German boss fires staff for not smoking

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Backpacker1uk, Jan 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There are times when I admire the boxheads.

In case anyone is wondering, I don't smoke but I do believe in protecting the existing freedoms of the individual.
  2. And it's the right of smokers to slowly kill non-smokers, is it?
  3. I don't know if it ever got off the ground but a German company tried to start a smokers only airline.
    Operating out of Frankfurt the aircraft would have been totally smoking with no provision made for those who don't smoke..
    Smintair is I believe the name of the operation..
    I've had a bit of a history with the airline business and this one is almost bound to succc.........FAIL!
    I don't approve of laws that restrict peoples freedoms, but, don't half like not having to put all my clothes in the washer after a night at the pub!! :thumright:
  4. Problem is you canna put your lungs in the washing machine.

Said to one guy at the DIY shop you should be out in the sunshine mate a voiced called I am.

The smoking wench outside informed me this was a infringement on her civil liberties having to sit outside.

Emphysema Causes

Cigarette smoking is by far the most dangerous reason that people develop emphysema, and it is also the most preventable cause. Other risk factors include a deficiency of an enzyme called alpha-1-antitrypsin, air pollution, airway reactivity, heredity, male sex, and age.

* The importance of cigarette smoking as a risk factor for developing emphysema cannot be overemphasized. Cigarette smoke contributes to this disease process in 2 ways. It destroys lung tissue, which is the cause of the obstruction, and it causes inflammation and irritation of airways that can cause the disease to get worse.

o Destruction of lung tissue occurs in several ways. First, cigarette smoke directly affects the cells in the airway responsible for clearing mucus and other secretions. Occasional smoking temporarily disrupts the sweeping action of tiny hairs called cilia that line the airways. Continued smoking leads to longer dysfunction of the cilia. Long-term exposure to cigarette smoke causes the cilia to disappear from the cells lining the air passages

5. Yuk!
    I've always maintained that people have a right to smoke.
    They also have a responsibility to ensure that others do not, against their wishes, inhale that smoke.
    It is just so much more pleasant in pubs/bars/eating places now.
    If only the smokers had given a bit of leeway, some sort of compromise, then perhaps the complete ban would have been avoided.
    But they didn't and we have what we have.
    Even in France it is now the case that you cannot smoke. In Spain they have a different law, but smoking is far less common than it used to be.
    I can't see why the smokers complain as there seems to be a whole new social network standing outside pubs etc and putting the world to rights.
  6. Yeah! Top Kraut!

I don't smoke, never have, but can't stand the anti smoking nazis… and it's the ex smokers who are the worst zealots.
  7. Well they have been free to do that unproven activity for nearly 500 years; so, up to a point, yes. I clearly have a similar right to kill people who don't have a motor vehicle with the noxious combustion products from either of mine. Diesel or ULGAS, no preference.
  8. Meh…

Anti smoking nazis are just the same as the people who rant about my gas-guzzling-planet-destroying-polluting-kid-crunching 4x4.

Don't like it? Stay away from it.
  9. This isn't right, I can't stand smoking but I also drive a 4x4 ;-)

10. During the years when Bubonic Plague was prevalent in this country, pupils at Eton were ordered to smoke tobacco on pain of being birched. This arose from a mistaken belief, popularised by a quack of the time, that tobacco fumes protected you from the plague. It's a bit like those African pollies who claim that having sex with a virgin kills HIV!

Maybe they got confused with burning at the stake. All stake victims did indeed avoid dying of the plague. Bit drastic though, if you ask me! o_O :biggrin:

PS: I love smoked fish!
  11. BERLIN (Reuters) - The owner of a small German computer company has fired three non-smoking workers because they were threatening to disturb the peace after they requested a smoke-free environment.

The manager of the 10-person IT company in Buesum, named Thomas J., told the Hamburger Morgenpost newspaper he had fired the trio because their non-smoking was causing disruptions.

Germany introduced non-smoking rules in pubs and restaurants on January 1, but Germans working in small offices are still allowed to smoke.

"I can't be bothered with trouble-makers," Thomas was quoted saying. "We're on the phone all the time and it's just easier to work while smoking. Everyone picks on smokers these days. It's time for revenge. I'm only going to hire smokers from now on."

The still small voice of Tolerance

What a breath of fresh air Hack :pukel: Hack :pukel: Hack :pukel:

12. I can black cat that,i do both! :nike:
  14. Technically the title is wrong, the staff were fired for making such a fuss they were considered to be a liability by disturbing the normal working pattern. If not smoking could get you fired then I would be in the sh1t (as usual). Informed opinion here says the Boss could get hammered in Court, but that remains to be seen.
  17. Yep Huge font of ******* useless knowledge thats me.

P.s. the fire that started in Pudding Lane you mean?LOL
  18. way back when (93 or 94) the cash office at HMS Neptune was still a smoking office, the boss pulled me to one side (I was one of the 2 smokers in the office) and asked that i agree to make it a smoke free room as he had been getting complaints from a lwwtr, I requested that a disused room next to the cash office be turned into a smokers room, which he thought was a good idea, the room was duly converted and the cash office became smoke free, the lwwtr who had done the complaining about the smell and the effects on her health was to be regularly found in the smoking room after that, which I hasten to add was a lot smokier than the cash office ever was.

Jump forward a few years, working in a factory, canteen in two sections, smoke free (quite large) enclosed smoking area with very large extractor and air purifier, the smokers regularly could not get a seat in the smokers bit due to the number of non smokers in there.

14th December 2007, myself and 2 colleagues have to travel 100 miles for works do, all three are smokers, they have co vehicles, i do not, due to the current legislation we traveled in my car as we could not legally smoke in the co vehicles.

The exchequer rakes in millions upon millions of £'s from smokers, if we all quit tomorrow, boy would taxes go up.