Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Ganges

sidon55 said:
Ganges 1950 6 Mess (Dunkirk) Blake Div, top of LCW. 74/75 Class. Your right that we seem only to remember the good times. But I believe the training I got there has stood me in good stead through a couple of bad
tragedies. I can recommend the Ganges Association for those haven't joined, Though if anyone had suggested i would join an Association celebrating when I left there I would have said the stark raving mad

sidon55,

So true, I can't say that I hated GANGES - it was pretty rough but I seem to recall that I didn't know what was going on half of the time - it was certainly better than my childhood - at least at GANGES I got fed regularly, had more clothing that ever in my life, my own bed and 7/6 (later 10 bob) each week. The 'fag barons' were merciless though - especially if you did a runner when it came to pay up on Thursday! What GANGES really did, of course, was took boys, inculcated a sense of discipline, loyalty and service and then gave us a marvellous career in the best service in the world.

You're right about the Association - brilliant!

fido
 
Fido
not the same man as I know, was some sort of Orficer in the Donkey Wallopers, now retired.
Parents caught him Pissing against the furniture when he was a toddleer, some elderly Aunt, saw him and said "Look at the child. urinating against the chair leg like a dog!" He instantly became Fido for the rest of his life.
True dit
 
janner said:
Fido
not the same man as I know, was some sort of Orficer in the Donkey Wallopers, now retired.
Parents caught him Pissing against the furniture when he was a toddleer, some elderly Aunt, saw him and said "Look at the child. urinating against the chair leg like a dog!" He instantly became Fido for the rest of his life.
True dit

Thanks Janner,

I never pissed against the furniture - we didn't have any when I was a kid post WW2! Cheese/Orange box from the meat packer (Armour - in Greetham Street) in post war Pompey in a one roon flat was all we could manage (well, anyway, those those that I couldn't break down for sale as firelighters).

As for fido, read FDO!

Yours aye and regards,

fido
 
janner said:
Fido
not the same man as I know, was some sort of Orficer in the Donkey Wallopers, now retired.
Parents caught him Pissing against the furniture when he was a toddleer, some elderly Aunt, saw him and said "Look at the child. urinating against the chair leg like a dog!" He instantly became Fido for the rest of his life.
True dit

Thanks Janner,

I never pissed against the furniture - we didn't have any when I was a kid post WW2! Cheese/Orange box from the meat packer (Armour - in Greetham Street) in post war Pompey in a one roon flat was all we could manage (well, anyway, those those that I couldn't break down for sale as firelighters).

As for fido, read FDO!

Yours aye and regards,

fido
 
hobbit said:
dt018a9667 said:
Can some one tell me why us trogs have good memories of the place? It was not the most of nice places or was itthat we were young boys and it took a lot to get us down

I recall, when having a gripe about the service, being told," you'll only remember the good times". I've found that to be true and in fact some of the bad times, when thought about, were not so bad after all. Funny bugger Jack

:lol:

I think it may be that some people remember the good things and others the bad things: unless you would describe the memory of being caned for going on the "Run" a good memory (I am sure some would :wink: ). I suppose it taught me that if you really can't stand something: tough, you have to stick it out, however unpleasant it might me. So there, I've admitted to being yellow! :oops: :(
 
Oct 16th 1967, arrived just at "tea" time. Eagle mess in the annexe, then onto Drake 18 mess long covered way 97 Rec

What a year that was, lot of memories. Made to chew on a bar of pussers hard one time for swearing !

Watching the cd Final farewell Ganges brought it all back.
Anyone from that time here ?
 
I wasn't at Ganges, however I was an inmate at the school just up-river at Holbrook (Royal Hospital School) for a few years in the early 1970s, at the time when Ganges was closing. To mark its closure, the 1976 Remembrance Sunday Songs Of Praise was broadcast from the chapel at Holbrook with a relatively large contingent of Ganges NEs in the congregation (as well as the usual great and good who come out of the woodwork in the presence of TV cameras).

On the night of the recording, I was on car park duty on the parade ground at Holbrook ensuring that some semblance of order was followed. Amongst all the cars, two coaches of trainees from Ganges turned up in the best No 1s supervised by a couple of archetypal POs. I vividly remember him off-loading his charges, forming them up on the parade ground and giving them a final briefing before marching off to the chapel: "Right you lot, this a church service you're going to, so be on you best behaviour - if I hear any more swearing, you're on a fcuking charge!".
 
Ganges,Raleigh, PC and bullying, shoved in a dustbin ,made to chew on pussers hard,foreskin checks, nicker sniffing,being caned, my god you couldnt make it up,where was that navy when i joined? Someone really aught to get this lot down, a working title could be,A Sailors Tale, make a fortune for charity,no doubt if all the forums were trawled there would be plenty more,i shudder to think what other nuggets there will be.
 
fido said:
sidon55 said:
Ganges 1950 6 Mess (Dunkirk) Blake Div, top of LCW. 74/75 Class. Your right that we seem only to remember the good times. But I believe the training I got there has stood me in good stead through a couple of bad
tragedies. I can recommend the Ganges Association for those haven't joined, Though if anyone had suggested i would join an Association celebrating when I left there I would have said the stark raving mad

sidon55,

So true, I can't say that I hated GANGES - it was pretty rough but I seem to recall that I didn't know what was going on half of the time - it was certainly better than my childhood - at least at GANGES I got fed regularly, had more clothing that ever in my life, my own bed and 7/6 (later 10 bob) each week. The 'fag barons' were merciless though - especially if you did a runner when it came to pay up on Thursday! What GANGES really did, of course, was took boys, inculcated a sense of discipline, loyalty and service and then gave us a marvellous career in the best service in the world.

