Gangway duties, rules and regulations

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by 2deckdash, Jan 16, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Would appreciate any help, maybe from any Gunners who may know the rules best, or where to find the rules on this would be appreciated? I tried loading up the BR but suspect it isnt apple compatible.

What are the rules for gangway duties, is it acceptable to do 1 in 3 days on the gangway 6 hours on, 6 off? Is it legal to do the full weekend on the gangway, or is this not officilly allowed, ie the weekend is now Friday and Sunday, with a different watch on the Saturday?

Your help is much appreciated!

2 deck dash!

2. Suggest you look at Ships Standing orders different ships will have differing rules and watchkeeping systems.

• Like Like x 1
  3. On the basis I was 1 in 2 OOD for 6 weeks, quite a lot of me wants to tell you to man up.

• Like Like x 7
  4. HAHA I am just after what the official BR says, I fully appreciate the man up point!!!

5. Come on now Alfred OOD is a piece of piss, just sitting in the bun house waiting for a telephone call so that you can be at the gangway when the skipper comes onboard:p

6. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

So what naughty deed did you get caught at to get 6 weeks extras? :p

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Welcome.

Always a good starter to find out the legal stance with regard gang-way watch parameters for armed personnel before quoting the book at the person that arranges the roster. Wise move.

Odds are, in the Armed Forces, there's always the chance a terrorist ceasefire can be demanded if insufficient manpower is available or indeed in the heat of battle, if the Woos wish to invoke caveats if they haven't had their statutory 8 hours kip before launching a dawn aerial attack whilst the baddies are knocking out the zeds.

• Like Like x 3
  8. 6 on, 6 off? Submariner are you?

9. Ninja_Stoker

I suspect not. The poor dear is not familiar with 6 hour watches without MTFU pills, it seems.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cox'n dragging his heels to get qualified; WEO P7RD; MEO working like ten men in the FTSP so we took the duty off him and the XO didn't run to our aid.....

11. GCAS 120 max for the whole time I was in the Stan. No 8 hour waits there :) and that was the down days!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 1
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The official answer is... you do what your DepCo and Chief QM tells you. Suck it up, sugartits... :thumbleft:

• Like Like x 1
  13. So no one knows. Thanks anyway guys.

14. Ninja_Stoker

No worries.

15. Me Walt....

• Like Like x 4
  16. I once did an entire year alongside of 2 days on the gangway, 2 days off, 2 days on, 4 days off.

6 hours on 6 hours off for your two days on.

It was ****.

17. Inboard twat!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Thin out with your throbbing submariner dits.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Quoting BR's, regs in a drip? WTF has happened to our dear old Andrew?

20. Until you are in the dock as the accused......Don't worry your CO and DEPCO will be right behind you.