Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GCSE Science - Advanced Apprenticeship

Gematria

Midshipman
Hello, long story short I've been aiming to get onto the Advanced Apprenticeship for a while now and sadly just been informed by my local AFCO that I haven't passed the basic requirements due to not having GCSE Science.

GCSE English - ✔
GCSE Maths - ✔
BTEC Level 3 in Engineering - ✔
GCSE Science - X (Teacher got cancer and had to leave, school couldnt find a replacement so we had a random teacher each time)

I have a GCSE equivalent in Engineering but sadly they wont accept it, the level 3 has a A-level equivalent Physics unit which I passed.
Yet the Navy wont even consider it, Anyone got another solution? Seems stupid to lose £13,000 over a singular GCSE.

EDIT- Just an add on, I actually passed the criteria last year with my predicted grade, failed on my stretched ear of 1mm.

soleil

War Hero
Gematria

The GCSE requirement for the Accelerated Apprenticeship is as follows:

A minimum of three GCSEs (or Scottish equivalent) at Grade C (4 on the new grading system) or higher including Maths, English and at least one science based subject.

I'm assuming that you are in touch with one of the Careers Advisors at your local AFCO.

Have you asked him/her whether you could sit a Science subject GCSE this year and have it counted towards the GCSE requirement for this role? If you haven't, ring him/her this afternoon and ask. It may be that the AFCO will need to refer to CNR for advice, but it's still worth asking.

Which is your best science subject, by the way?

Gematria

Midshipman
Gematria

The GCSE requirement for the Accelerated Apprenticeship is as follows:

A minimum of three GCSEs (or Scottish equivalent) at Grade C (4 on the new grading system) or higher including Maths, English and at least one science based subject.

I'm assuming that you are in touch with one of the Careers Advisors at your local AFCO.

Have you asked him/her whether you could sit a Science subject GCSE this year and have it counted towards the GCSE requirement for this role? If you haven't, ring him/her this afternoon and ask. It may be that the AFCO will need to refer to CNR for advice, but it's still worth asking.

Which is your best science subject, by the way?

Yeah I have spoken to him and he said that this was possible, the next challenge is trying to find somewhere that I can take the course this year. Most of them started in September so entry is shut until this September.

I've also got an offer to do a degree in September, it was my back up in case I failed the interview stage again. Id still much rather do the AA.

It'd be Physics, my original job choice in school was Theoretical Physicist. Soon realised I liked boats and guns more. Why do you ask?

soleil

War Hero
Yeah I have spoken to him and he said that this was possible, the next challenge is trying to find somewhere that I can take the course this year. Most of them started in September so entry is shut until this September.

I've also got an offer to do a degree in September, it was my back up in case I failed the interview stage again. Id still much rather do the AA.

It'd be Physics, my original job choice in school was Theoretical Physicist. Soon realised I liked boats and guns more. Why do you ask?

The reason for the question was to work out whether there was a science in which you were especially strong, in case there was a possibility of applying independently to sit the GCSE with a suitable board and then using online resources and the syllabus to bring yourself up to the required standard before sitting the exam. You say that courses per se aren't starting now until September, but, it may be the case that you could still apply to sit a GCSE this summer and then make a massive effort on the subject.

Which board set the papers for your Maths and English?

Gematria

Midshipman
The reason for the question was to work out whether there was a science in which you were especially strong, in case there was a possibility of applying independently to sit the GCSE with a suitable board and then using online resources and the syllabus to bring yourself up to the required standard before sitting the exam. You say that courses per se aren't starting now until September, but, it may be the case that you could still apply to sit a GCSE this summer and then make a massive effort on the subject.

Which board set the papers for your Maths and English?

English - WJEC
Maths - Pearson

That is a very valid point, the only issue is the lack of predicted grade as I wouldn't have a teacher. I wouldn't have an issue self studying.

soleil

War Hero
You would have your result by the end of August; at that point, you would be relying on actual results, rather than predicted ones.

Are you still at school or have you recently left school?

Gematria

Midshipman
You would have your result by the end of August; at that point, you would be relying on actual results, rather than predicted ones.

Are you still at school or have you recently left school?

