General Guide to the selection Process

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by stirling2, Jun 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Guide To Application Process

Well done Leeblease....perhaps Admin could make this a ''sticky''

2. Re: Guide To Application Process

leeblease. I'm not about to join the Navy, nor do I have an 'old soldier', but even I found this of interest. Well Done!

ps I didn't pick up any grammatical errors, but I've been on the lager!

3. Re: Guide To Application Process

Good job Lee.

4. Re: Guide To Application Process

Good advice Leeblease, I'm currently waiting to go for my interview so trying to research anything and everything :)

5. Re: Guide To Application Process

Fantastic, cheers mate. I'm not even at the first stage yet but this is certainly something to look back on when I start!

Dan

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Guide To Application Process

Leeblease,

Just read through your post, anticipating that you would need some corrective advice.

You don't.

Bloody good post, well done.

Edited for pooh spelling

7. Re: Guide To Application Process

Thanks Ninja, appreciated! Any chance you can pull some strings, and get me a start at Raliegh next week?

8. Re: Guide To Application Process

I have PM'd Jenny -Dabs about this and hopefully it will become a ''sticky''

9. Ninja_Stoker

Sorry mate, I wield no influence on that one!

10. Re: Guide To Application Process

MOD HEAD: As per request, sticky it is!

11. Re: Guide To Application Process

Thanks Jenny x

12. Re: Guide To Application Process

How times have changed.
    When I joined in 1952, I walked into the recruiting office in Leeds and said; "I want to join the Navy."
    In less than a week I was in.

13. Ninja_Stoker

The shortest nowadays is generally 3 months from application to entry, the longest is about two years, it depends on the branch you're joining.

14. Re: Guide To Application Process

Just out of interest Ninja, which branches would take the longest for entry?

I assume the more hands-on career paths would require more training and therefore take longer?

It also mentions a "direct entry" option for graduates, which stages of the application process would this affect?

15. Ninja_Stoker

Assuming you refer to Officer waiting times, I have to confess I'm a bit hazy on specific waiting times, unlike ratings. Obviously the smaller the branch, the fewer the regular intakes. Graduate entry tends to be Medical, Engineering & Training Management Officer, but they have regular intakes because they do generic officer training (they already have the "trade".)

Rather than give duff info, it's best to ask your specific OCLO, assuming you're actually in the selection process. If you tell me your intended trade, I'm happy to make a couple of calls to find out for you, if that helps.