Garmin 405 (cx) Forerunner

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by SJRM_RN, Apr 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am soon to be in the market for a new training watch and was thinking about a Garmin 405CX Forerunner.

Does anyone have one and if so what are your impressions of it. It would be interesting to see how long a charge lasts if using all the functions whilst training.

Any feedback gratefully received

2. Don't know much about it, but my training partner has been looking on this and has spent ages reading reviews, he's purchasing one.

3. We saw one today on one of the stands and it's convinced him even more. If I had the dib dobs I'd get one too.

Thanks Jim

4. I run with a 305. It looks like something out of Star Trek. I find it's pretty accurate for average speed and distance but perhaps not spot on for speed at a given point in time.

I bought it for interval training, it can beep angrily at you to tell you when to speed up and slow down, you can programme it to tell you to hold a specific cadence for a specific period of time.

Also, graphs! I can look at graphs of the same interval run that I do once a month as an assessment and watch myself complete the same distance in the same time with a lower heartrate each time. A bit silly really as I know I'm running better but it's just nice to see it confirmed with SCIENCE.

I don't really believe it makes a huge difference unless you're a pro athlete with a rigorous training routine. It's a fun toy though.

5. Less gadgetry and learn to listen to your body (man)...

6. Just picked up a 405cx and it is awesome - well worth every penny as a training tool.

7. If you're running with an iPod, just use Nike+ and save yourself massive amounts of moneys.

8. It doesn't do heart rate, which is a bit of a bugger, and I'll be honest, I don't get how an iPod can get accurate distance measurements etc, but for twenty quid it sounded reasonable to a poor civvy, heh.

9. I assume it's a next generation over the 201, if so it's a great bit of kit. I have been using mine on my 2.4 k runs and I'm between the 8/8:30 mark cause it let's me know what pace I should be running at, tells me to speed up or slow down. Also I use it for interval training and general running or cycling. So if you can get one it's well worth the money.

10. I've got the 405 standard and it's a brilliant bit of kit. Very accurate when monitoring speed, distance etc. Can be a bit of a pain when trying to get a satellite signal, but once it's connected there are no snags. The software suite that accompanies it is great too - you can view an accurate record of your route on Google maps and also create a detailed log of weekly distances, time, average speed, calories burnt etc. If you're a serious runner, I'd highly recommend getting one. You can get them pretty cheap on ebay these days, too.

11. I appreciate it's very late and you have probably bought one by now, but I would suggest you look at the 310xt over the 405.

I have the 305 and it works very well, however I can't get data off now due to the contacts being damaged (although it still charges thankfully).
    The 310xt have all the pluses of both models but from what I've found none of the negatives (baring the £240 price tag).
    A major negative for the 405 being the bezzle.