Ganglion cyst

bit of an odd one, I have a small lump on my wrist and I’ve come to the conclusion it’s a ganglion cyst, it’s only noticeable when I bend it and if you pay close attention to my wrist. I’ve had it for about 9 month (it comes and goes) I keep trying to pop it but nothing seems to be working. In my medical at Raleigh will they notice it and will it be a problem? I have no pain at all and have full mobility of my wrist but I was thinking they might discharge me for it? I’ve read if you go to the doctors they’ll tell you to go home and leave it and I certainly don’t want any unnecessary surgery.
Thanks

It's not really a surgery. A friend had a couple - went to the GP and it was sorted in 10 minutes. They drain them with a needle and that's about it, although you can opt for the more invasive removal procedure if you want it absolutely gone.

Have you called your GP?

I went today and he told me to leave it coz it’s small and that it shouldn’t be a problem as long as I don’t try and pop it with a pin or smash it with something. He said it’s probably going down due to how small it’s gotten

I ALso rang my afco and they didn’t really know what to say and asked me if I’d rang my GP and all that. Do you reckon if it’s still here by March when I go raleigh it’ll get me a medical discharge or am I worrying too much? It only appears when I bend my wrist like I said

I ALso rang my afco and they didn’t really know what to say and asked me if I’d rang my GP and all that. Do you reckon if it’s still here by March when I go raleigh it’ll get me a medical discharge or am I worrying too much? It only appears when I bend my wrist like I said
I'm not medically qualified so can't answer with any solid guarantee.

However, ganglions are not listed here: RN Medical Standards as a disqualifying condition. If it's going down, and the doctor seemed happy to leave it, it might suggest that it's going to be okay. Don't stick a pin in it, or smash it - both options sound incredibly painful and ultimately unhelpful. A cyst cannot be 'popped' in that way.

Sounds like you've got it sorted, for my two penneth it's bugger all to worry about.
Can't speak for todays medical standards that have to be adhered to but I joined way-way back. (60's). I had a ganglion cyst on my wrist when I joined, (HMS Ganges). No one, at initial medical at the docs prior to joining, the many medicals at Ganges and subsequent medicals, no medical officer ever made comment upon the cyst. A medic, neighbour, did say, and I quote, 'just whack it with a big book.' Not recommended I suggest and neither did I 'whack it with a big book.'

thanks for that waspie, appreciate it I’m reassured now. I tried whacking it with a big book but it just hurt my wrist then I tried popping it with a pin, just gave me a small cut on my hand didn’t do anything useful at all

I have heard that hit it with the Bible B4.
yep I've heard any heavy book hurts like crap, the bible is possibly to give you divine pain? GP's advice don't do it.
if book wacking goes wrong, broken wrist or hand and that could affect you w.r.t joining the mob

Tried whacking it when it first came but because I have to bend my wrist for it to actually appear there’s a bigger chance of me damaging my hand doing it so it’s not worth it. Gonna leave it n hope for the best

Tried whacking it when it first came but because I have to bend my wrist for it to actually appear there’s a bigger chance of me damaging my hand doing it so it’s not worth it. Gonna leave it n hope for the best
Sounds like a good plan!!!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Charity 0