right to kill people who don't have a motor vehicle with the noxious combustion products from either of mine. Diesel or ULGAS, no preference.
 

Oil_Slick

War Hero
Meh…

Anti smoking nazis are just the same as the people who rant about my gas-guzzling-planet-destroying-polluting-kid-crunching 4x4.

Don't like it? Stay away from it.
 

ex_Yeo

Midshipman
Oil_Slick said:
Meh…

Anti smoking nazis are just the same as the people who rant about my gas-guzzling-planet-destroying-polluting-kid-crunching 4x4.

</snip>

This isn't right, I can't stand smoking but I also drive a 4x4 ;-)

Ian
 
During the years when Bubonic Plague was prevalent in this country, pupils at Eton were ordered to smoke tobacco on pain of being birched. This arose from a mistaken belief, popularised by a quack of the time, that tobacco fumes protected you from the plague. It's a bit like those African pollies who claim that having sex with a virgin kills HIV!

Maybe they got confused with burning at the stake. All stake victims did indeed avoid dying of the plague. Bit drastic though, if you ask me! o_O :biggrin:

PS: I love smoked fish!
 

PINCH

War Hero
BERLIN (Reuters) - The owner of a small German computer company has fired three non-smoking workers because they were threatening to disturb the peace after they requested a smoke-free environment.
(Advertisement)

The manager of the 10-person IT company in Buesum, named Thomas J., told the Hamburger Morgenpost newspaper he had fired the trio because their non-smoking was causing disruptions.

Germany introduced non-smoking rules in pubs and restaurants on January 1, but Germans working in small offices are still allowed to smoke.

"I can't be bothered with trouble-makers," Thomas was quoted saying. "We're on the phone all the time and it's just easier to work while smoking. Everyone picks on smokers these days. It's time for revenge. I'm only going to hire smokers from now on."

The still small voice of Tolerance

What a breath of fresh air Hack :pukel: Hack :pukel: Hack :pukel:
 

LujonSA

War Hero
thingy said:
During the years when Bubonic Plague was prevalent in this country, pupils at Eton were ordered to smoke tobacco on pain of being birched. This arose from a mistaken belief, popularised by a quack of the time, that tobacco fumes protected you from the plague.

Are you sure?

Bubonic Plague, (black death) struck in the fourteenth centuary, 1347 to 1351. :pukel:

Eton college was founded in 1440.

Sir Walter Raleigh, who brought tobacco to Europe lived from 1552 to 1618.


Are you still sure?????????
 
Technically the title is wrong, the staff were fired for making such a fuss they were considered to be a liability by disturbing the normal working pattern. If not smoking could get you fired then I would be in the sh1t (as usual). Informed opinion here says the Boss could get hammered in Court, but that remains to be seen.
 

andym

War Hero
LujonSA said:
thingy said:
During the years when Bubonic Plague was prevalent in this country, pupils at Eton were ordered to smoke tobacco on pain of being birched. This arose from a mistaken belief, popularised by a quack of the time, that tobacco fumes protected you from the plague.

Are you sure?

Bubonic Plague, (black death) struck in the fourteenth centuary, 1347 to 1351. :pukel:

Eton college was founded in 1440.

Sir Walter Raleigh, who brought tobacco to Europe lived from 1552 to 1618.


Are you still sure?????????

There was a Plague in 1665 to 1666.

It began in London in the poor, overcrowded parish of St. Giles-in-the-Field. It started slowly at first but by May of 1665, 43 had died. In June 6137 people died, in July 17036 and at its peak in August, 31159 people died. In all, 15% of the population perished during that terrible summer.
 

LujonSA

War Hero
andym said:
LujonSA said:
thingy said:
During the years when Bubonic Plague was prevalent in this country, pupils at Eton were ordered to smoke tobacco on pain of being birched. This arose from a mistaken belief, popularised by a quack of the time, that tobacco fumes protected you from the plague.

Are you sure?

Bubonic Plague, (black death) struck in the fourteenth centuary, 1347 to 1351. :pukel:

Eton college was founded in 1440.

Sir Walter Raleigh, who brought tobacco to Europe lived from 1552 to 1618.


Are you still sure?????????

There was a Plague in 1665 to 1666.

It began in London in the poor, overcrowded parish of St. Giles-in-the-Field. It started slowly at first but by May of 1665, 43 had died. In June 6137 people died, in July 17036 and at its peak in August, 31159 people died. In all, 15% of the population perished during that terrible summer.

Gosh aren't you clever, I forgot that one. I hope that you avoided the great fire that followed it and that you made a full and speedy recovery.
 

andym

War Hero
LujonSA said:
Gosh aren't you clever, I forgot that one. I hope that you avoided the great fire that followed it and that you made a full and speedy recovery.

