Future of Devonport raised by MP, this a'noon in the commons

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by 5dits, Mar 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Future of Devonport raised by MP, this a'noon in the com

Thanks for the heads up. It's rare to see more than a dozen or so MPs attend major debates on the defence of our country. Let's see how many attend this one. After all, it's only about the future of half our surviving naval bases for surface warships.

2. Re: Future of Devonport raised by MP, this a'noon in the com

well a third any way :thumright:

unless you dont count sweepers

3. Don't get your hopes up. Given that it's slap, bang s0d after an all afternoon EU referendum debate, you don't expect many of them to miss their early evening scran do you?

4. Re: Future of Devonport raised by MP, this a'noon in the com

I probably should have said major surface warships although I never liked the idea of sweepers and hunters being described as minor war vessels. Just one can mean the difference between having your day ruined or not.

5. And remeber that any ship can be a minesweeper...once...

6. Re: Future of Devonport raised by MP, this a'noon in the com

Video of debate can be seen here. I counted no more than half a dozen MPs in the chamber. Linda Gilroy, MP for Plymouth Sutton, took a pop at Portsmouth and there were several interesting snippets from Armed Forces Minister Bob Ainsworth. These promised little change to the status quo w.r.t. RM, SM, Amphib and FOST basing in Plymouth and the fact that FSC is still at "an early stage of concept design". I wonder what stage it was at when we were discussing it back in the late 1990s?

7. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

Re: Future of Devonport raised by MP, this a'noon in the com

The debate ("Devonport and the Royal Navy") can be read HERE.

8. Re: Future of Devonport raised by MP, this a'noon in the com

Thanks Hackle. :thumright:

You might also be interested in the following assertion made by the Minister for the Armed Forces, Bob Ainsworth, about the government's intentions regarding Guzz:

It can also be read via the official Parliamentary website, below.

Commons Hansard: 5 March 2008, Cols.1885-1892

9. Don't know if this is relevant, or if anyone wants to believe it.

BBC Link