General Jackson

Doesn't it fill your heart with pride? A senior officer with commitment, courage and the will to stand up for his boys.

Dear Sir Mike, your yellow streak is a clear beacon for us all. If you really felt that way, you'd have spoken up long before, or resigned before your pension was assured.

dubaipusser

Lantern Swinger
Quote from MSN News - "Speaking on the BBC Radio 4 Today programme, Gen Jackson said it was clear that the coalition was not winning the war in Iraq, but stressed that this did not mean it was losing".

Come on Sir Mike - you haven't got to play at petty politics any more - if we aren't winning then we are losing because a draw doesn't count!

Hawkeye

Lantern Swinger
asst_dep_to_dep_asst said:
Doesn't it fill your heart with pride? A senior officer with commitment, courage and the will to stand up for his boys.

Dear Sir Mike, your yellow streak is a clear beacon for us all. If you really felt that way, you'd have spoken up long before, or resigned before your pension was assured.

How True at least the current chap has got some balls

nutty_bag

War Hero
Hawkeye said:

How True at least the current chap has got some balls

Too true!!
I saw Gen Jacksons speak last night, well balanced, eloquantly spoken but as has been pointed out, why didn't you speak out against the MOD Bliar etc when you were still wearing your rig!! yellow indeed!!

Have to agree with you there ADTDA.

If Sir Mike had said that while he was still in the job, I think most people including me would have a huge amount of respect for him. Saying it now however, his comments are too little - too late!!

As Hawkeye rightly said, at least the current chap has some balls!!

Spenny

The Gen's comments do supprise me as he was the most political of the top brass in his time. So much for Blair's lap dog! Never mind the fact that the gov wants to reduce us to 20,000 personnel, the fact that third world nations sail our ships as we can't afford to run them, the threat of closure of HMNB Portsmouth. I could go on forever. Wait a min though, wasn't Gen Jackson the man who wanted the Royal Marines to be part of the army? The man who gave the paras the Special forces support job? The man with nothing but contempt for the navy and marines?

dondon

MIA
I have to agree with all comments so far , why did'nt he speak up when he was in the job , we'd all have a lot more respect for him if he'd said it then , still glad he's say'ing it though , just a tad late I'm afraid , :?

nutty_bag

War Hero
Jock_of_the_sea said:
The Gen's comments do supprise me as he was the most political of the top brass in his time. So much for Blair's lap dog! Never mind the fact that the gov wants to reduce us to 20,000 personnel, the fact that third world nations sail our ships as we can't afford to run them, the threat of closure of HMNB Portsmouth. I could go on forever. Wait a min though, wasn't Gen Jackson the man who wanted the Royal Marines to be part of the army? The man who gave the paras the Special forces support job? The man with nothing but contempt for the navy and marines?

Didn't know he wanted to amalgamate the Royal Marines with the army. Mind you speaking as an ex Royal myself it has to be said that someone has to hold the armies hand for them :lol: On a serious note re paras, what do you expect, look at the footage of Kosavo etc and you with see the charmingly good looking general wearing a Cerise (that's for you Andym) lid!! It's the old everyones a craphat except us syndrome which i experienced on many an occasion during selection!! Blah Blah Blah!! Yes i'm bored now can we do some phys so i can make you all look like numpies please? :lol: I think in light of what going on in afghanistan at this time it shows that Royal (as usual) can more than hold it's own thanks very much and doesn't need some pissing General to say otherwise!! :x

Per Mare Per Terram!!!

N.B

RNRAWBOD

Badgeman

Senior officers cannot speak publically on "political" issues whilst holding office, under our unwritten constitution.....it's a separation of powers thing, which otherwise would make the armed forces a player in domestic politics.

We are here to execute policy, not define it. I suspect you will find he probably said exactly the same BEHIND CLOSED DOORS to the MOD and Government whilst in office, but only now, as a private citizen, albeit one with a high profile and credibility, can he speak freely in public.

It's exactly the same as Admiral West in his last day as 1SL on Radio 4, saying we'd cut too many FF/DDs - he was making a political statement in public ONLY as he was going to be a civilian several hours later.

Think you're being a bit harsh!

RNRAWBOD said:
Senior officers cannot speak publically on "political" issues whilst holding office, under our unwritten constitution.....it's a separation of powers thing, which otherwise would make the armed forces a player in domestic politics......

Thanks for the lesson in profundity. You are absolutely right, of course, but this is a spine thing. General Dannatt might have back-tracked a little, but he spoke up first.

Granted he did it within a spit of his retirement, but Boycey went early rather than support policy with which he disagreed.

And none of us is allowed to speak publicly on any potentially controversial matter - this unconstitutional rule is to protect the politicos from the truth.

I can't fault any of the comments already made. I was glad that he highlighted the target obsessed Government's failings. In his words; "they measure not what is necessary but what is measurable and therefore you very often end up with results which suit the government statisticians but not those who are actually on the front line". I, personally, have daily first hand exposure to this idiocy. Although he said running the Services within a budget wasn't easy, he did have the grace to say; "we're actually spending 2.5% of our GDP this year - which is our lowest since 1930 - but at a time when our commitments are rising."

He's a strange man and the concept of the curate's egg springs to mind.

RNRAWBOD said:

Senior officers cannot speak publically on "political" issues whilst holding office, under our unwritten constitution.....it's a separation of powers thing, which otherwise would make the armed forces a player in domestic politics.

We are here to execute policy, not define it. I suspect you will find he probably said exactly the same BEHIND CLOSED DOORS to the MOD and Government whilst in office, but only now, as a private citizen, albeit one with a high profile and credibility, can he speak freely in public.

It's exactly the same as Admiral West in his last day as 1SL on Radio 4, saying we'd cut too many FF/DDs - he was making a political statement in public ONLY as he was going to be a civilian several hours later.

RNRAWBOD

Have disagree with you on this one. If, as we all know it is, we have an unwritten constitution then you cannot break it, as it does not exist other than in spirit.

He could of well spoken out and taken the consequences, Resigned and spoke out the next day or remain silent and then speak out when him and his financial future was secure.

He chose the last course of action that is why I agree with most posters on this subject. He was another V/Senior Officer, bottle-less, who like many before him, let the troops down again.

Nutty