Yep Huge font of ******* useless knowledge thats me.

P.s. the fire that started in Pudding Lane you mean?LOL
 

mikh

MIA
way back when (93 or 94) the cash office at HMS Neptune was still a smoking office, the boss pulled me to one side (I was one of the 2 smokers in the office) and asked that i agree to make it a smoke free room as he had been getting complaints from a lwwtr, I requested that a disused room next to the cash office be turned into a smokers room, which he thought was a good idea, the room was duly converted and the cash office became smoke free, the lwwtr who had done the complaining about the smell and the effects on her health was to be regularly found in the smoking room after that, which I hasten to add was a lot smokier than the cash office ever was.

Jump forward a few years, working in a factory, canteen in two sections, smoke free (quite large) enclosed smoking area with very large extractor and air purifier, the smokers regularly could not get a seat in the smokers bit due to the number of non smokers in there.

14th December 2007, myself and 2 colleagues have to travel 100 miles for works do, all three are smokers, they have co vehicles, i do not, due to the current legislation we traveled in my car as we could not legally smoke in the co vehicles.

The exchequer rakes in millions upon millions of £'s from smokers, if we all quit tomorrow, boy would taxes go up.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS UK enforces new sanctions against Russia for cyber attack on German parliament MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Russia: UK responds to French and German statement on the poisoning of Alexey Navalny MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary's speech at meeting of UK, German and French defence ministers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint statement from Foreign Secretary and German Foreign Minister following bilateral meeting in Berlin MoD News 0
soleil CornwallLive: "German First World War Shipwreck Appears At Cornwall Beach After Storms" History 3
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary Ben Wallace discusses European and wider security challenges with German counterpart MoD News 0
soleil BBC News: "German WWI Wreck Scharnhorst Discovered Off Falklands" History 1
MoD_RSS Remarks at the German Embassy by the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster: 3 October 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Strait of Hormuz incident: Foreign Secretary calls with French and German foreign ministers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: German President to lay Wreath at Cenotaph Service MoD News 0
Taztiff German misfire issues International 8
D Postwar German Warships History 8
Ageing_Gracefully Book Comp: With the German Guns Competitions 13
MoD_RSS News story: Italian, German, Spanish and UK MAAs conduct Recognition MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary meets French, German and US counterparts and EU High Rep... MoD News 0
Rodgersthecabinboy The German. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 11
S german u boat The Book Club 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary meets with German counterpart MoD News 0
A New WW1 ebook: Manfred von Richthofen:WW1 German Flying Ace. The Book Club 0
A New ebook: The Red Baron:WW1 German Flying Ace. 100th WW1 Anniversary Edition. The Book Club 10
onions New German Defence Minister Current Affairs 12
BFRS German Speaking Sales Professional The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
F Titskreig..........German soldiers develop breasts Diamond Lil's 7
Waspie German braves the cold - PMSL Miscellaneous 2
MoD_RSS Royal Navy blows up WW2 German mine in Thames Estuary Current Affairs 0
Ageing_Gracefully Bismarck: The story of German's greatest Battleship The Book Club 0
soleil Pompey News: "700 German Sailors Arrive In Portsmouth" Bases / Shore Est 2
scouse German Cemetery in Cannock Chase Travel & The Great Outdoors 6
MoD_RSS HMS Bulwark visits home of German Navy Current Affairs 7
janner German Tourist Miscellaneous 0
G Installation Engineer, (German Speaking) Euro 35,000 – 40,000 plus great benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
BillyNoMates Rare photos of Herman the German 1920's to World War II Diamond Lil's 0
C German Navy 206A class Submariners 5
trelawney126 Dutch ANNEX German Port Starting point for WW3 Diamond Lil's 0
trelawney126 Crossing the Line German Fashion Diamond Lil's 0
J German and the Tart Blue Jokes 0
M German weather München/ HMS Somali History 0
S German War Graves International 20
sgtpepperband German Jokes Diamond Lil's 18
Trigger_92 German Righty's Diamond Lil's 10
WhizzbangDai German's getting 'soft' Current Affairs 0
D Divers find German WW1 submarine "U40" Submariners 8
O Joining after national service in the German navy Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
sgtpepperband German composer Stockhausen dies Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 2
Good_CO Another new forum - and German Board Games Hobbies & The Great Indoors 0
golden_rivet German submariners ring???? Submariners 6
chinamatelot German war graves - U Boat potentially resurfacing Current Affairs 4
Oil_Slick German S Boats mowing down Greepeace clowns Diamond Lil's 37
N Well Known German Submarine The Gash Barge 4
A German Porkies? The Gash Barge 0
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

Top