Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

General Questions

Hi, I recently applied for these following jobs within the Navy, Weapon Engineer Officer, Aircrew Officer Pilot, Logistics Officer and a Royal Marines Officer.
I was just wondering what sort of things I would be doing, I really want to work on the Aircraft carriers so what one would be more likely to end up being on an aircraft carrier. I'm only asking as when I go to my interviews I would like some more information so that I can really learn about the roles.
Thanks in advance.

Your covering a huge officer spectrum. I suggest you search using the site search facility to break down the individual jobs.
The differences are vast between the individual officer roles fo a simple answer.

Hi, I recently applied for these following jobs within the Navy, Weapon Engineer Officer, Aircrew Officer Pilot, Logistics Officer and a Royal Marines Officer.
I was just wondering what sort of things I would be doing, I really want to work on the Aircraft carriers so what one would be more likely to end up being on an aircraft carrier. I'm only asking as when I go to my interviews I would like some more information so that I can really learn about the roles.
Thanks in advance.

Lord T

Remind me again what you will be offering as your UCAS Points. I know that you were doing Public Services at some level.

Hi, I recently applied for... Weapon Engineer Officer.

Have you got a degree in engineering (or similar) then?

I believe your UCAS points also need to be from 2 non-overlapping subjects, this is for all officer roles.

As already suggested, use the info on the RN website to narrow it down to the 2 roles you're most interested in. If you're still not sure, write the pros and cons of each in a table.

Your covering a huge officer spectrum. I suggest you search using the site search facility to break down the individual jobs.
The differences are vast between the individual officer roles fo a simple answer.

Yeah I have been having a look and pilot and logistics seem the most likely for me to choose, I just applied for all of the jobs that looked interesting to me as I thought that I had nothing to lose. I will have a browse now to see if I can find anything.

I’m stumped.
I know I just applied for the jobs that interested me after some research. I mean obviously I do not mind not being on an aircraft carrier but is their one job that is more likely to end up on a carrier. I'm assuming that something like a weapons engineer would be less likely as there are less guns but something like a logistics officer would be as the crew is bigger. Sorry if it was a stupid question

Have you got a degree in engineering (or similar) then?

I believe your UCAS points also need to be from 2 non-overlapping subjects, this is for all officer roles.

As already suggested, use the info on the RN website to narrow it down to the 2 roles you're most interested in. If you're still not sure, write the pros and cons of each in a table.
Yeah I have all the necessary qualifications to join as each role, I just have no insight into navy life other than like documentaries, I quite like Pilot or something similar and logistics but I will see what the recruiter says

I will have 138 (or something close) of the new ucas points scheme, I'm doing public services and business studies at college level.

`Weapon Engineer Officer won't be one of the roles you can consider, in that case.

When you look again at the website, go in via the Role Finder - it will list what could be available to you, taking into account your age and qualifications.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/careers/role-finder

I doubt you have actually applied for any specific job at this stage, more likely registered an interest so that you can find out more.

The odds are, no matter what RN general service job you apply for, officer or rating, you have a higher than average chance of serving on a carrier due to the fact they are a manpower vacuum. Royal Marines, significantly less likely unless embarked for transit from A to B.

Unless aiming for vocational degrees, forget Engineering Officer roles. A job with the letters "air" at the beginning will heighten the probability of working on an aircraft carrier, but Warfare & Logistics officers will also be in with a shout although Warfare Officers are going to spend more time on Aircraft Carriers than pilots, to be fair.

In my experience, whilst Public Service level 3 dual and treble award qualifications are accepted in lieu of the A Level entry requirements, if passed at merit or discttinction, comparatively few seem to get selected for officer unless they have additional A Levels.

Best bet? Call into your local AFCO for a careers chat sooner rather than later to ensure you are not disappointed with career options several years later.

Latest Threads