Gaining extra UCAS points for officer entry.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Danny_Pass, Feb 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have completed a BA in Philosophy, but enetered the course through completing a foundation degree; both of which amount to 0 UCAS points. After doing a little research it is clear that the 180 point requirement is non-negotiable, be it with a degree or without. I will be turning 28 next month and know that it has long since passed the time I sorted a career out and with the potential for an age cap on entrants I know that time is of the essence.

Are there any qualifications that I can gain within the RN prior to training that would allow me entrance into officer training? Or is it possible to get one or two a-levels funded under contract that they be completed in time for me to make entrance before the age cap, and that I would commit to signing up for a certain amount of service?

I don't think these questions are too stooopid, perhaps somewhat naive, but any help or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

All the best, Danny.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good question.

For Officer selction, prior to joining, as well as 5 GCSE's A-C(including Maths & English)
    the minimum standard for UCAS points is 180 UCAS points for all candidates subject to the constraints that:

1. the total must include at least two non-overlapping subject areas;
    2. each subject must be allocated at least 45 UCAS points;
    3. If unsure of overlapping subject areas AIB should be contacted.

The minimum for each subject will be

1. A-Level Grade E;
    2. AS-level Grade B;
    3. Scottish Higher Grade D;
    4. Scottish Intermediate any grade.

The full UCAS points tariff, showing equivalent qualifications, is available at UCAS.com

You cannot add AS & A level UCAS points in the same subject & the subjects must include at least two non-overlapping subjects scoring over 45.

The grades that count are:

A Level/Advanced Highers: A=120, B=100, C=80, D=60
    AS Levels: A=60, B=50
    Scottish Highers: A=72, B=60, C=48

BTECs Certificates are only valid at level 3 (Distinction, Merit grade pass or better).

BTEC Diploma (Merit, Merit, Merit)

All BTECs, HNDs must be verified by the Admiralty Interview Board as accepted non-overlapping subjects of sufficient academic content.

After joining the service, you only need 5 GCSE's A*-C to apply for Warfare or Logistics Officer - if recommended & within age parameters. You won't get graduate officer pay if successful if you initially join as a Rating.

Good luck.

Edited to correct error.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  3. That's a great help, thank you.

Best wishes.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. NS,

The minimum AS grade is "B", which you correctly stated when mentioning UCAS tariff points, but not at 2.!!

Danny,
    You're not alone with this problem, and we could discuss the merits of people going to University without the required A level grades all day. However, the best advice is to get yourself qualified before entry if you want to be an Officer, and be really sure this is what you want to do before committing to a year or so of study.
    Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Eek, good spot Sire. You are, of course, correct. :thanks:

Just testin'

6. fishface

fishface Badgeman Book Reviewer

Just out of curiosity, I know the upper age limit for Warfare JUY is 26. How long are you in before you normally get a recommendation? I only ask as I'd like to UY some day, and I'm just interested if I'm likely to make it within the Junior time frame or if Senior is going to be more likely. (I know it's all an 'if' not when!)

7. fishface

fishface Badgeman Book Reviewer

Junior upper yardman

8. I am not moaning about the UCAS requirement before anyone starts giving it lemon :p I understand the importance for a base requirement, and 180 points is not much really, but I left sixth form for the usual family related reasons and got into uni just because I showed 'potential'. But I did have a crack at AS' and I read that retakes have to be taken within 14 months or something? Would it be useless if I were to take them again next year, seems a lot of time and money to put down the pan. I have applied for rating which is why I am being naughty and do not wish to ask my AFCO until I have a better idea. I think I would be content as a Rating in theory, but seeing as though I can earn three times starting wage fairly easily and I have been a manager for nearly a year (not blowing my trumpet or claiming for those reasons I could be or deserve to be an Officer, just they give you a taste of the good life and have been awesome opportunities that have presented themselves), and despite always having wanting to be a part of the royal navy I am worrying that I will end up hating life. No I don't think I am too good to be a rating, or that I am all thaaaaat, just having some cheeky little doubts and seeking an answer to the retake question.

Self indulgent question asking over!

9. Ninja_Stoker

There is a "13 month rule" with regard the acquisition of the required UCAS point total. However for those who've already got a degree, it's possible AIB may consider a waiver of the 13 month time-span ...assuming you scored high enough for officer on the initial recruiting test.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  10. Yep i scored high enough on the rt as my advisor asked why i hadn't applied for officer, to which i explained boo hoo ucas points! That sounds promising, at least potentially theres a glimmer of hope

11. It depends. If you were in my Division (now very unlikely!) then I would be expecting a bit of something about you. It mainly relates to the Command, Leadership and Management areas - i.e. do you get stuck in and take charge even when there's no driver for you, personally, to do so. I would also expect you to break out of the 'mess-junior rates dining hall-place of work' triangle and show a real interest in the job you want to do (as an Officer).

Now, of course, that's my take on it. You might show these things, and I recommend you for UY, but the CO isn't quite sure, wants to see how you do at BOST, or on deployment. Then I go on draft and you have to show your new DO the qualities they want to see, and suddenly the easy '2 years' left before you run out of time turns into a single shot at the AIB at 25 and 9 months.

That is why I will always recommend that if you want to join as an Officer you join as an Officer, even if that means you have to take an extra 12 months doing stuff outside. As a civvie it is far easier to become an Officer then it is for a Rating.