Gash Barge

Discussion in 'Site Issues' started by jambosun, Nov 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Is there a reason why the Gash Barge doesn't appear on the front page even where there are new posts on it. I've just tried to advertise Big Bad Dog's, aka Billy No mates, fantastic James Bond's Dad thread for those newcomers who haven't seen it but unless you are in the Gash Barge itself then you'd never know.

Am not overly excited about it, just wondering why.

Thanks

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

There's a thread about it somewhere on the forum, it will be some way back and I can't remember the details

3. Gash Barge is part of "The Rough Bit" and as such can pretty much contain anything which is why it isn't shown on the front page where any guest can see it.
    (Hope that makes sense)
    :)

4. No it doesn't make sense.

How are people going to know if there are any new posts in the Gash Barge without having to visit it every time. The Rough Bit should be treated no differently to any other area or it might get upset and start quoting equal ops and discrimination. Come on be fair and let the Gash Barge/Rough Bit have its own share of abuse.

:shakefist:

5. Cheers for the mention Jambosun. Cor blimey!
    Did that mega-dit a while ago. Seriously thought
    about sending an outline to Johnny Vegas for a dare,
    would it make a good, thrilling, rollercoaster spy-thriller
    then?. I put it in the Gash-barge because back then -
    Das Gash Barge WAS available on the Home Page, but
    since then, it's been consigned to the back-bilge.
    Anyway thanks for the mention....many Night Shifts
    battering all that stuff out.

B.N.M.

p.s. Anyone dare me to have another go?

(Quantum of Solarse?/Diamond Lils Royale?)

p.p.s. Still got the original on a floppy somewhere as well exempt the added pics.

6. Ahh, been here a dog watch and want to change the site to suit you, eh?
    This is how it IS and HAS been run for some time.
    It stops guests reading something that might upset them, and thus stops the sites owners getting sued.

7. I remember choking with laughter when reading each new instalment and it seemed like a good idea to let newer members have the same near-death experience!

It does seem a bit odd that Lil's is on the front page but not the Gash barge. Ho hum, not a problem. Hopefully this thread will get people reading the tale of derring-do!

8. Actually I haven't got a clue, but I thought it sounded good!
    :D

9. GO ON, DO IT! You know it makes sense :thumright: :thumright:

10. Oh sheeeeet. Me and my big f***ing mouth/keyboard.

11. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The 'Gash Barge' doesn't appear on the front page bcause it is the dumping ground for all the dross that would otherwise clutter up the forums and the front page. The 'shop window' can do without for example, ten concomitant threads on brownhatters and another five about the number of Admirals and two and a halfs. The original idea (after ARRSE's ARRSEHOLE) was for mods to move such crap out of the mainstream without actually binning it. Some members still prefer to start sustainable threads in the 'Gash Barge' and miss out on the front page. Others are unaware of the policy/mechanisms because they haven't read the 'sticky' at the head of the 'Gash Barge' forum. It's only been there a couple of years so it may be a bit early to expect it to achieve full distribution.

12. Can we have statistics of how many Admirals and two and a halfs were either brown hatters or started the brown hatter threads :w00t:

13. Jambosun, you should have placed your advertisement in the almost no-holds barred Diamond Lil's. Gash is for gash, whether it originates from Norman or others.

I am one of those who posts some new posts to the Gash Barge because they frankly belong there! :biggrin:

....It saves the Mods having to relocate them later. ;)

14. That sounds fair enough and now it makes sense.
    :thanks:

15. I only put it in the gash barge because the original James Bond thread was in there. :shakefist: Perhaps a clever Mod can move it to a more accessible forum like Lil's. Anyway, hopefully Billy No Mates will have finished his next masterpiece soon (like he promised). No pressure BNM!!

16. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Mod Mode: Done. Unless I receive any complaints... :thumright:

Rum Ration: Diamond Lil's: James Bond's Dad

17. Thanks SPB, nice one :thumright: