General Service Seaman (Reserve)

Tartan_Terrier

Badgeman
I've had a look at the RN website, and am unfortunately still in the dark, so what exactly do they do?

Ships Protection Teams sounds intriguing, is it actually an interesting job?

Or is it just a grand sounding title for standing guard?

joesoap

Midshipman
We've been there,done that & got the T shirts last year, it was good but having wasted 4 years learning MW stuff. Now obsolete! maybe we should amalagmate with the local TA. While there the marines took twice as many to do our role and had a full range of gmpg's etc, even a rocket launcher. Where's mine!!!

Tartan_Terrier

Badgeman
What I meant was or is it mainly static guard duties around dockyards or is it a bit more varied?

I understand that some were deployed on board merchant ships. What kind of things would they be doing there?

Is the training a mixture of army type training on land, and seamanship/small boat handling?

LeaderSmudger

Midshipman
Aright Tartan mate,

I'm GSSR and a new member of the SPO team.
Our primary role is Ship protection.
We'll be a member of one of two teams on board probably merchant vessels. DF (Deterant Force) RF (Responce Force) Deterant force will stop you getting up the gangway and also keeping a watchfull eye. Responce Force will Answer the dreaded Bandit Bandit Bandit Call! and search the ship for an unwanted guest. I know quite a lot about both roles so if you require more info just ask!

Fear God Honour the Queen

Vesper

Lantern Swinger
I always thought it was like being a marine in the 18thC, rather like a soldier but on a ship. Smudge has it all summed up though.

Tartan_Terrier

Badgeman
LeaderSmudger said:
Aright Tartan mate,

We'll be a member of one of two teams on board probably merchant vessels. DF (Deterant Force) RF (Responce Force) Deterant force will stop you getting up the gangway and also keeping a watchfull eye. Responce Force will Answer the dreaded Bandit Bandit Bandit Call! and search the ship for an unwanted guest. I know quite a lot about both roles so if you require more info just ask!

Sounds interesting. RF sounds like a bugger though. It must take a fair sized detachment on some ships to do it properly. Do you use SA80s whilst searching the ship (just wondering about overpenetration)?

Do you work as boarding parties as well (if deployed on RN vessels)?

Does DF only entail stagging on at the docks?

What kind of training do you get?

Sorry to bombard you with questions!

sinbad

Lantern Swinger
It takes a team of 12 split into 2. Although 14 would be better on the larger vessels, which can be of any type RN, MN or STUFT, basically if it has a valuable cargo we'll protect it. SA80's r used 'don't do over penetration tho haha!'

boarding parties hasn't been confirmed in writing yet.

as for the training we do the full RN courses.

harry_threaders

Midshipman
Only the booties will be doing the initial boarding parties mate, our roll is mainly protecting the ship/vessel once it's secured.
Tartan_Terrier said:
LeaderSmudger said:
Aright Tartan mate,

Sounds interesting. RF sounds like a bugger though. It must take a fair sized detachment on some ships to do it properly. Do you use SA80s whilst searching the ship (just wondering about overpenetration)?

Do you work as boarding parties as well (if deployed on RN vessels)?

Does DF only entail stagging on at the docks?

What kind of training do you get?

Sorry to bombard you with questions!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Letter from the Paymaster General to the European Commission and the European External Action Service: 27 April 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointment of the new Director General of the Security Service MoD News 0
TheMau5e General Service Joining the Royal Navy 13
S MA General service, waiting to start Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
M What being is a Medical assistant general service really like? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 13
D Can you wear dolphins upon return to general service? Submariners 37
N Anyone have a copy of "Naval General Service Medal Roll" History 2
M General Service Warfare Officer Career Path Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
D MEO(General Service) forced into Submarine Service? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
G General Service Shifts Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 50
FunkyJunky Returning to General Service Submariners 10
T Medical assitant ( general service ) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
hackle Service Voting in the General Election 2010 Current Affairs 0
Bad CO Service personnel & the General Election Current Affairs 0
R General Service to aircrew Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
soleil 1813 Naval General Service medal at auction at Spink History 2
T General Service or Submarine Service Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 73
stan_the_man Submariners v General Service Submariners 42
T General Service Medal entitlement. History 12
MoD_RSS Joint letter from the CMA and the General Pharmaceutical Council: pricing during the COVID-19 pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Change of Her Majesty’s Consul-General to Jerusalem: Spring 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Six general licences re-issued for the control of wild birds MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 43: Item 9 General Debate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 43: Item 8 General Debate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS United Nations Secretary General's report on the implementation of Resolution 73/295: UK statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Launch of the Secretary-General's Roadmap on Digital Cooperation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Attorney General extends undertaking for Grenfell Tower Inquiry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Statement to the WTO General Council MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Attorney General appoints new Junior Treasury Counsel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Statement to the WTO General Council MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMRC announces new Directors General for Borders and Trade MoD News 0
A RNR Medic? General entry Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 2
MoD_RSS Myrtle Lloyd appointed new Registrar General for England and Wales MoD News 0
MoD_RSS General licences introduced for the humane trapping of stoats MoD News 0
MoD_RSS General public should not have to pay for 101 non-emergency calls from tomorrow MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM call with the UN Secretary-General: 20 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New indemnity scheme for historical clinical negligence claims in general practice introduced MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 43: Item 4 General Debate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 43: UK statement for the discussion on the Secretary General’s oral update on the involvement of the UN in the situation of hu MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 43: UK statement for Item 3 General Debate on Girls' Education MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter to IOPC Director General and progress report published MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Director General appointed to HMPO and UKVI MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 43: Statement under Item 2 – General Debate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Attorney General provides undertaking for Grenfell Tower Inquiry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Attorney General seeking feedback on new disclosure guidelines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Attorney General sworn in MoD News 0
MoD_RSS General Lorimer: Time for urgent action for new government MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Appointments to the Attorney General's Public International Law A, B and C panels MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Apply to the Attorney General's Civil Panel Counsel: London A, B and C panel MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Attorney General appointed MoD News 0