Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Ganges mast

Sorry about the delay in responding boys, bit of a time lag downunder.

I can't see the point of preserving it where it is. I can't see the point of preserving old buildings in situ. There are one or two exceptions if they are still in use, such as St Paul's Cathedral but Battersea Power Station and the old GLC offices - give us a break. Sure, if some rich ex-matelot wants to move the mast to a dedicated site, restore it and maintain it then fair play to him. But to restore it where it is would be a waste of time and money.

BTW how many people visiting the Victory realise they are looking at a replica ? All the rigging and huge amounts of rotting woodwork have been replaced. But that's another storey.

Come on THINGY, your one of my hero's but not many out there can understand LCW . So lets here it for the nozzers,who become trog's etc.
LCW = LONG COVERED WAY,as opposed to the SCW?

There was an attempt to save the mast: one Bill Boakes (ex 2 1/2 ringer), who regularly stood for Parliament in the 60s and 70s as white resident non aligned party and always lost his deposit, sent a pound note to the Skipper of GANGES. On it was written "To the Commanding Officer, HMS GANGES to meet cost of striking and re-erecting elsewhere the mast now at that establishment".
It's sitting here in front of me, will try and get it posted on the thread soonest. (it fell out of a file they were sending for destruction anyway - as it's a part of our Naval Heritage, I picked it up and pocketed it). At least he tried.................

I've allocated 2% of my estate when I cross the line to the Mast Fund. If there's no mast. Waaaaaaaaaaa!

Perhaps it should be relocated in Parliament Square. It would make an excellent mass gibbit for those whose fraud dwarfs that of most benefits cheats, and I'm sure it would be within The Rules! :twisted:

Ref the mast,tend to agree with Tanzi,even though he's an Ozzie!
The site owner has shown they have no interest in doing any work on the mast,its houses ,an lots of em they want! The mast is old some of it a'int even original,in a isolated spot ,made from wood ,and will be a on going saga of funding issue's, to maintain it ,i believe its demise is just a matter of time :(
However it is Iconic,methinks the best place for it,would be either,a current naval training base,Raleigh,Sultan,Collingwood.,or within the Historic dockyard area of Pompey,failing all else,take it down,make memorabilia from it,and raise funds for 'Help for Hero's. Yes i did go over it :!: once,that was enuf.

Tanzi said:
Ganges mast. Let it go !

It has no place among st a modern housing estate, looked upon by people who have no idea of the fears it wrought, the strengths it challenged or the satisfaction it gave.

Let it go. It’s job is done, it serves no further purpose, it should be allowed to rest.

Let others prove the strength, the tenacity and the trust of youth. These old timbers, fraying ropes and wires have played their part. There is no Honor in preserving a dead thing. Honor is in remembering - and those who served need no wooden stick to remind them.
I fully agree with you .I think it is time to let go.I am a Ganges boy through and through .We have a museum which is a registered charity we need nothing else.Our memories of the old place are in our hearts and minds.I agree there is no place in the middle housing estate for such a thing.If no one will spend money on it it will surely fall down and more than likely do damage .because it cant be taken down without permission as it is grade two listed .It was suggested at one time that it be taken down and a memorial put on the spot which would be a better thing (only my opinion !)probably granite or a smallish bronze sculptured mast with a plaque in fact there is a plaque commemorating all the Ganges boys that have passed through those gates on the lower part of the mast now .that would be a fitting thing to do

NET ?
o_O

H&S gone mad !
It was thick rope with lead joints, all supported by angle iron uprights. More of a matelot chipper than a safety net!

I remember being told about the post office roof, there was a section with different tiles on it, not human shaped before anyone asks!

It was thick rope with lead joints, all supported by angle iron uprights. More of a matelot chipper than a safety net!

I remember being told about the post office roof, there was a section with different tiles on it, not human shaped before anyone asks!
Well, that's the PO roof sorted, any news on the unfortunate sky diver?

Latest Threads