Gaming in the Royal Navy

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by DominateHumbly, Feb 20, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heading off to Raleigh as of June 22nd 2014. I enjoy playing video games on my computer. Just gathered enough together to build my second rig, although now I am questioning my decision!

Is it really worth it? Will I be home long enough to play on it? Don't get me wrong I would obviously choose my career over a game but if the pros and con's do not weigh in in favour of me having enough time to play on my new beast I wouldn't go ahead with it as it would be an expensive tea coaster!

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me and possibly a few other people joining or already serving!

2. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

At sea you'll have nowhere to stow it. In training you shouldn't have time. Any time you do have I'd suggest would be best spent bonding.

3. Sorry for the bad explanation. I mean on leave. At home. Obviously I have leave and its up to me to how i use it. But as to how often I can use it is what I'm asking

4. wave_dodger

At sea you'll have nowhere to stow it. In training you shouldn't have time. Any time you do have I'd suggest would be best spent bonding with class/batch mates.

It may be "old skool" but mess life makes the Navy, people in cabins of 2-4 stagging on for hours at an end over a pc/ps3 etc doesn't build the team ethos IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

That rather depends on you. You know how much leave you get right? Do you want to spend your leave with your computer or with friends/partner/dog/cat/goldfish etc etc

6. wave_dodger

I'm confused at home, on leave, that's surely a personal choice?

7. Where are the days of drinking for a whole leave period and going back for a rest?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 4
  8. Dom, you wont have time for it at Raleigh, and initially in phase 2 I wouldn't think so either, depends on your branch and training est. On board, you likely will not want two grands worth of computer in a JRs messdeck, things tend to break a lot. I would stick with a compact rig or console. Game nights can be fun with a bunch of LAN nerds, but you will want something simples like Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament that can be played on older systems. I made great use of a an 8 port router, BF1942 with Dessie mods. But you will get lots of miles out of a MAME and a decent control set like an X-Arcade, speshly if mess funds buy the controller.
    The main issue is net connectivity, any game requiring an active net connection to work, like most stuff on Steam, is not going to cooperate, unless you are feet dry somewhere like Kandahar, Bagram etc.

If you are a tech rating and have pt3/4 shoreside, killicks course, or live RA as a JR, then I would say yeah, you will want your spiffy game rig. Also, once you're in a 4/6 man mess, or even single living, you will have enough space and power and a network connection to make use of twin 24" or a 40 inch LED.

9. When I was at Bovington, (Pongo training camp), all the trainee's were focused on laptops and game consuls. I thought what a boring bunch this new generation. My generation was a wine, (well - beer), women and song!!! Oh how times have changed.

10. Waspie, game nights in the mess were to save money for Bop night. Sunday afternoons were for nursing a hangover in the beergarten with the F1/Rugby/footy as back up if the clacker was a no show. 2 days to payday and no klebs, have to get creative.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Life's for living - not sat behind a games console!!!

Just thought!!! What am I doing now??? Sod it - I'm 61, I have had my beer, won't go down the women road - (my wife can still read!!!!). And fugg yeah - bop nights. Remember when you could see big bands, (plural), for less than a fiver!!!

Lets face it we all take about the sticky carpets in most of the dance halls, Joanna's etc. But who was responsible for the sticky carpets. Generations of Jack ogling the crumpet!!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. mgr

mgr

what's wrong with a game of crib and huckers over a couple of beers

13. Is that posh Uckers?

14. mgr

mgr

smart a---

15. wal

wal Badgeman

fifteen two that bastard and get the tinnies in.

• Like Like x 1
  16. mgr

mgr

sips,gulpers or queens. Take your pick

17. "Are you cold love?"

"You've got nipples like 8 piece mixiblobs"!

18. Can you upboard when you get a cyber equivalent of an 8 piece dicking playing these multi-player console games? Or do you just smack your opponent over the swad with the controller?

19. Correct. Wardroom rules apply.

20. OMM

OMM War Hero

Phase 2, bring your console/laptop. You have lots of free time. Especially weekends.