General Service Medal entitlement.

Discussion in 'History' started by Tansy, Mar 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My aircraft carrier took troops to Suez in the 1950s. Am I entitled to the GSM ?

2. Probably if involved during the time of Operation Muskateer [1956].
    Otherwise... why?

3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

It's not the Canal Zone clasp, the Suez version of the old Naval GSM bears the clasp 'Near East' (the Govt was too chicken to step up to putting 'Suez' on it - the usual civilian slap in the eye for the serviceman).

4. The Naval General Service Medal was issued prior to 1962
    as mentioned there was an issue for the Suez crises in 1956 with the
    medal bar reading ''Near East''

There were troops stationed in the Suez[Canal Zone] area prior to that time and they have just been issued a General Service Medal[Army] to commemorate the event. Doing troop movements by RN ships probably wouldn't qualify for the medal due to the fact that qualifying time in the old days was 30 days in the designated area----apart from the fact that the medal was an Army/RAF issue only

:nemo: :nemo:

5. Seaweed

Question really is which carrier and when, Tansy? IIRC it was Ocean and Theseus that were used as troop carriers for the actual invasion & launched the first ever helicopter-borne landings. For RN & RM the gong is the NGSM(1915) with a pink ribbon that looks like a mini piece of 4 x 2. Pongoes & crabs had a purple, green, purple ribbon GSM (not green, purple, green as it became when it went Joint).

6. Seaweed

ltctootbag, spot on. The Canal Zone clasp was awarded rather late in the day for service there up to the pull out in 1954 (which of course emboldened Nasser no end and removed the only lever we had against his Canal grab). Service ashore there was decidedly risky but I think mostly pongo & crab stuff rather than us.

7. HMS Triumph, 1952. Trooping from Pompey to Cyprus then quickly to Port Said where the natives were getting restless. We were dropping hand grenades over the side at night to deter underwater attack.

8. Ark Royal, Bulwark, and Albion, were the three carriers, that took part in the Suez job, the only ones to see any action were the Waffu Pilots, but we all had the General service medal issued for our service there.

9. Theseus and Ocean the old sea training carriers were loaded up in Portsmouth as Army/RAF stores and transport ships for the Suez area .
    I think they were at the front end aswell during the action off Port Said.

:nemo: :nemo: