Gannet

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by seafarer1939, Jun 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst on the Vic in the 61/62 commission we had the mail plane Gannet lost.
    It seems it came diving into the ocean from a great height.I was on the whaler looking for debris and another one was supposed to have found the crash helmet with the pilots head still inside[not confirmed as far as I remember] but my question is:
    Was the Gannet a robust plane? it looked it from the outsiders eye,more so than the Skyraider we had.
    I never knew what caused the crash but I thought it had two engines so it must have been something terminal.
    just interested why if you can.

2. From a mechanical point of view, the Gannet was a very robust aircraft. It carried 2 black mamba contra rotating engines. This meant that the propellers rotated in opposite directions to reduce the torque effect.

I have no knowledge of that accident as I was a wee lad with only dreams of aircraft then. (But I betcha someone on here will remember it well.) :wink:

3. Tuesday 22 nd November of Tripoli Gannet 425 / 849 B flight, Ditched into the sea ,with the tragic loss of its pilot Sub/L/T R. Collins RIP. ps I can only remember 1 Gannet crash in my 12 years service. That was caused by the wing starting to fold on cat/launch.

4. It's tough, long ranged....

What say you aviation types to sticking some hardpoints onto it, and turning it into a long ranged COIN aircraft a la Skyraider or A10? ;)

5. Two things I remember from that crash,first while searching,I saw something in the water,the Middy told me to pick it up,then the Bosun realised it was a coiled up sea snake asleep and stopped me!They are bloody deadly.
    Second where was a messmate got his lights punched out by some-one after complaining about the recovered mail sacks making his letter hard to read!
    No thought about the poor pilot,he got badly whacked and he deserved it.