Gays should be tattooed with warnings, minister says

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by slim, Oct 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well thats it then, a man of the cloth has spoken.:

personally I think he is being very narrow minded and if he is going to carry out attacks like this he should be fair and attack all groups.

so are we going to see:

Lesbians should carry a tattoed with a warning stating
    "Beware my clit when aroused is six inches long"

Straight Men
    "Beware when rceiving head my willie may explode without warning"

Straight Women
    "This is not a fish shop, so do not comment"

Animal lovers
    "My lovers name is Baaabra"

How many more warnings can you think of? :w00t:
  2. Stock Exchange clergyman:

On his arse: Blessed are the Bankers for they shall inherit the Earth and pass on their debts to the Taxpayer.

On his chin: Read my lips: the Bible says nothing about hypocrisy.

You're my first date ******, honest.

****** should be a liquid crystal display with the name of his current girlfrind emblazoned on it.
  3. How about (because of the current situation):

'I am a LIAR' - on a pollies forehead

'I don't give a siht for the people/OAPs/Families/Put what you like...' - on the currents PMs forehead

'Me ? - I'm honest' - on a certain returnee to the government ranks

Don't mind me, I'm going through a cynical phase - must be my age ... :(

4. PMSL.
  5. right Steve 42 Sussex2 Lukep down to the tattoo artist you must go SCSDYH the sky pilot has spoken :sex: :thumright:
  6. Crabs "LIkely To Whinge At Any Minute" on forehead.
  7. I wouldn't dream of having "pricks" that small anywhere near my backside.... :thumright:
    Plus, my tattoos are tasteful, and I'd need an arse the size a double decker bus to get the full text tattooed on there...... :lol:
  8. Is that Cherie Blair? :dwarf:
  9. Oh my sweet god that is horrific!!!
  10. I would.
  11. For those who wish to read some more choice comment on Mullen's blog before it was pulled, visit the link below:

Interestingly whilst he rails agains homosexuality being immoral and leading to a reduced life expectancy* (a persistent claim by evangelical Christians who rely on Paul Cameron's "research" where no controls were used - contrary to the established scientific method) he seems to take a very enlikened view to adultery which the Bible condems more frequently than sodomy :roll: ).... I wonder why...... :bball:

Mullen might like me meet me, Type42 & Sussex2: we've all lived beyond our supposed life expectancy of 39! :lol:

*see the critique of the methodology used for this oft cited study here:
  12. Aye .......................after moi!!!!
  13. Perhaps boats should have the following emblazoned in fluorescent green paint:

forend: Me bringer of death!

aft end: Don't fcuk me matey!
  14. Any religious priest/bishop/ christian brother teachers - give me your children and I will teach them christian values - while sexually abusing them.
  15. I thought "Christian Values" was a byword for paedophilia! After all the Bible doesn't condemn the practice.
  16. It doesn't condone the practice, as it seems certain faiths seem to names. but their HQ is in Rome
  17. A view from Down Under

Queers in our military
    Wednesday, 08 October 2008

What’s life like for gays and lesbians in our services? Tim Wright takes a tour of duty.

Scantily clad Greek warriors, sweaty and all covered in dirt, would return to base after a long day’s battle and quite openly — perhaps even proudly — engage in sensuous gay sex. Unlike American soldiers today, the ancient Greeks definitely weren’t subject to a “don’t ask, don’t tell†policy.

In fact, instead of chastising these men for their wild behaviour, the authorities offered unqualified support. Homosexuality was, in their view, an indispensable weapon against adversaries — one which boosted troop morale and promoted bravery

To the disappointment of some, no government in modern times has quite seen things this way. In 1992, when Australia lifted its ban on gays and lesbians serving in the military, the motivation was more to do with ending discrimination than enhancing military performance.

I decided to find out, 15 years on, whether the Australian military has become anywhere near as supportive of queers as the militaries in ancient Greece were, or whether it remains — despite the change in policy — an environment of suppression and torment

I spoke to Stuart O’Brien, 36, a Navy officer and chair of a gay and lesbian information service for military personnel. He was central to a successful lobbying effort in 2005 to secure equal benefits for the same-sex partners of men and women in the service.

“I haven’t faced any kind of discrimination or harassment because of my sexual orientation,†O’Brien says. “The fact that I’ve got a same-sex partner has never impacted on my work.†But he admits that many people still perceive the defence forces as homophobic. “That’s why it’s important we get ourselves out into the public eye.â€

And that’s precisely what they did in Sydney this year. For the first time, queer officers got permission from the military chief to have an official float in the Mardi Gras Parade. “We didn’t do it in uniform, but that wasn’t a big issue for us,†O’Brien says. “What’s important is that we did it under the defence banner. There was a big roar from the crowd when they saw us. It was amazing.â€

According to O’Brien, defence force policies have been fairly effective at stamping out harassment against queers. “There are probably still a few dinosaurs around who aren’t accepting of us, I suppose. But the people we’re recruiting today are different. Nearly all of us know people these days who are gay.â€

I also had a chat with Kristy Green, 30, who is a lesbian working as a defence civilian. “I’ve never experienced harassment, but I’m sure things happen from time to time,†she says. “I’ve always been very comfortable and open about my sexuality.â€

Green describes working for defence as being part of a “big familyâ€, especially her stint on HMAS Sydney: “I felt as though I had 50 brothers protecting me at the one time.â€

Her partner of four years is also in the military.

“I think that times have changed within the defence forces,†Green says. “There’s a more understanding culture now.â€

Australia is certainly a long way ahead of our close ally the United States, which still discharges soldiers from service at a rate of two to three a day if they are found to be gay. Several of Stuart O’Brien’s American friends have been kicked out of the military and others are currently “under investigationâ€.

The “don’t ask, don’t tell†policy — which was introduced in 1993 by Bill Clinton — prevents gay or bisexual people from disclosing their sexuality or speaking about same-sex relationships. Previously, they were banned outright from serving

According to the policy, letting queers serve openly would “create an unacceptable risk to the high standards of morale, good order and discipline, and unit cohesion that are the essence of military capabilityâ€

O’Brien travelled to Washington, DC, earlier this year to tell the Americans that they should change their policy because it’s discriminatory and makes no sense. Many agreed with him.

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama has told voters he will scrap the policy if elected, but his Republican rival John McCain has vouched to keep it.
    Other countries still ban queers altogether, including Brazil, China, Iran, Mexico, Singapore and, oddly enough, Greece. Russia excludes them in peacetime but not wartime, although even in wartime they only accept “well-adjusted homosexuals†— none of your effeminate types.

In Turkey, military service is compulsory for all fit men, but if you’re gay you can get out of doing it. Yet another reason why it’s better to be gay than straight, I suppose — like sharing your partner’s clothes. Heterosexual men have been known to feign homosexuality to avoid service.

Most countries, however, see things as we do: a private’s sexuality is, well, private and in no way relevant to his or her performance. But some countries have progressed even further than Australia. For example, the Canadians have had gay military weddings since 1995. How long until that happens here

“I don’t think Australia is ready for gay marriage yet,†O’Brien tells me. “But my partner and I are having a commitment ceremony later in the year.â€

Speaking with O’Brien and Green about their time in the armed forces — including in Iraq — I couldn’t help wondering why anyone, queer or not, would choose a military career. O’Brien says it was about “serving your country†– words that ma me cringe.

“I wouldn’t say I want to go out there and shoot ’em up,†he explains. “I spend a lot of time doing paperwork. But I guess that kind of thing does go with the job.â€

Yes, I guess it does. And so long as politicians are willing to send soldiers to war, there’s no good reason why queers should be excluded.