Gardening - The Way Forward?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & The Great Indoors' started by sendacow, Aug 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wanted to express how much I love Gardening - This weekend I am going to get out with the kids and get them to create some Bag Gardens. Anyone ever heard of this concept? I the great thing about this activity is that I am going to get my Kids to paint the Bags on saturday and then Plant on Sunday. My little girl keeps talking about it and thought I would hence share it with all the communitys' parents - as a something to do with your children before the end of the summer. Got this idea from the Send a Cow Charity (www.sendacow.org.uk) The Charity won a silver award at the Gardner's World Live 2009 and the Bag gardens were very much a part of it.

2. I hate gardening,when we are in Spain the grass needs cutting every ferkin week,but when home in Hammerfest we cut the grass maybe twice a year, :D

3. My garden is all flagged and pebbled.So that tells you what im like in the garden .I cant do it anyway because of my fingers and hands :D

4. .I cant do it anyway because of my fingers and hands

What,dont you have any ? 8)

5. I live at the top of a hill with a sloping garden, so all my gardening is UPHILL GARDENING! :biggrin:

6. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Oh dear, the outrage!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. No i cant use them properly because of injury OK !

8. Common' guys gardening is fun! The kids really enjoyed making up the bag gardens and I suppose we are lucky it has rained, our bags got watered :) (a bit of help from mother nature) So you hate gardening chris - well instead of cutting the grass - get a cow :)

How was everyones weekend? anyone manage to go to the Notting Hill Carnival? x

9. Oooops sorry :wink:

10. Now I would have thought if you were at the top of the hill it would all be DOWNHILL.

11. Only when I'm sober! :wink: :lol:

12. I have one but she's rubbish with a lawnmower or electrical items. She does the washing up well though. :lol:

13. Hey guys managed to get a picture of the Bag Gardens inspired of the back of what the Send a Cow Charity (www.sendacow.org.uk) introduced :)

[​IMG]

14. Gardenings her part of ship. My knowledge extends to flowers are green things with a coloured top, trees are brown things with a green top but I sometimes plug the lawnmower in for her (as in electrical plug into the wall socket before the comments start) :lol:

15. Never thought I would be answering gardening questions on a bootie site.

Many do not know and many do not care but the fact is we need grass alongside trees they do the same job. No piss takes about being a tree hugger thank you. I hate seeing fields vanishing under concrete and bricks.

I was brought up on the land and earned me keep digging for victory, victory being pocket money. Meanwhile over in the Republic I am still at it. Won first prize for the broccolli this year[how sad am I ] if her indoors had harvested and cleaned of the garlic we would have won that as well. I was yomping over the hills at Glendalough.

Of course you will all require my famous Tomato Soup recipe will you not,far superior to that canned crap you buy.

Step 1:
    You will need…
    · 1 1â„3 kg tomatoes, chopped [app four medium sized tomatoes]
    · 2 onions, chopped
    · 3 garlic cloves, peeled
    · 2 tbsp tomato puree
    · 1 ltr chicken or vegetable stock
    · 10 g butter
    · 3 tbsp olive oil
    · salt and pepper
    · 1 wooden spoon
    · 1 sieve
    · 1 ladle
    · 1 stick blender
    · 1 large bowl
    Step 2:
    Melt the butter
    Place a pan on a medium heat, add the oil and butter, stir well and allow to melt.
    Step 3:
    Fry the onions and garlic
    Once melted add the onions and chopped garlic and stir. Sweat the onions until they have a little colour, stirring occasionally to prevent them from burning.
    Step 4:
    Cook the soup
    Add the tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, stock, stir again and bring it to the boil. Once boiling, cover and turn the heat down to a simmer. Leave to cook for 30 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the heat.
    Step 5:
    Blend
    Remove the lid and with your hand blender, pulse to blend the soup into a rough puree, taking care not to raise the stick blender out of the soup! Finally season with salt and pepper.
    Step 6:
    Sieve
    Place the sieve over a large bowl and ladle the soup into the sieve. Using the back of the ladle, push the pulp down into the bowl below. Continue until all the soup has been sieved and transfer it back into the pan. Reheat if necessary.
    Step 7:
    Serve
    Pour into soup bowls and add a dash of cream just before serving! Serve with some fresh crusty bread and enjoy!

16. Clearly a good quality fertilizer is important and manure was always the old favourite.

Therefore Steve, do you spend a lot of your time shoveling sh1t uphill? :D

17. I use well rotted grass cuttings.... all green and soft, like me! :D

18. Garlic must be planted in December the frost gives it a stronger taste much stronger than the Spanish shite.

Plant in ground up to the neck of the clove. You can buy cloves in the gardening centres or buy them cheap at the supermarket and break of cloves and pop in the ground even in the front garden, all that will be visible will be a long green stalk. harvest June/July