Gdn: "'Hello Mum, I'm On Rockall': The £100bn Piece Of Rock"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by soleil, Jan 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Gdn: "'Hello Mum, I'm On Rockall': The £100bn Piece Of

Interesting article. I enjoyed that.

2. Good article. Hope the British plaque hasn't been lost as suggested in the article. Hope also it is declared as British

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Gdn: "'Hello Mum, I'm On Rockall': The £100bn Piece Of

An interesting article by the tree-hugger that may well have invalidated the UK's claim to ownership. reckon we should sue.

That said, it's pretty easy to see why Iceland & Denmark are also laying claim on grounds of proximity.

[​IMG]

Before you know it, some bugger in Argentina will point out that we're not very close to the Falkland Isles & South Georgia too, harrumph.

4. Re: Gdn: "'Hello Mum, I'm On Rockall': The £100bn Piece Of

Perhaps we should take inspiration from the story of 'The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain'.

A couple of dredgers full of granite linking the faroes to our shelf should do it. I've got a shovel and wheelbarrow.

5. Sadly, not a mention in the Guardian article - But c*ck-all Rockall story could be complete without a reference to the FORTY day stop-over there in 1985 by Tom Mclean, ex-Orphanage/Para/SAS adventurer who also had the bottle to cross the Atlantic in one.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_McClean & http://www.motivationspeaker.co.uk/Biography.asp

The Journo's ancestor would be rather peeved to learn that this Vidal's Greenpeace team seem to have taken a perverse pride in messing with the original, HM Government property, plaque, which bore the inscription:

"By authority of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of her other realms and territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, and in accordance with Her Majesty's instructions dated the 14th day of September, 1955, a landing was effected this day upon this island of Rockall from HMS Vidal.

The Union flag was hoisted and possession of the island was taken in the name of Her Majesty.

[Signed] R H Connell, Captain, HMS Vidal, 18 September 1955."

6. Re: Gdn: "'Hello Mum, I'm On Rockall': The £100bn Piece Of

From the 1955 landing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Then of course there was Royal....

[​IMG]

8. Re: Gdn: "'Hello Mum, I'm On Rockall': The £100bn Piece Of

Royal ML, on left, probably did all the hard work for the Young Thruster to be able to hoist the Ensign.
    As it ever was. :wink:

9. Re: Gdn: "'Hello Mum, I'm On Rockall': The £100bn Piece Of

Beat me to it NZB! Caption reads...

Royal: No Sir pull it harder if you want to make it go up!

Matelot (in the voice of Kenneth Williams): Oooh Sgt P you have me all afluster? can I feel your biceps when I'm done - you are a beast of a man!

Royal rolls eyes and sighs (a manly sigh you understand...)

10. Ninja_Stoker

Most likely the actual conversation transcript leading up to the photo was actually:

"Well done Royal. Now get out of the shot so I can claim the credit".

'twas ever thus.

11. Re: Gdn: "'Hello Mum, I'm On Rockall': The £100bn Piece Of

Have now read the article (thanks Sol!). Interesting definitely, but how hard is it to get the basics right (my bold):

The 'disappearance' of the plaque is truely is pathetic. PC Bloggs pitches up at Mr Vidal's door, the aroma of lentils hang heavy in the air...

PC: Good morning Sir, I'm investigating the disappearance of Her Majesty's plaque on Rockall.

Mr V: I know nothing about it Constable; all I can say is it was there when I particpated in the mounting of an alternative plaque.

PC: Do you really expect me to believe that Sir!? I notice your knuckles are grazed; are you sure these injuries weren't sustained whilst removing HM's plaque?

Mr V: No no! As I stated in my article I damaged my hands whilst climbing a potholing ladder to gain access to the ledge where we slept.

PC: That'll be the ledge you referred to as being created by "an act of vandalism" by the "navy" in your article? Don't you find it a bit hypocritical that you and your 'colleagues' then proceeded to drill holes in the rock in order to mount your own plaque?

Mr V: Not at all - we have right on our side!

PC: Thank you for your time Sir, we'll be in touch...

(PC Bloggs walks out of the door, shakes his head and mutters, 'lying barsteward' under his breath)

Edited to add they say our mothers know us best. His mother's assessment of his 'exploits', "are you mad?"

12. Re: Gdn: "'Hello Mum, I'm On Rockall': The £100bn Piece Of

We should drill a plaque to his house, and level his garage to make room for our flag. The yoghurt weaving peanarse

13. Re: Gdn: "'Hello Mum, I'm On Rockall': The £100bn Piece Of

Ninja_Stoker. The Rockall Shelf doesn't look exactly contigious with the Faroe Shelf. I doubt it will matter, though, as I'm sure HMG would be pleased to walk away in the interests of European "solidarity". Also another piece of the planet the Treasury doesn't need to find money for the MoD to defend it.

I see a new era of Danegeld approaching.

14. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, I'm with you there.

The danger with international diplomacy (not that Stokers are renowned for any form of diplomacy) is that if you come to the negotiating table offering to share from the outset, you get less - hence the reason that Iceland & Denmark are each claiming "mine" rather than "ours".

Doubtless our spineless wonders in government will not see beyond short term savings militarily, rather than spending to invest, as always.

15. Tartar flight put this pair on there for a publicity thing that ended up being binned due to political politeness!!!

16. Rockall is 267 miles from Co Donegal Ireland who also have a claim along with Iceland and Denmark to oil rights in the area surrounding rockall. I think ownership of the rock itself is only possible if someone lives permanently in it and makes a claim for the country they come from. This is why the plaque which has disappeared is really worthless according to international law. Otherwise the Royal Navy would have made sure another more permanent plaque or stone monument would have been installed on behalf of HM Government.

17. I seem to remember something about if someone lives on it for 40 days in a specified period that would stand as sovereign ownership.

Didn't an ex SAS chap do it a few decades ago!

18. If I was to take the Grouniad artical seriously then that was the first sucessful invasion of Blighty since William the Bastard of Normandy, either way the scutter who wrote the piece should be tried for piracy or treason and invited to try out the stength of a hemp rope on a short drop.