You're right about the Association - brilliant!

fido

Ah,yes. The tobacco Barons. I was fortunate to have an old school chum join Ganges as a Junior Writer (Dennis Lilley). The occasional packet of Blue Liners was slipped my way. Highly illegal but made me very popular with the lads in the mess.
 
higthepig said:
Ganges,Raleigh, PC and bullying, shoved in a dustbin ,made to chew on pussers hard,foreskin checks, nicker sniffing,being caned, my god you couldnt make it up,where was that navy when i joined? Someone really aught to get this lot down, a working title could be,A Sailors Tale, make a fortune for charity,no doubt if all the forums were trawled there would be plenty more,i shudder to think what other nuggets there will be.

When did you join?

A book would be tempting: a friend of mine who was not even born when I was at G is fascinated about the place (sad) and wants to do research on her (he's as mad as I am and oddly enough we have a lot in common besides the rather big age difference!) for a law degree. That could be interesting! In fact John Douglas (who got the Ganges Association going in the first place) did a book which was supposed to be about people's good memories of the place but it ended up being a record of horror tales spiced with a few positive anecdotes. If you think what you've read here is bad I suggest to take a peek :roll: .

Tales of the Trogs - John Douglas.
http://www.sloproom.co.uk/slops.htm
 
Geoff_Wessex said:
I cover my time at Ganges in my own website (my memoirs if you like) and I'm sure that you're right.

Good website. Glad you liked Norway. Like Denmark it would be a great place to live were it not for the high cost of living and the high taxes on alcohol! Hope you like Canada. My sister worked in Vancouver for 3 months staying with academic friends out there and liked the place a lot.
 
Well nozzer,I joined jan 31st 1956,being a wafu was perhaps different,i was a junior naval airman,my training base was HMS Gamecock,RNAS bramcote,the only difference with myself and other trainees,was that i had to sew may name in all my kit,certainly never treated like some on this thread,thanks for the tip ill take a look at troggs.
 
Seaking824 said:
Oct 16th 1967, arrived just at "tea" time. Eagle mess in the annexe, then onto Drake 18 mess long covered way 97 Rec

What a year that was, lot of memories. Made to chew on a bar of pussers hard one time for swearing !

Watching the cd Final farewell Ganges brought it all back.
Anyone from that time here ?

I was there from April 1967 (strewth! 39 years ago!) and was also in Eagle then Drake, but 37 Mess, SCW - Drake got moved to the LCW in Oct 67 for some reason and we became Duncan Division. Had a couple of oppos from skool in 97 recruitment - Nigel Lohman (JRO) and Ray Henley (WAFU) - both went to Hawke I think. Ray only left the RN last year!
 
NozzyNozzer said:
higthepig said:
Ganges,Raleigh, PC and bullying, shoved in a dustbin ,made to chew on pussers hard,foreskin checks, nicker sniffing,being caned, my god you couldnt make it up,where was that navy when i joined? Someone really aught to get this lot down, a working title could be,A Sailors Tale, make a fortune for charity,no doubt if all the forums were trawled there would be plenty more,i shudder to think what other nuggets there will be.

When did you join?

A book would be tempting: a friend of mine who was not even born when I was at G is fascinated about the place (sad) and wants to do research on her (he's as mad as I am and oddly enough we have a lot in common besides the rather big age difference!) for a law degree. That could be interesting! In fact John Douglas (who got the Ganges Association going in the first place) did a book which was supposed to be about people's good memories of the place but it ended up being a record of horror tales spiced with a few positive anecdotes. If you think what you've read here is bad I suggest to take a peek :roll: .

Tales of the Trogs - John Douglas.
http://www.sloproom.co.uk/slops.htm


A different slant from Tales of Trogs on Ganges, can be found in the book "Band of Brothers by David Phillipson. He finish his book with a quote from ex-Able Seaman Len Wincott.

"And I still look back, with gratitude and admiration to the Royal Navy Training Establishment at Shotley. As was to be expected, it strengthened me physically, but above all provided a firm moral basis and wide mental vistas which no other school for a boy of my class could have given. If, after almost 40 years absence, I visit or returnto Britain, I shall go pay homage to the school I believe to be-infact am absolutely convinced is- the best in the world"

Written by a Trog who made flag rank, no Len was one of the Leaders of the Invergordon Mutiny and made the quote from the exile of his Moscow flat, not a person to sing praise of anything Pusser or British but gives the highest accolade to Ganges.

Nutty

PS for all the pain and hard days in 1961/62 I fully agree with him.

His biography 'Invergordon Mutineer' 1974 Weidenfeld & Nicolson is also a good read.
 
Well, small world, I knew Ray Henley well he was in my mess. I was in touch with him about 18 months ago and he was the last one in our class to still be in the navy.
He just left in June of last year I think as a Fleet Chief, and was at Culdrose when his time was up.
Ray was at one point our class leader. He was in Drake 18 LCW








Geoff_Wessex said:
Seaking824 said:
Oct 16th 1967, arrived just at "tea" time. Eagle mess in the annexe, then onto Drake 18 mess long covered way 97 Rec

What a year that was, lot of memories. Made to chew on a bar of pussers hard one time for swearing !

Watching the cd Final farewell Ganges brought it all back.
Anyone from that time here ?

I was there from April 1967 (strewth! 39 years ago!) and was also in Eagle then Drake, but 37 Mess, SCW - Drake got moved to the LCW in Oct 67 for some reason and we became Duncan Division. Had a couple of oppos from skool in 97 recruitment - Nigel Lohman (JRO) and Ray Henley (WAFU) - both went to Hawke I think. Ray only left the RN last year!
 

Latest Threads

Top