General uni prep I can do

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by JCT, Mar 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. JCT

JCT Badgeman

Basically, I'm looking at MAYBE applying to be a Warfare officer when I get out of uni, it's something I've always wanted to do [serve in the forces], I can't bear the thought of shunting money for banks around behind a desk my whole life.

Is there anything I can do to prepare at uni to put me ahead of the rest? Aside from keeping fit and staying on top of my service/current affairs knowledge, is there much I can do? I think URNU is a no-no, because I've already started and, studying in Leicester, there aren't any nearby units.

Would it be worth joining the OTC next year? Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances?

Cheers guys
  2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Methinks more commitment on your part will move those with ideas to spend some time helping you out.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. JCT

JCT Badgeman

The only reason I said that is because I would be joining as a second year, and as competition is fierce and priority is given to those in the first year, UOTC may be a better option.
  4. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

UOTC may also put you off a military career. If i was you, i'd do some research and have a pint or two with some people who are serving.
  5. Not sure how much service life info the Uni bar staff are going to be able to give him. :grin:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JCT

One thing which I would suggest is that you begin the application process while you are at Uni, rather than waiting until you have left to start it. It takes roughly 8 - 12 months to successfully navigate the various components of an Officer application. For a Warfare Officer, this would mean the RT (the entrance test which all applicants do), a Medical, the Fitness Test, your Sift with the Area Careers Liaison Officer and then, all being well, the AIB:

Intakes at BRNC are in February, May, September and November and a Selection Board sits on a regular basis to consider to whom to offer a place. Bear in mind that an AIB pass is not a guarantee of a place - you will want to obtain the best score you can in order to be in the running.

Something which you will be asked about by the ACLO will be your leadership potential, so seize any opportunities you may have at Uni to develop those particular skills, as you will be asked to give examples.

If you have the opportunity to visit a ship, you should take it. If something comes in to the East Coast, you could get the train over to, say, Great Yarmouth for a look around/chat. There are usually larger multi-ship events in Portsmouth/Plymouth, so look out for one of those and go down there.

I would also suggest reading Navy News on a regular basis (W H Smith and all good newsagents etc).
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Belay my last, Soleil will help anyone, deserving or otherwise. And her advice is sound.
  8. JCT

JCT Badgeman

Many thanks Soleil, I'll try and get myself involved in as many committee positions as possible, and I guess apply in September of 2014. My hometown is Bristol so it'll be fairly easy to arrange visits down to plym.

I've applied once before, an application that I stopped, that time for a Sixth form scholarship, so I know what the process is and everything, think it's done in a different order for full applications though. I was told to beef up my leadership experience in my sift so I've been working on that gradually over the years.

Thanks for the advice, I'll need it!
  9. If your final academic year starts in October 2014, start your application towards the end of the summer term, say June 2014. That way, you will have the summer holidays to get your head around the RT. If you pass that before you start your last year at Uni, you can then fit in the Medical/Fitness aspects during the autumn term, obligations which are more manageable than the task of revising for the RT, which will get in the way of your academics. If you can time things properly, you might be able to have your Sift in the New Year, which gives you the Christmas hols to get ready for that.

Don't forget that the target scores in the RT for Warfare Officer are not low, so don't rest on your laurels.

PS Consider something more active than just turning up for committee meetings in your quest to acquire leadership skills.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  10. I'm currently applying as a Warfare Officer (SM). (AIB on Tuesday.) I did two years in the OTC and can say that if you're wanting leadership experience, I would go for it. As much as it's not Navy specific training, it will give you a small taste of what life in the military is like and the leadership training/opportunities are top notch.
  11. JCT

I thought of something else after I had written my other posts.

You should ask the ACLO about the chance of a place on a (POC) Potential Officer Candidate Visit; their aim is to allow candidates to see the Service at first hand, meet serving personnel in their workplace, broaden candidates' understanding of Service life, inform them about the Service and give them an insight into the Service's ethos.

Visits are available to both ships and shore establishments. There is also the possibility of a place at the BRNC Summer Camp or involvement in events such as Meet Your Navy.

Particularly suitable candidates for places on a POC are those who have reasonable potential for passing AIB but who have only had limited exposure to the Service (i.e. no family connections or cadet time).

Recommendations for places are made by the ACLO, so that is the person with whom you should liaise on this.

There are RN Careers Advisors based in Leicester (St George's Way, near the station). Although you are planning relatively far ahead, it might be a good idea to drop in to see them for a chat.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  12. In regards to this, in particular the bits in bold, is that a necessary prerequisite for this to happen? As I've had quite a bit of exposure to the RN but I'd still be interested in this?
  13. Tomahawk

I realised after reading your question that I hadn't written that part of my post particularly well, so I have rewritten it.

CNR SO2 Visits deals with POC place allocation and allocates a number of places on CNR sponsored visits to each Officer Careers Liaison Centre, for which the ACLO for your region puts forward a carefully considered list of recommended candidates.

To have a chance of being included on the list in your area, have a word with your ACLO via your AFCO, which I think is one of the ones on this list:

Scotland-Northern Ireland-Northern England | Royal Navy

14. I'm assuming you are referring to an Aquaint?
    When I was in college, before I had even started the official application process, I went on a warfare aquaint course.
    I spent 3 odd days at HMS Excellent, with day trips to HMS Collingwood. We had presentations from a number of different areas telling us what was involved, and showing us some generally exciting things.

The amount of service knowledge I got there, was beyond useful!
    We stayed on board HMS Bristol, which when combined with a T42 ship visit, was infinitely useful.

Possibly the best thing I did for my application, however I did feel slightly out of place as I was much younger than everyone else, most of which had already received an AIB date.

But still worth getting on if possible. Duke of Edinburgh is the other thing that I actually found very useful for my AIB. It gave me lots of leadership experiences that I could talk about. But obviously, they don't want to hear about just one thing, they want to hear about different things you are involved with if possible.
  15. Thanks, I'll ring them up but I've been in Sea Cadets for 6 and 1/2 years so I doubt I'll qualify for the "limited exposure to the service" :)
  16. JCT

JCT Badgeman

Alright, cheers for this, I'll go in after the easter break, alternatively there's one in Bristol so I could well end up in there. My exposure to the RN is literally zero so hopefully I might be in with a shot!

In the mean time I'll try and get some leadership experience. I'll get myself a subscription to Navy News too. £27 isn't a bad investment!

Also, for anyone who's interested, 'Officers and Gentlemen' is showing on Military History, Channel 531, this Saturday, starting at 2pm. It's about training at BRNC, and is fairly up to date.
  17. Military History Channel, Saturday 23rd, at 1400 is a program called:
    [h=5]Soviet Storm[/h][h=4]Defence Of Sevastopol, The[/h]
    Where did you hear about Officers and Gentleman being on?
    I desperately want to watch it!
  18. JCT

JCT Badgeman

I am in the process of finding out for you! I had my Dad add it to the sky planner because I'm at uni, think he had some trouble finding it. I'll get back to you.
  19. JCT

JCT Badgeman

Apparently he found it in the place and time I said it would be, Sky 531, 2pm, Saturday. I think the Military History website is broken or something.

edit: Yep, it's the History Channel's fault.
  20. Wonderful, I shall set that to record tonight, thanks! :D