General Service Medal entitlement.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It's not the Canal Zone clasp, the Suez version of the old Naval GSM bears the clasp 'Near East' (the Govt was too chicken to step up to putting 'Suez' on it - the usual civilian slap in the eye for the serviceman).

The Naval General Service Medal was issued prior to 1962
as mentioned there was an issue for the Suez crises in 1956 with the
medal bar reading ''Near East''

There were troops stationed in the Suez[Canal Zone] area prior to that time and they have just been issued a General Service Medal[Army] to commemorate the event. Doing troop movements by RN ships probably wouldn't qualify for the medal due to the fact that qualifying time in the old days was 30 days in the designated area----apart from the fact that the medal was an Army/RAF issue only

:nemo: :nemo:

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Question really is which carrier and when, Tansy? IIRC it was Ocean and Theseus that were used as troop carriers for the actual invasion & launched the first ever helicopter-borne landings. For RN & RM the gong is the NGSM(1915) with a pink ribbon that looks like a mini piece of 4 x 2. Pongoes & crabs had a purple, green, purple ribbon GSM (not green, purple, green as it became when it went Joint).

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
ltctootbag, spot on. The Canal Zone clasp was awarded rather late in the day for service there up to the pull out in 1954 (which of course emboldened Nasser no end and removed the only lever we had against his Canal grab). Service ashore there was decidedly risky but I think mostly pongo & crab stuff rather than us.

Tansy

Midshipman
Seaweed said:
Question really is which carrier and when, Tansy? IIRC it was Ocean and Theseus that were used as troop carriers for the actual invasion & launched the first ever helicopter-borne landings. For RN & RM the gong is the NGSM(1915) with a pink ribbon that looks like a mini piece of 4 x 2. Pongoes & crabs had a purple, green, purple ribbon GSM (not green, purple, green as it became when it went Joint).
HMS Triumph, 1952. Trooping from Pompey to Cyprus then quickly to Port Said where the natives were getting restless. We were dropping hand grenades over the side at night to deter underwater attack.

Ark Royal, Bulwark, and Albion, were the three carriers, that took part in the Suez job, the only ones to see any action were the Waffu Pilots, but we all had the General service medal issued for our service there.

jpl_75 said:
Ark Royal, Bulwark, and Albion, were the three carriers, that took part in the Suez job, the only ones to see any action were the Waffu Pilots, but we all had the General service medal issued for our service there.
Theseus and Ocean the old sea training carriers were loaded up in Portsmouth as Army/RAF stores and transport ships for the Suez area .
I think they were at the front end aswell during the action off Port Said.

:nemo: :nemo:

Hi all my father records show the following entry.
Ranpura 18 January 1956
Ranpura 1 April 1956
Ranpura 8 November 1956
Victory 1.4 17 June 1958.
The 8th November 1956 is right for this medal but he hasn't got it

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
The 1915 NGSM was never awarded without a clasp. The seventeen clasps authorised are list below,[3] the figures in brackets denoting the number awarded.[1]

• Persian Gulf 1909–1914 (7,164, including 37 to the Army). For operations against pirates, gun-runners and slavers.
  • Iraq 1919–1920 (116).[4] For river gunboat service during the Arab revolt.
  • N.W. Persia 1920 (4). Awarded to the four members of the Naval Mission to the Caspian Sea.[5]
  • Palestine 1936–39 (13,600). For service during the uprising by Palestinian Arabs.
  • S.E. Asia 1945-46 (2,000). For operations in Java, Sumatra and French Indochina, prior to handover to the pre-war colonial power.
  • Minesweeping 1945–51 (4,750). For 6 months minesweeping service in specified areas across the world.
  • Palestine 1945–48 (7,900). For service during the post-war Jewish insurgency, including coastal patrols against illegal Jewish immigration.
  • Malaya (7,800). For service in the Malaya and Singapore between 1948-60 during the state of emergency.
  • Yangtze 1949 (1,450). For the attack on HMS Amethyst and other vessels by Communist Chinese forces.
  • Bomb and Mine Clearance 1945–46. For operations by the Royal Australian Navy, very few clasps with these dates being awarded.[1]
  • Bomb and Mine Clearance 1945–53 (145). For 6 months spent in clearance operations in specified areas across the world.
  • B & M Clearance Mediterranean[6] (60). For bomb and mine clearance between 1953-60 by divers, and to seamen who moved recovered bombs, mostly in Valletta harbour.
  • Canal Zone For service in the Suez Canal Zone between October 1951 and October 1954. (Authorised 2003).[7]
  • Cyprus (4,300). For operations against EOKA insurgents, 1955–59.
  • Near East (17,800). For operations during the Suez Crisis of 1956.
  • Arabian Peninsula (1,200). For service against dissidents and cross-border raids between 1957–60.
  • Brunei (900). For service in Brunei, North Borneo and Sarawak in December 1962, a large proportion awarded to Royal Marines of 42 Commando.

Its a mine field trying to find out what medals someone is entiteled to. Especiallyvafter they have passed on to the bar in the sky. It wasn't till I got my fathers medals that I was informed of the Pingsat Java medal