I finished college not too long ago, I spoke to my AFCO every few months throughout the whole off college.
Never mentioned I needed a C in Science or I would have retaken it there for free :rolleyes:

In your opinion would it be worth going in the Navy as ETWE, doing my degree with science on the side and applying in 3 years OR would it be best to do this gcse almost by myself?

I know its probably personal preference but I'd like your opinion.

soleil

War Hero
The CA at the AFCO is probably the best person to advise, to be honest.

Two questions, though.

Which subject are you thinking of doing a degree in?

Do you know the teacher at your college who teaches Physics? Do you get on well with him/her?

Gematria

Midshipman
The CA at the AFCO is probably the best person to advise, to be honest.

Two questions, though.

Which subject are you thinking of doing a degree in?

Do you know the teacher at your college who teaches Physics? Do you get on well with him/her?

1.) I have been accepted to do a Computer Science with Software Engineering

2.) Yes I do but we are far from getting along, I had to deal with him throughout my Physics unit.
The Biology Teacher and head of the department gets along with me very well though. Think it would be best to contact him to see if he does private tuition?

soleil

War Hero
I have been accepted to do a Computer Science with Software Engineering

Gematria

Have you spoken to your Careers Advisor on the subject of whether a degree in this particular subject, added to the qualifications you already have, would allow you to consider applying as a Weapon Engineer Officer?

I'm aware that there are several possibilities open to you at this juncture and I wonder whether arranging an appointment with one of the Careers Advisors for a one-to-one discussion about your options is the way forward.

Gematria

Midshipman
I wonder whether the Uni is in a region covered by a University Royal Naval Unit. Where are you hoping to go to?

Thank you for all the help, I will contact my CA today to try and get a time slot.

I got the offer from Hull Uni, I believe they covered but when i asked about this to the CA he dodged questions and changed subject. I have no idea how id get in nor what that would mean once my degree is complete. Would I still be able to apply for the AA?

If you don't mind me asking Soleil, are you a Careers Advisor?

soleil

War Hero
I got the offer from Hull Uni, I believe they covered but when i asked about this to the CA he dodged questions and changed subject. I have no idea how id get in nor what that would mean once my degree is complete. Would I still be able to apply for the AA?

At Hull, you would be covered by the Yorkshire Universities Royal Navy Unit, Gematria. The Unit's ship is HMS Explorer:

They go to all of the Freshers' Fairs at the Universities they cover in Yorkshire, including Hull. I've just been looking at their Facebook page and they seem to have loads of fun!

Yes, you could do your degree and then join the Accelerated Apprenticeship Scheme (if you have added that missing GCSE). The one thing I would say to you would be to also discuss the possibility of applying for WEO - your subject matter could well be of particular interest - when you think about the systems which underpin the functioning of a modern warship, especially its weapons systems, you can understand why. Check with the CA that you would have the educational requirement for WEO if it appeals to you.

If you would like to ask the Yorkshire Universities Royal Navy Unit about joining, they have a Facebook page and you could message them through that. I think that you would like being in the URNU very much. This link should take you direct to their page but, if it doesn't, search for Yorkshire URNU on Facebook - choose the page with the Crest and 500 likes, not the smaller group showing the White Ensign which is for current members.

If you have the chance to visit any ships beforehand, by the way, do take it; I generally add any ship visits I know about on here.

Last edited:

soleil

War Hero
If you don't mind me asking Soleil, are you a Careers Advisor?

No, my ex is though - he's been in the Royal Navy for many years - I learned an awful lot from him which I try to keep current.

Ninja_Stoker, who posts on Navy Net, was a Careers Advisor in an AFCO until very recently and he's an excellent source of advice for the more complex questions.

What I do is endeavour to answer questions on here when they come up, so that everyone gets a response of some kind with links and encouragement, if needed, to touch base with a CA in an AFCO.

Gematria

Midshipman
At Hull, you would be covered by the Yorkshire Universities Royal Navy Unit, Gematria. The Unit's ship is HMS Explorer:

They go to all of the Freshers' Fairs at the Universities they cover in Yorkshire, including Hull. I've just been looking at their Facebook page and they seem to have loads of fun!

