Geeky Question

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by clanky, Jan 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me how possible it would be to have a welfare wireless network fitted to a ship whilst it was alongside during a deployment? I'm talking about a completely unrestricted stand alone network, reserved for the recreational use of the ship's coy. How is this issue covered in commercial liners etc? This may seem like a bone question, but I'm interested in getting the full story on this issue. The WE's I know all tend to po-poo this idea, but I'm interested in brainstorming this concept in a wider forum. Any comments (within the confines of OPSEC obviously)

2. When I were a lad.......Ships had something called an SRE, some bloody greeny playing rubbish records over a broad cast system and boring the sock off everybody! OK it wasn't wireless but it did what you were looking for - how come it's still not in use?
  3. Do you mean with internet access clanky?
  4. As far as I know. If you looking for how you would set one up on a ship, you would need internet access via satellite (so that you could get it anywhere in the world). Then to allow the ship’s coy to gain access you would need wireless transmitters (and lots of them) because a single transmitter can travel about 150feet, but as the signal passes through solid matter I.E the hull of a ship the signal decays….quickly….so your transmitter that could travel 150feet….it is more like 50…at the most.

If I was putting one of these systems in, then I would place transmitters around the ship, in large rooms (to make it into an internet caf.), it would be far to expensive to allow people to have wireless access in their cabins. This would mean that you only need a few transmitters.

Just an idea

If you have any questions PM me

5. Those commercial liners I've been on don't offer wifi. You would need to have a system where the base station could operate and have relay (sub-)stations linked to it. I'm not sure how feasible this would really be. On the security front, were it restricted to personal PCs where no confidential data are held then it would be OK, but wifi is NOT secure - even when it claims it is! I actually have an Apple base station stowed somewhere which I am not using - if I can find it you'd be welcome to use it to do a pilot study - I won't need it again.
  6. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

A wifi network connected to milsat is a non-starter.

It is never going to happen. Ever.

This is down to security issues.
  8. Can't answer Geeky Questions as am fresh out of Geeky answers! :lol:

9. Thats why I stipulated that it had to be standalone, ie not connected to milsat
  11. If laptop ownership is widespread then why not get an individual GPRS internet account that way you can connect to the internet any time anyplace of course you will need a GPRS network card.
  12. It will be impossible to get through he TEMPEST testing - you're not even supposed to use bluetooth devices or anything similar onboard. The reality of course is different but them's the rules!
  13. Surely mobile phones constitute the same tempest threat.
  14. On the other hand considering the cost of inmarsat terminals these days one could look at that which would also give jack a phone home capability albeit at a cost.
  15. The costs of which can be offset by the Milsat bandwidth that'll be freed up for operational use.
  16. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

... and need to be in range of a suitable service provider. GPRS is damned expensive for general surfing in the UK - if you add international roaming access charges on top, it would be prohibitive.
  17. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

From the geeky perspective....

First requirement would be a suitable ISP to provide the ship with access to the internet, which while alongside should be no more difficult than arranging shore power, telephone etc. However, depending upon where you are in the world, having a connection with the necessary bandwidth to allow acceptable speed for everyone could be problematic.

Assuming that you've found a suitable ISP with a large bandwidth connection, then its a simple matter of arranging a suitable network throughout the ship to allow everyone to connect. If you're talking of using wireless, i.e. 802.11 of some flavour, then you could quickly run into problems - in a domestic environment 802.11g routers have problems in connecting out of line of sight, i.e. a hot water tank can interfere with the signal path. Given the large amount of metal in a ship, I think provision of general wi-fi access throughout the messdecks would not be possible; having a hard wired network from the internet access point to a number of wireless hot-spots would be more feasible, but the signals would still be prone to interference from the large variety of electro-magnetic sources on board.

As others have already said, the secuity angle would also need to be addressed. You'd have to be able to demonstrate complete isolation between the welfare network and the ship's own data systems.
  18. Thanks for some positive info FW.
  19. Would be a start if we could get WiFi access whilst in UK dockyard ports. I've spent many hours in Mayport, Fl sitting on the Flight Deck with wireless access to the USN internet cafe on the jetty. All free as well.
  20. Thats only an option in Guzz if you've got a marinised laptop!