Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

GCSE Certificates.

Re. something else in the future, exam boards can provide proper re-issue certificates, they just don't call them certificates. It is clear that they are duplicates, but it is also clear that there is nothing "provisional" about them, unlike the statement you have. I was in a similar position with my A-level certificates and had them reissued.

As mentioned, it is expensive and you do have to know which boards your school used for which subject, but that will be detailed on the provisional statement which you have. Then you just contact the exam boards and stump up what I seem to remember was about £25 per board (not per subject, mercifully).

WD

EyeEyeSailor said:
I bought my GCSE certificates and stuff along to my interview, and the interviewer didnt once look at any of them.
So you should be fine

Again, if the GCSE's aren't required for the job, we are not too worried, we usually just take copies as those with GCSE maths & English are exempt from the Basic Skills test. Those scoring low on the test are given extra tuition during training - it's got nowt to do with the service, it's simply a Government directive.

So if you don't have your original GCSE certificates, you're f*cked?

That's the end of my application then.

Ultimately I cannot conjure up what doesn't exist.

Kitsunegari said:

They do exist. You just need to get copies. You may need to pay, but surely that is a minor inconvenience if you are that serious about a future career.

AuldYin said:
Kitsunegari said:

They do exist. You just need to get copies. You may need to pay, but surely that is a minor inconvenience if you are that serious about a future career.

You can't get a copy if you cannot prove that they have been destroyed/lost/stolen - so says the AQA website. The best I can obtain is a statement of results, or else I can arrange for AQA to send 'proof of results' directly to a prospective employer. If neither suffices then what's the point? Like I said, I can't conjure up what does not and cannot exist.

I'd happily part with a lot of time, £100 and me having to go to AQA's Manchester Office myself if it would get me anywhere. But I know for a fact having just rung them that it's a no go in terms of obtaining a new certificate.

Kitsunegari said:
AuldYin said:
Kitsunegari said:

You can't get a copy if you cannot prove that they have been destroyed/lost/stolen - so says the AQA website. The best I can obtain is a statement of results, or else I can arrange for AQA to send 'proof of results' directly to a prospective employer. If neither suffices then what's the point? Like I said, I can't conjure up what does not and cannot exist.

I'd happily part with a lot of time, £100 and me having to go to AQA's Manchester Office myself if it would get me anywhere. But I know for a fact having just rung them that it's a no go in terms of obtaining a new certificate.

That's my situation and personally I think its a load of bullsh*t.
Since you took the tests you should be entitled to your certificates, not some statement thats not worth the paper its printed on.

entwistlesj said:
Kitsunegari said:
AuldYin said:
Kitsunegari said:

That's my situation and personally I think its a load of bullsh*t.

Since you took the tests you should be entitled to your certificates, not some statement thats not worth the paper its printed on.

I stand corrected. I am a College Tutor and have had students apply for -and receive- replacement certificates recently. However, it appears that AQA are the only exam board that do not isssue replacements. http://www.warrington.gov.uk/educationandlearning/Schoolsandcolleges/lostcertificate.aspx shows that you can apply to all others.

Ive been to a few of my exam boards and they all say the same thing.
"We cannot duplicate a certificate unless the original has been damaged, lost in fire or stolen where the correct documents can be produced to prove this.
For certificates lost or uncollected we can only provide a Certified Statement of results or letter to prospective employers outlining the qualifications achieved."

You and I both, which leaves me in the position of a leper in terms of how I shall be perceived, despite having obtained 10 GCSEs and 2 A-Levels, both of which can be proved but not to an acceptable extent (or so it seems) to my local AFCO. Personally, I was not informed about any of my certificates, nor was I asked to collect them. I've contacted my school and unsurprisingly they've gone in the bin. There is literally nothing more in my power to do which means I may as well just not bother going for my choice of trade - and I'm certainly not going to go for second best just for the sake of it, that would defeat the point. I'll have to stick with the Reserve boys unless I can convince the AFCO boys to see some sort of reason. Given that two of the guys in there already seem to hate me . . .

Write to the exam board asking for certificates, they will write back saying we don't give certificates but you can have a statement of results, keep the letter and kindly accept their offer of a statement of results, take the statement of results and the letter (not copys or website printouts etc) and submit them to your AFCO. If you have done everything in your power to get the required documents they aren't going to slam the door in your fare.

It really isn't rocket science, use your brain. :roll:

Kitsunegari said:
I'll have to stick with the Reserve boys unless I can convince the AFCO boys to see some sort of reason. Given that two of the guys in there already seem to hate me . . .

"No certificates, in the position of a leper, school/society/the system failed to help, the AFCO won't see reason & everyone seems to have a problem...!"

My heart appears to be circulating a mauve fluid.

One cannot help but feel it's somewhat remiss to spend at least 11 years in compulsory education, at a cost to the taxpayer of about £5000 per year per pupil, only to "forget" to collect the certificates which, including A levels, took 13 years to achieve for the sole intent of gaining employment & then blaming the school for not collecting them oneself when seeking employment without them.

Already the apparent skills of a future potential leader of men. :wink:

Lonestar already alludes to the correct course of action - you can always blame your postman if it doesn't work.