General Service Shifts

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Graeme, Jul 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just out of interest i was wondering what is the general shift pattern on board a warship. I'm waiting on my PRNC date before i join the subs so i know that on a sub i will be working 6 on 6 off but i was just interested to see if that was the same shift pattern on a warship.

2. It all depends on what branch you wish to join as.

3. They're not called shifts. The navy does "watches", 7 in a day. Forenoon, Afternoon, Firstdog, Lastdog, First, Middle, Morning, 4 hours each with the exception of the Dogs which are 2 hours each. It will depend on what the ship is doing with regards to the "watch system" in place as there are many different patterns that are worked.

4. wal

wal Badgeman

Now! who is going to explain 1 in 3 West country?

Also could they also explain the roster for a two man submarine giving 50% leave?

5. Watch on, stop on.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 1 in 3 West country... Afternoon, Lastdog, Morning, Firstdog, Middle, Forenoon, First....(All night in from midnight)

7. AWOL or just lock up the can and sod off

8. Our 1 in 3 works - Forenoon & Long First, A'noon and Long Morning, Both dogs all night in.

9. Such an hard life, as an REM 1 in 4 was every 4 days duty sea or alongside, possibly one or two of them 4 hour watch thingies to keep, as LWEM(R) 1 in 6 to 1 in 13 was gap in days between duties, with no watches, best I had was a shore draft when we were 1 in 26 days. Once I gave up the grey funnel line to get my Dolphins I had to work for my living at sea was 1 in 2 or skimmers call it defense watches along side 1 in ? depends on how many FWD Techs qualified.

All I can say is wrong branch.

10. 1in5 aux W/K, AFM then 56 off, DMF then 24 off.

11. Anyone in the Royal Navy who calls it a 'defense watch' deserves a right kicking.

In their fanny I suppose.

12. wal

wal Badgeman

MEOW = Blue Card.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  13. Say what??

14. that's not a problem, many on this site retired from the RN many years ago, so in my day a skimmer doing one in two was defence watches, cod wars, falklands, and sea training:-*

15. Woooooooooooosh!

• Like Like x 2
  16. So, what's a 5th watch.............?

You are forbidden from mentioning any kind of timepiece!

17. Loads of time off, if not black watch, or stitched up

18. Do you do fraudulent photographic claims as well as mlahing?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Are the calling sound of the rare dickusheadius, known to many but seen by a few.

20. I'm not too sure about watches either. I get the system but have always wondered if that is on top of your daily work ie does everyone do 8-4 and watches as well or does the ship's company just work on the watch system when at sea?