Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Ganges

Of course if we had a Ganges Forum for ourselves and someone legged it, no names is no bunny hops up and down Faith Hope and Charity. When we found him and dragged him back could we then apply cyber cuts upon his cyber bum???????????

I only ask.

Nutty

your right a lot of thing that went off at ganges would not be politicaly correct now .I was hard but i still look back with a lot of affection and indeed pride.sadly lacking in todays world ||||||||| :D :roll:

lesbryan said:
your right a lot of thing that went off at ganges would not be politicaly correct now .I was hard but i still look back with a lot of affection and indeed pride.sadly lacking in todays world ||||||||| :D :roll:

Gawd, its amazing how many masochists Ganges produced! What was it, 2000 of us a year? We all look back in pride at the suffering, pain, humiliation inflicted upon us. :lol: What would trick cyclists made of us: it would make a fascinating book - maybe a best seller in the Andrew?

Ganges... Not PC!?! I suggest we list them somewhere and enquire in the wider RumRation forum how many of today's matelots would put up with it today (not many I suspect). It would also be nice if some of the ex-Crushers, etc could explain themselves... :roll: :evil:

Nutty said:
Of course if we had a Ganges Forum for ourselves and someone legged it, no names is no bunny hops up and down Faith Hope and Charity. When we found him and dragged him back could we then apply cyber cuts upon his cyber bum???????????

I only ask.

Nutty

Once was quite enough in the real Shotley! :cry: :evil: Now a virtual cyber-Ganges, that would be fun: Cyber-kit musters, Cyber-Divisions, Cyber-Parents' Day (without the embarrasment). Great! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Growing Up is Optional, I never exercised that option.

I would agree fully. Why else would I call myself Nozzy Nozzer? The eternal trainee: ever forgetful, ever keen to learn new things, anxious to suceed and get through exams, anxious to fit in, and mentally still 15! (If physically wizened!) The jutting out ears and embarassing spots have gone, as has much of the hair and midships I am definately condiderably wider, but otherwise I'm much the same (not that that's necessarily a good thing) :lol:

Kepple 1 mess top of LCW. 42 class 58 recruitment ships book number 1215.joined 2 april 1963 left easter 1964 instructors po ried po cox west sq instructor POGI hamton (shorty) schooly l/t hienze(sorry for spelling ).first ship carysfort

lesbryan said:
Kepple 1 mess top of LCW. 42 class 58 recruitment ships book number 1215.joined 2 april 1963 left easter 1964 instructors po ried po cox west sq instructor POGI hamton (shorty) schooly l/t hienze(sorry for spelling ).first ship carysfort

Inst.Lt.Heinze?

Punishments I remember:

Commanders Special Routine for all the mess.i.e. 2 classes. 37 and 39 Drake 39 Mess 1962.

5.30 am shower and dress
6.15 am Kit Muster (Not to intense)
7am clean mess then normal daily routine
pm no sport instead drag two field guns up and down laundry hill dressed in Tin hat, Oily Burbs, pack with four bricks and respirator, with drill after supper. We had five days of that for ragging a nozzers mess just before we passed out.

Daily sport for instructors:

1. Bunny hops in 8ts boots and gaiters up and down Faith Hope and Charity three deep keeping your dressing or the steps from the Gym to Lower Running Track in single file. For the Non Trogs both were long sets of stone steps leading down to the foreshore area.
2. Doubling around the Parade ground in various formations the worst being in single file, then when on the order, the rear man has to run to the front of the line which continues to double along. The line was often about turned and often had two Trogs trying to get to the front at the same time. Also strange how upon the order to run to the front your mess mates seen to go a little faster to make it harder for their messmate.
3. Double around with a Lee Enfield 303 rifle 8.6 lbs or a little under 4 kilos
held in various painfull positions, the worst being arms stretched out in front of you.
4. Over the mast at any time day or night in any type of dress.
5. Sweep short covered way with tooth brushes.
6. Polish mess floor with boot brushes.
7 For alledged crabby Trogs. Lay kit out on Parade Ground then watch as rest of the class double all over it before you gather it up and start to wash and iron for the next muster.
8. Same reason, select dustbin from gash bin area, polish same inside and out with wire wool and bluebell. Stow kit in same still Seamanship manual width with names sewn in red silk showing, tied in white tape in some cases.

I did all but 7 and 8 which was afflicted on one lad in the mess. I still never saw any Instructor, Reg, Junior Instructor or member of ships company strike any Trog. Strange never ever subjected to push ups or similar PTI things. At our annual mess reunion, where one of our instructors attends we still think they were great blokes just doing the best job they had been lumbered with.

So what were your Instructors favorite non PC actions. Did it do me/us any harm No, I/we were Fecking Ard Barstards prepared to take on all comers at 15/16 years old.

Nutty

It certainly did me no harm .it was hard but fair(most of the time).but having said there were some instructors who should been there doing what they doing.Example one of the nicest people i know went to ganges.He as always said if he ever came accross his old instructor he would gladdly swing for him.now that instuctor was sent back to sea |||| so they were some right BAS£^RDS there ????????

Jankers...

Scrubbing the LCW with toothbrushes. :|

Faith, Hope & Charity: never had the pleasure of bashing my boots on those infamous steps. :D

Laundry Hill, what a pleasure doubling up and down in your pyjamas, or just boots for some bods in the Mess as the rain gently falls and soaks you to the skin. :(

Lee Enfield's above the head running around the Parade Ground. Convinced arms will drop off! :!:

Sampling a cube of Pussers Hard for swearing (I only said 'bloody'): can't say it tasted too good. :roll:

Bunny hops round the Parade Ground: what a great way to end up in sick bay with damaged ligaments! :(

And the dreaded... Cuts (6) for running back to mum (well trying to). A cosy night in cells with nothing but a hairy blanket, Quasi-judicial sentencing (negative justice) with no excuses taken into consideration (I was homesick, etc), standing before the MO in my socks and nothing else to be certified "fit" and donning a duck suit and a loan pair of very well scrubbed, and consequently very thin, trousers and star appearance in Gym no.1 with my messmates as spectators. Did I get paid compensation when I bled: did I fcuk. :evil:

Did it make me a better person? Well it certainly gave me very strong opinions about justice which I hold to this day and made me a lifelong, strong opponent of corporal punishment for kids.

The most useful thing I learned was to look after myself and stand my corner (when sensible). Oh yes, and be a good little boy and do exactly as I was told, well more or less. :wink:

lesbryan said:
Shotley routine doubling with oilskins on .The steps at the bottom LCW were killers also never had cuts though 8O

Shotley Routine... I don't think that can be classified as jankers, more like TORTURE! I must admit, I thought it was a standard part of the training. :wink:

Cuts... you didn't miss anything Les.

I missed cuts by the skin of my teeth, accordinfg to the Chief Joss. I appeared at the Captains Table for insulting CPO Garnham PJ/X ****** in 1962. He was my Annexe Instructor and I was his least favorite Nozzer being a softy southener from Surrey. The Captain in his infinate wisdom, in fact de-rated from Junior Seaman 1st Class to J/S 2nd class for 14 days. How many of you out there lost you rate after only 11 months of service.

Also in them days cuts were carried out in private some where off the Quarter Deck no audience of your peers. Or perrhaps it was the choice of the particular Capt. of the time.

Nutty

Latest Threads