Ganges 1960 - what recruitment would I be?

Discussion in 'History' started by buntslever, May 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am often asked by old tars what recruitment I was at Ganges, but I can't remember.

I joined 5th Jan 1960. Simon Dupree was our Junior Instructor. When we
    over to the Main as a Bunting Tossers to Benbow Div, Chownes was our Badge Junior in Benbow.

By the way, if anybody is interested, I visited what is left at Shotley about six months ago, and took photographs. Drop me an email, and I will
    forward them to you. But it will be a shock. The mast is now rusty,
    there are weeds growing thru the tarmac of the officers tennis courts,
    and just about every window in the dining block has been put in.
    [email protected].

2. i know what you mean lever - my old barracks has holes in the roof, and is a residence for squatters and mice more than people nowadays - its been empty since 1994 when the base closed.

3. buntslever: I joined 12 July 1960 and Recruitment 33(U)1 comes to mind, or was it 133(U)1? I cannot find this on my docs. o/c of the Annexe I was Drake 40. I think the U stands for upper. About 40+ of us were split into two classes, I cannot think why I should be in the "Upper" because I was thick, I just made it in, I might not have this correct.........if someone knows different??????? (not the thick part, that is correct)

4. B-L, have you tried the Ganges museum? I'm pretty sure they a comprehensive archive.

Keep Striving

5. 30 April 1962 was 49 Recruitment.

:)

6. 8TH October 1963 was 62 recruitment.