Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Seaweed, Apr 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I see the RN is still using those idiotic Pongo anklets which came in post-war, presumably because there was a job lot left over. They were never a reliable guardian of bell bottoms and usually looked pretty sloppy.

I therefore propose that the RN revert to its proper rig, gaiters:

particularly as Percy no longer uses anklets anyway. I think theye would look a lot smarter, as do the black gaiters worn by officers (and as I now note, from yesterday, warrant officers).

PS I have found my pair of liquorice leggings in a trunk, might try e-bay.

PPS Much easier to do 'Rest on Your Arms Reversed' with a proper rifle with the muzzle resting on the toecap of a boot, instead of it having to be held up in midair by the fingers.

PPPS The wind don't blow the way it used to.
  2. Black Gaiters were the preserve of the Gunnery Instructors, they were the authority on Drill in the RN. But then again you knew that Seaweed.......and I just bit! Agree with you totally though.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  3. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I wore those huge gaiters when I joined in 1951, they were so bloody awkward to put on. Never forget the day I qualified GI and wore my first set of BLACK ones, with pride I might add.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Those big gaiters !!!! I managed to put them on upside down and on the wrong legs.
  5. Whose legs were they Jesse?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Seem to remember getting kitted up for Surgical Support Team to go down South in 82 we were issue puttee's!
  7. Nothing wrong with the big gaiters. Wore them on route lining at the King`s funeral and they were the right way up too!!
  8. Kinell.........someone older than granny........grannys older than me...and I'm knockin' on a bit....P/060 for the service number watchers.
  9. Yes,and he didn't say which King
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Me too Granny, but at 16 mine were nearly over my knees, and it took thick socks and rough serge trousers to stop them from spinning round. I also, in due course, wore anklets of three different hues, (khaki green as a class instructor, white as POOG on the main gate, and black as a drill instructor), all during one stint at Raleigh. Last time I visited in 2006, parade staff were not wearing gaiters/anklets at all. I presume that may have had something to do with the fact that the Parade Training Officer was a WO1 Bootneck, or that with the SA80 you're unlikely to catch the lower sling swivel in your trouser bottoms on the way up!

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  11. AAF

AAF Badgeman

I was issued with long gaiters on Light Rescue Course at Pheonix during my year long 'stay' at Dryad in '73, yes they were a bugger to lace up but much better than the short un's which were forever riding up the boot and 8's, 1's & 2's bottoms never stayed tucked in for long.
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
  12. The gunners at Collingwood still wear the big black gaiters. For people not used to seeing these things it makes them look like SS or something.
  13. My gaiters, 'black enamelled hide', Acme Metropolitan whistle and black stick 'with brass ends fitted' repose in a cupboard in the back bedroom. Although I retired in 2010, the wearing of gaiters by Parade Staff and Officers of the Guard had, I'm sure, been phased out then but white anklets by guard themselves. I'm sure there was an Officer or Warrant Officer on the steps of St Paul's at Baroness Thatcher's funeral wearing liqourice legs. I well remember marching to take up position at a parade at Whale Island and a voice from the crowd saying 'Bloody heck, it's a Nazi' (which I suppose was partly true - only partly mind you).
  14. Thank your lucky stars you aren,t wearing Puttees.
  15. The parade staff at Raleigh wear the black gaiters on divisions, whilst the passing out class wear the white anklets, belt and scabbard.
  16. I have a pair of officers black leather gaiters which I'm planning on selling on e-bay, or here of anyone is interested. Anyone know if they are still in use?
  17. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Once they are up on e-bay why not post the link on here? Interesting to see what they fetch.
  18. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

True Seaweed, it would indeed be interesting to see how much Capt Pugwash has to pay someone to take them away. :laughing3:
  19. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

IMO wearing gaiters and a belt is always better looking than the naked flares. I would say 'aesthetically pleasing' but I don't want to sound like a crab.

I've gave up trying to guess what something will go for on fleabay, people will buy anything.
  20. Danny, I doubt very much if there are "Gunners" in Collingwood. Those, who pose as such, are in fact purveyors of the art of Above Water Warfare! The wheel keeps turning though, I joined the "Gunnery" branch, many years later, while I was in Collingwood as an instructor, my sub branch changed. So I went from being a GL 1 and became an FC 1. A bit later on the branch was re named and I became a Missileman 1st class. On completion of my Missileman course I was presented with Black anklets and a Whistle and to all intents and purposes I was a GI. Then along came the AWW. Confusing 'ennit!