Game , Set and Match

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by hobbit, Jun 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well , you lucky folks in TOC,it's almost that time of the year for tennis . More late nights because you inconsiderate people insist on playing the game in the middle of our night . My bet RF for another singles title , what a legend that guy is . Only to be half as fit . More Ss and C please

2. Well , he's done it again , a legend indeed . Where this guy is heading will possibly place him out of reach for a long time if not permenantly

Federer best of all time, says Nadal
    Monday Jul 9 05:47 AEST
    Rafael Nadal lost an epic Wimbledon final thriller to Roger Federer overnight and insisted that his Swiss rival is the best player of all time.
    Federer emulated the legendary Bjorn Borg when he captured his fifth successive All England Club title with his 7-6 (9/7), 4-6, 7-6 (7/3), 2-6, 6-2 win in the third longest final of all time here.
    It was Federer's 11th career Grand Slam title, taking him within three of Pete Sampras's all-time record of 14.
    "He has 11 Grand Slams and he is very close to 14 but whether he wins 14, 16 or even 13, his tennis level is the best in history," said Nadal who for the second year running finished runner-up to the Swiss after beating his great rival at Roland Garros.
    "Roger has had an amazing season and to win five Wimbledons in a row is fantastic. But I made the final again. I had some tough matches, I hope to be better next year."
    Nadal still boasts a better career record of eight wins against five defeats with the world number one but refuses to even consider himself as an equal.
    "I am a better player than last year but you cannot compare me to Roger. I have three Grand Slams, he has 11. But I am young and I will keep practicing and trying to improve."
    Nadal admitted that he threw away his chance to become only the second Spaniard to win the title at crucial times in the final set where he twice had the upper hand in the third and fifth games.
    "I had 15-40 in those games and I was playing to a good level. But I was playing against one of the best in history. I had good chances to win but he saved points with his serve."
    In the match, Federer sent down 24 aces compared to Nadal's one.
    "I had very good opportunities to win an important final. It's not easy to lose in the fifth set but I am a good loser and I accept defeat," he said.
    Federer was fulsome in his praise of Nadal whom he believes has made huge strides on grass since 2006.
    "He had more of a game plan this year, he was playing more aggressively and he knows the grass better," said Federer.
    "He's a good all-round, all-court player. He deserves a title here. He's not getting any worse and I have the highest respect for him."
    Federer, who met with Borg after the match, had practised with 2001 champion Goran Ivanisevic, a left-hander, before the final to sharpen his skills for the final.
    It paid dividends on Sunday.
    "Each win is special but to play a champion like Rafa and equalling Bjorn's record it makes it very special," said Federer who was later warmly embraced by the man whose record he'd just equalled.
    He added: "Rafa is a fantastic player who will be around longer than me so I'm happy to win again before he takes them all.
    "It was a close match and I told Rafa at the net that he deserved it as well. Today I was the lucky one."

Ninemsn for the plagiarism police