Yes, you could do your degree and then join the Accelerated Apprenticeship Scheme (if you have added that missing GCSE). The one thing I would say to you would be to also discuss the possibility of applying for WEO - your subject matter could well be of particular interest - when you think about the systems which underpin the functioning of a modern warship, especially its weapons systems, you can understand why. Check with the CA that you would have the educational requirement for WEO if it appeals to you.

If you would like to ask the Yorkshire Universities Royal Navy Unit about joining, they have a Facebook page and you could message them through that. I think that you would like being in the URNU very much. This link should take you direct to their page but, if it doesn't, search for Yorkshire URNU on Facebook - choose the page with the Crest and 500 likes, not the smaller group showing the White Ensign which is for current members.

If you have the chance to visit any ships beforehand, by the way, do take it; I generally add any ship visits I know about on here.

When I originally wanted to join the Navy I was told to aim for Officer, this was by a family full of Infantry Soldiers though so there main advice was "Dont join the Army."
The one thing that put me off was watching the BRNC training series, where even after passing 95% of the training they can rather get rid or back class you for very little reason.

Seems better to join as a rating and only do 10 weeks basic and then be employed! Since the AA has a higher starting wage it seems like an obvious choice to me! Anything that I've gotten wrong or I've missed on this?

I haven't had a chance to visit a surface fleet ship but I did go on a look at life course at Faslane and visited a sub. That was awsome.

Ill shoot the URNU a message now! :)

Thanks!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
3 Alternatives in absence of GCSE English, Maths and Science Joining the Royal Navy 5
MoD_RSS News story: Long-term plan for GCSE computer science confirmed MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Future assessment of GCSE computer science MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Interactive GCSE and A level data visualisations updated MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GCSE MFL spoken language assessment criteria and approach MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guide to GCSE results for England, 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GCSE and A level students to receive centre assessment grades MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Triple lock for students ahead of A level and GCSE results MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofqual GCSE and A level consultation outcomes and autumn exam series proposals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofqual publishes initial decisions on GCSE and A level grading proposals for 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ofqual seeks views on GCSE and A level grading proposals for 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Open letter: GCSE tier entry guidance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Inter-subject comparability in GCSE modern foreign languages MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GCSE entries to arts and core academic subjects rise MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Guide to GCSE results for England, 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Education Secretary says post-16 options better than ever, as GCSE results released MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GCSE 9 to 1 grades MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Revisions to music and dance GCSE, AS and A levels MoD News 0
S Applying for the TMO Officer Role but no GCSE math Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS News story: Consultation on changes to performance rules in GCSE, AS and A level music and dance MoD News 0
A GCSE Certificates help Joining the Royal Navy 4
klgreload Having no GCSE certificates for Raleigh Joining the Royal Navy 6
I Joining as dual citizen- need gcse/a levels? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
NateDogg GCSE's essential? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
3 Misplaced GCSE certificates before Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
S Deck Officer Cadet - GCSE worries! RFA 9
B Not done GCSE,s RFA 8
D Maths GCSE resit whilst serving The Quarterdeck 6
N GCSE or equivalent???? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
E GCSE Certificates. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
M missing a GCSE!! argh!!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Squirrel Language GCSE's - no need to sit an oral exam. Current Affairs 17
slim New GCSE builds teenagers' skills Diamond Lil's 3
MoD_RSS The National Mathematics & Science College: warning notice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS VMD Regulatory Science Strategy – we would like your views MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM hails ‘herculean effort’ of life science companies to defeat coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Campaign for co-Chair of the Council for Science and Technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Science Minister on ‘The Research Landscape’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary announces MOD Science and Technology Strategy 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New strategy places focus on cutting edge science and technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Forensic Science Regulator honoured with CBE MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Science Minister at the Foundation for Science and Technology MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ministerial Commission of Work for the Animals in Science Committee: 2020 to 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Science enables soldiers and aircrew to partner with smart machines on Salisbury Plain MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Forensic Science Regulator newsletter: number 30 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Science Minister at Vitae Connections Week 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Work carried out by the Animals in Science Committee on 2018/19 Commission of Work MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Home Secretary sees first-hand the science supporting UK police MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New UK science funding to support Kenya’s coronavirus response MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Digital diplomacy: UK’s Asia Minister discusses science and business links with Vietnam as part of ‘renewed focus’ on relations MoD News 0