General Service or Submarine Service

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Tristan, Jul 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can you join as a submariner then transfer or the other way round?
  2. Re: Submarine to general service

Easier to transfer surface to submariner, can be done the other way round but you have to do 5 years min on boats and depends on what branch you choose as it's down to branch managers etc
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Submarine to general service

As 100% correctly stated above- if you join as a submariner, you will be a submariner for 5 years before given the option to transfer to general service.

Sadly we still get individuals who think they may "queue-jump" by joining as a submariner then claiming the AFCO told them they could transfer. It doesn't work.

If you wish to join as a submainer then join as a submariner & become one of the elite from the outset.

If you're not sure, join in a General Service trade, investigate whilst serving, then transfer to submarines if you wish.

Most people who volunteer for submarines, after joining the 'silent service' remain submariners - even after the 5 year period of service has elapsed.
  4. Re: Submarine to general service

The "5 year rule" only applies if you volunteer from General Service to go SM. If you join as a submariner direct from civvy street you would need to seek a branch transfer to go GS - this would generally be resisted by Branch Managers. Best advice, and that given to most newbies on here, is to join GS and transfer to the elite a bit later once you've actually seen/ done something.
  5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yep, we're pretty much stating the same thing really.

The newer S3049 (Attestation Form) actually states that the individual cannot transfer trades, so manning clearance will not be sought if someone tries to queue-jump by joining as a submariner then tries to transfer to GS before completing the standard initial training period (SITP) & Return of Service. Those that join as a submariner & change their mind immediately must leave the service & rejoin, providing they are recommended as suitable to re-enter.

The options for someone that joins as a submariner & wants to transfer to GS are either submit PVR after 4 weeks but before 26 weeks service or to complete SITP, (including submarine wet & dry training), complete 2.5 years return of service, then submit 12 months notice to quit. The latter option will actually take in excess of 5 years, the precise length depending on the branch joined.

For simplicity, we usually state that those joining as submariners will serve at least 5 years on boats before being eligible to transfer.

Elite \['E]`lite"\, n. [F., fr. ['e]lire to choose, L. eligere. See Elect.]

A choice or select body
  7. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Which is why it made me laugh. Perhaps it should read: Desperate, so much so that if you're a skimmer and raise your papers we'll virtually guarantee you a pass if you go on boats. Keep telling it to yourself fellas, I've worked with enough of you to know. Engineers? Not many in the deeps world. :wink:
  8. submariners

Hey I wonder if there is any one out there whos a submariner, I am thnkin of joining as a submariner. I just wonderd if you stil manage to see much of the world as a submariner. Thanks for any help
  9. Re: submariners

There's not much to see underwater as Subs don't have windows. So no you won't see much opf the world apart from whats on the radar screen

sorry couldn't resist someone sensible will answer soon
  10. Re: submariners

Depending on what sort of submarine you join. SSBN's (Vanguard class) mainly based in Faslane Scotland and then on patrol in the North Atlantic. SSN's (Swiftsure and Trafalgar class) do travel around the world, but can be limited as certain countries will not let them in (nuclear reactor).

The positives are that when visiting foreign countries you will be put up in hotels whilst alongside. Extra pay, golden hello, sea-going pay all make for a fatter wallet.

The lads I've met from the Sub service love it, they wouldn't want general service. Likewise a lot of the general service (me included) wouldn't really want to serve on a sub.

Swings and roundabouts!!!!!!!!

hope this helps

11. Re: submariners

Agree with Supermario, I went boats after 3 years G?S and never looked back (no rear windows either)
  12. Re: submariners

u sayin u found subs bad cos u didnt see much of the world or owt
  13. Re: submariners

If that's directed at me matta12, the only place I've not been to personally is Singers and HK. Been most places from North pole to Falklands and Caribbean to Indian Ocean and all places in between and did not want to go back to surface world, don't believe anywhere on RR I've said I found boats bad, I wouldn't have spent 30 years on them if I had (or owt ??)
  14. Re: submariners was going to post something about life in submarines but got a sudden anxiety attack as there's a good chance I might be wrong. 8O

Move along please now - nothing to see here. :wink: :lol:
  15. Re: submariners

'cos you've been inboard too long :wink: (says the strawberry)
  16. Re: submariners

Hmmm, do you mean the under-water radar also known as sonar, or the real radar only used when on the surface entering or leaving port? And they might ot have windows (except on the bridge) but they do have FinTel, so you can see fishes swim by!!! :lol: No, really!
  17. Re: submariners

Matta go GS 1st as I believe it is much much easier going GS to Sundodger that it is Sundodger to GS (been out for 14 years, but I doubt that this has changed much, although I am very sure that someone still serving will give you a better view on the possibilities of transferriing)

I managed to go halfway round the world twice in Surface ships, and I spent a couple of years at faslane on shore draft, and met many submariners who had not vistited half the countries I had but had been in the mob more than twice as long as I had.
  18. Re: submariners

kk im wanting 2 get in the navy as soon as i have heard the waiting list for submarines marinee engineering is 6moths does any one no the waiting list for marine engineering surface fleet
  19. Re: submariners

:lol: :toothy10: :crazy: