Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ganges Boys Kit 1945. A bit different from today

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I didn't see any monkeys when I was at Ganges, I wonder if he passed out ok and got to fleet.

D

Deleted 96812

I didn't see any monkeys when I was at Ganges, I wonder if he passed out ok and got to fleet.
Not sure when animals were banned from HM Ships and Establishments.
I remember a couple of megalomaniac Skippers who got away with it.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Not sure when animals were banned from HM Ships and Establishments.
I remember a couple of megalomaniac Skippers who got away with it.
There was always dogs brought on board, as there still is. The Cdr at Sultan when I was on mechs course had a vicious little Jack Russel that used to go for everyone. I remember he tried to troop a killick stoker who drop kicked it when tried to bite him :)

D

Deleted 96812

There was always dogs brought on board, as there still is. The Cdr at Sultan when I was on mechs course had a vicious little Jack Russel that used to go for everyone. I remember he tried to troop a killick stoker who drop kicked it when tried to bite him :)
I have a splendid photograph that I must dig out-- taken on the foc'sle of Wild Goose in the Persian Gulf. The ship's pets of Wild Goose and Wren and another Sloop whose name I've forgotten were photographed engaged in a sexual Round Robin. Two dogs two cats and two monkeys--quite disgusting! It was removed from family album For the benefit of our then young daughters

Dusty70

War Hero
Remember (1970) when you had to do damage control (Chatham Dockyard water straight from the Medway) in those bloody ridiculous and totally useless black oilskins and welly boots - that's when I nearly jacked it in as I was sure they were trying to kill us when the water level kept rising and we had to cling to the deckhead with just a couple of inches of breathing space

Taught us absolutely bugger all

50 years ago and I'm still seething now I remember it !!!!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
I have a splendid photograph that I must dig out-- taken on the foc'sle of Wild Goose in the Persian Gulf. The ship's pets of Wild Goose and Wren and another Sloop whose name I've forgotten were photographed engaged in a sexual Round Robin. Two dogs two cats and two monkeys--quite disgusting! It was removed from family album For the benefit of our then young daughters
My old man was a gunner on a Black Swan class, the Peacock.

Just saying.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Remember (1970) when you had to do damage control (Chatham Dockyard water straight from the Medway) in those bloody ridiculous and totally useless black oilskins and welly boots - that's when I nearly jacked it in as I was sure they were trying to kill us when the water level kept rising and we had to cling to the deckhead with just a couple of inches of breathing space

Taught us absolutely bugger all

50 years ago and I'm still seething now I remember it !!!!

Ganges was similar, piped straight from Harwich harbour, God knows what nasties were living it that water!!

D

Deleted 96812

My old man was a gunner on a Black Swan class, the Peacock.

Just saying.
Poor man . They were verminous ships. Crawling with rats and cockroaches. With the heat in the Persian Gulf their ships cats were too lethargic to bother. When you say he was a gunner Do you mean The Gunner? As in Is the Gunner here? No sir, but syphilis is?

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Poor man . They were verminous ships. Crawling with rats and cockroaches. With the heat in the Persian Gulf their ships cats were too lethargic to bother. When you say he was a gunner Do you mean The Gunner? As in Is the Gunner here? No sir, but syphilis is?
He was a NS gunner, but to hear him you'd think he'd done 50 years in the mob, not 2 ;)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Ganges old boys 1963 History 0
Jack-The-Lad HMS GANGES - Still serving Bases / Shore Est 15
J Ganges Blake Division 98 recruitment Social & Reunions 0
G HMS Ganges Jan 1968, Grenville Division. Social & Reunions 2
C Ganges sign up Site Issues 2
A HMS Ganges History 4
soleil Photos Of HMS Ganges Bases / Shore Est 0
S Looking for old Ganges oppo Nearest & Dearest 1
soleil HMS Ganges, Baked Beans, Bread Pudding and .... Pigs Bases / Shore Est 17
B Ganges Bases / Shore Est 1
BillyNoMates What it looked like from the top of Ganges Mast. History 31
Canaldrifter Ganges images History 8
soleil New book by Ted Macey, HMS Ganges PTI: "Jack the Lad RN" The Quarterdeck 0
Binnie Ganges pre-war History 2
scouse Ganges mast one for Thingy Bases / Shore Est 4
andym Ganges Graffiti History 5
andym HMS Ganges. Bases / Shore Est 8
Polycell Ganges or St Vincent Bases / Shore Est 52
sgtpepperband Ganges Sex Religion Stokers Diamond Lil's 53
J Ganges website The Quarterdeck 3
O HMS Ganges History 12
Tanzi Ganges mast Bases / Shore Est 20
clanky MOD censorship of gay Ganges Norman Arthur iPod The Quarterdeck 7
T Clive - Webmaster - HMS Ganges Association History 0
navyeo60 Button Boy Ganges....... The Movie History 4
N Why is Ganges so emotive? History 112
M HMS Ganges Association The Fleet Air Arm 13
A Ganges Association website closing 2nd June 2007 Bases / Shore Est 0
B Ganges 1960 - what recruitment would I be? History 5
A Jumna Magazine... HMS Ganges at Highnam Court, Glos.1940 Bases / Shore Est 0
W My Ganges Treasures Bases / Shore Est 28
A Anyone fancy buying a bit of Ganges history? Bases / Shore Est 2
Canaldrifter Ex-Ganges Airy fairies?? The Fleet Air Arm 12
A Beginning to be a sailor (CP46/Jan 74) Ganges & Raleigh Bases / Shore Est 20
A HMS GANGES Magazines Bases / Shore Est 7
A HMS GANGES Parents Day 1968 Brochure Bases / Shore Est 9
A HMS GANGES photographs Bases / Shore Est 74
N HMS Ganges Memorabilia History 17
P ganges Bases / Shore Est 1
N HMS Ganges... beware ye who enter here Bases / Shore Est 49
D Ganges gossip! Moved from Qtr deck! Bases / Shore Est 91
D Share your memories on the Ganges? The Corps 22
dt018a9667 Ganges The Quarterdeck 119
MoD_RSS Press release: New research will examine effect of gender norms on men and boys MoD News 0
Ageing_Gracefully Competition - Till the Boys Come Home Competitions 12
Chegz my boys passing out parade.... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 62
soleil Pompey News: "When The Boys From The Black Squad Came Up For A Smoke" History 1
BillyNoMates Jobs for the boys The Internet - Best and Worst 6
trelawney126 Saved by our gallant boys in Crabfat Blue Diamond Lil's 6
trelawney126 Jobs for the Boys Current Affairs 10