GCSE or equivalent????

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Nicoj, Mar 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Just after a bit of advice if anyone can help.
    I unfortunately do not have any GCSEs at grade C or above but I do have A BTEC Higher National Certificate in Civil Engineering and a National Certificate in Civil Engineering, which on a number of government websites and the Royal Marines website is classed as being equivalent to 5 GCSEs. Will this be the same case for the Royal Navy???

    Thanks in advance
  2. If it said on the RM site, it'll be the same for the RN.

    *edited for gonky spelling
  3. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Really? - Can you provide a link to where the Royal Mariness Website states a BTEC is equivalent to 5 GCSE's?

    A BTEC level 3 passed at Merit, Merit, Merit or better maybe accepted, subject to confirmation by the AIB, as equivalent to meeting the UCAS requirement at A level, but I've not yet seen where the requirement of 5 GCSE's including maths & English at Grade C or better is met by an unrelated BTEC.

    Schools & colleges may well claim that certain qualifications are "worth 'x' GCSE's" but generally SCE's, GCSE's & iGCSE's are the only accepted qualification by employers.
  4. So the RN / RM don't accept Btec 1st Diploma and Certificate (4 and 2 GCSE equivalents respectively)?

  5. http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/do-i-qualify/*/outputFormat/print

    Thanks for your advice, above is a link I was given and directed to the additional information at the bottom.
    With regards to an unrelated btec - civil engineering is a math and science based subject which includes a unit in English and communication, so apart from studying math and English I can't think of a more related subject.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Generally higher educational qualifications refer to A Levels rather than GCSE & are subject to AIB verification, as stated earlier. The date of the link (quoted above) is 2006 & doesn't mention the UCAS requirement at A Level.

    We're looking for solid, broad-based academic achievement from GCSE's through A Levels to, in some cases, degree.

    If you believe the academic module content with regard the maths & English elements of a BTEC HNC or Diploma are above GCSE grade C and three other non-overlapping GCSE equivalents, then by all means take the certificates to the AFCO for verification of equivalency with regard the GCSE's via AIB, however be aware we need distinct qualifications in 5 non-overlapping subjects at GCSE level.

    Sadly, colleges wish to simply get "bums on seats" as a revenue generator & will promise the world with regard, for a example, a GNVQ being "equivalent to 4 GCSE's". It maybe so in the educational environment with regards getting yourself onto a higher educational revenue generator for the college, but in the world of employment the reality is very different - it's almost criminally negligent of colleges to claim one thing in the knowledge that they are not accepted outside of educational establishments.
  7. Thanks for advice.
    I think the best thing is to go down to the careers office with all my certificates and see what is said. fingers crossed.
  8. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    Yep definitely speak to your AFCO as qualifications themselves are a complex subject, I'm certainly no expert & you should take the certificates to your AFCO so as they may forward them to AIB for verification.

    You maybe right with regard the English : "A pass in a full unit of General and Communications studies at BTEC NC, ND, HNC or HND" according to the link below, but you need 5 GCSE's minimum, plus the A Level/equivalent.

    Rough guidance can be viewed in the Book of Reference, Chapter 5, Article 0520

    Good luck.
  9. In reality educational establishments only really consider educational establishments as the real world and thus are completely correct at all times. It is the rest of us that are out of step NS
  10. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    You're right.

    I do feel sympathy toward individuals that spend two years or more in further education only to be told that the qualification isn't accepted.

    Good examples include Public Services Qualifications - some are of use, but most aren't unless it's Level 3 at Merit or better.

    Universities are just as bad - a good example being the BA entitled "Forensic Science" which qualifies the individual to teach the next batch of students who mistakenly think they are going to be forensic scientists "a la CSI" on the telly.
  11. Ninja just a quick question although irrelevent to the branch i am going for, i have no gcse,s however i did a home study course with the ifs school of finance and obtained an ifs level 3 certificate in mortgage advice and practice....the problem is i am buggered if i know what it equentiates to, any ideas????
  12. Great word.
  13. Hi S33, I'm full Cemp qualified and unfortunately I've been told that this doesn't equate to anything. :?
  14. Ninja_Stoker

    Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

    I know the feeling and am afraid you've completely discombobulated me there, but my guess is that it eqentiates to no English compatibly recognsed qualificationilism erm - ist, sorta thingy with regard GCSEs.
  15. You've lost the plot NS, too many interviews today!?
  16. waste of a grand then :lol:
  17. TBH, if you look on the directgov website, it will supply you with the recognizable institutions to carry on a further education with.
  18. the ifs is a recognised one being the institute of financial services...oh hang on a sec...government approved....must deffo be mickey mouse then :lol:
  19. Must be a Bushism...or something. :lol:
  20. Are you a practicing mortgage adviser, or just passed Cemap?

Share This Page