Future of HMS Gannet

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Jamesofdeath, Jan 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi.

I've been having a read around the net and in various forums about the future prospects of HMS Gannet but there seems to be a number of conflicting reports so thought I'd come straight to the horses mouth so to speak!

I'm currently a member of a civilian MRT but am going through the process of joining the Navy with a view of being succesful in my application for Observer in the Fleet Air Arm. SAR is something that interests me a lot but obviously with the SDSR and the privatisation of SAR it seems quite difficult to pursue this route. After chatting with my AFCO it would seem that if I am succesful in joining the Navy my only real option is to be based in the south of England as everywhere else seems threatened. I'm hoping you might be able to shed a bit of light on this for me and the future of HMS Gannet if possible?
  2. As a base HMS GANNET doesn't really exist, the only thing that is there thats open is the SAR Hanger & a couple of buildings, the accomadation site has just been left to rot.
    The last I heard was....
    1. that they were moving to Glasgow Airport but everything has been put on hold
    2. the privatisation has been put on hold because it will cost more to go down that route
  3. JoD

Do you have a particular reason for being concerned about whether being based at HMS Gannet is possible or not?
  4. As a general rule, Pilots Obs and Aircrewmen rarely get Gannet as a 1st squadron. You will go front line and become qualified in your particular field. ASW/Junglie etc.

With SDSR and the privatisation of SAR your fears of maybe not reaching your aspirations of SAR at Gannet are quite probable. I think you are sensible in taking this into consideration.

That said, who know what is around the corner. This government wouldn't be the first to do a U-Turn.

Good luck in whatever you choose.