Gaining a commission from the ranks

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by fishface, Feb 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. fishface

fishface Badgeman Book Reviewer

Hey lads,

Does anyone know what the chances are of gaining a commission if you join as a rating(and what the process is?)

Due to a change in the entry requirements (one of my a-levels doesn't count anymore) I'm (hoping on) joining the service as a rating but have always wanted to be an officer and was just curious to my chances!

I intend to use the RN learning fund scheme to gain another A-level to make myself eligible to go for officer entry if I'd just walked into the AFCO. Will this help in any way?

Sorry loads of stuff there, sorry if it been asked before!

p.s im going into warfare...don't know if that matters!

2. Mate, loads of stuff on this - search for UY or Upper Yardman.

The general summary is - if you want to go Officer, and have the qualifications, go for it; you are lacking a qualification, so you should weigh up how long it will take you to get it against desire to become an Officer against the increase in difficulty of becoming an Officer as a Rating.

At the end of the day it is a decision only you can make. Just remember life as a Rating is not designed solely to get you promoted to the Wardroom.

Al

3. fishface

cheers mate, never thought of it from that angle...need to think about that

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The only assured way of becoming an Officer is by joining as one, all other methods are hindered by a very deep pool of eminently suitable candidates.

5. Very true. However, in regards to quals to go UY/SUY, I'm pretty sure you don't need A Levels or a degree to get your papers raised, only 3 GCSE/SGs at C or above in English, Maths, Science etc. Prior to joining I wasn't qualified to be an officer but once I had signed the dotted line, I was. Or so I have been told, standing by to be corrected! :?

6. fishface

JG - I've been told the same thing, i just thought having the right quals would help a bit! to be honest if i dont get a commission I'm not going to hang myself but i wouldn't turn it down!

7. Well it's always worth having something to aspire to I suppose. Me? I'm happy at the bottom!

8. fishface

I'll probably get in and think the same thing!

9. You're right there Jock, generally the entry requirement of a certain number of UCAS points for officer entry does not apply to serving ratings.

There are 2 schemes to commission from the ranks. Upper Yardman and Senior Upper Yardman.

UY - Aged under 26 on entry to BRNC - need minimum 5 x GCSEs Start IOT from the beginning regardless of previous rating position (even if a Chief Tiff)

SUY Aged over 26 on entry to BRNC - minimum educational qualifications are 4 x GCSEs and must have been at least a Petty Officer (Except the Logs branch who have a scheme for switched on killicks). Most branches have additional specific requirements, such as Bridge Experience Certificates, front line or sea time, ETs have other pre-requisites such as passed for CPO or MEOOW type stuff.

E(TM) and E(IS) require a suitable degree regardless of entry method.

Like has been said previously, if you're not far off having the qualifications for direct entry then get them and go for that. If you want to join as a rating then try for UY or SUY then be aware it's a long hard slog - not unachieveable but needs commitment and dedication, continuously.

10. Be aware though that there are limits as to the length of time between taking the various qualifications you intend to count towards your UCAS tariff. I can't remember the exact rules but i'm pretty sure in an expanded explanation of the educational requirements that Ninja posted not too long ago it was mentioned.

11. Depending on your age I'd say do the A-level before you join then apply as a direct entry officer.

I am lucky in that I got my papers raised quickly and passed the AIB as a rating; as a UY candidate it's not easy and a pass I would think is the exception rather than the rule.

You might not have such a willing captain/CW officer when you join your ship; they might require you to do a long period of time on board before putting you forward for the board, or there might be a large pool of candidates on board further lessening your chances.
    In short there are far too many variables to make it a guaranteed career path, definitely get your a-level before if possible and go direct entry.

12. I found the relevant language:

0518. Thirteen Month Rule:

Qualifying subjects must normally have been obtained within a maximum spread of time of 13 months. Discretion may be given to candidates with exceptional qualities or those with exceptional circumstances (e.g. family break-up) which may have affected examination results. In cases of doubt advice must be sought from AIB.

From http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/upload/package/68/br3book/ch05.pdf

13. Sires,

As you progress through the Service you will be amazed to discover the number of Old/Bold Senior Ratings
    who will assert that they ...."were offered a Commission, but turned it down....".

A little gentle, innocent probing will slowly deflate such assertions.

14. I was actually offered command of a type 23 when i was killick of the w.o.d. but told them to stuff it - so it does happen !!!

15. Sprinkle 'em about like confetti don't they? :wink:

(Pusser is still a bit piso with W*rr*nts for 'some-of-shes-who-don't-not-never-ever-go-to-sea'. :wink: Could all change soon, though 8O )

16. fishface

thanks LS...if that 13 month rule still applies then I'm buggered because I did my a-levels 3 years ago so if i did another it would be just a but out of the rule!

17. It's not just the old and bold who are "offered" their commissions; on getting my papers raised it turned out half of my mess were simply offered them at some stage of their, thus far, short careers.

18. Wow.

In days of yore they could be purchased (or sponsored by a relly.)

Barclaycard? That'll do nicely, sir. :roll:

19. The RN never let you purchase a commission, hence the phrase 'Ladies, Gentlemen and Naval Officers'. Completely different if you were a pongo mind!