Future Carriers, Astutes and type 45's.....Who gets them?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by elchaz, Jun 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the first Astute class submarine, the near completion of the first Type 45, the prospect of the two future carriers and the F-35s; a question has sparked in my mind. Who gets to command these vessels? The experienced, reliable personel within the service? Or, fresh blood within the service to compliment the fresh technologies?

I'm kind of hoping the latter is the right answer ;)

2. Re: Future Carriers, Astutes and type 45's.....Who gets them

Similarly, who will crew them? I'm also keen to know the answer.

3. Er, what new technologies exactly?

4. Err PAAMS, SAMPSON radar, The new Trident program...theres loads, wikipedia it ;)

5. Re: Future Carriers, Astutes and type 45's.....Who gets them

Alright I'll bite. Much as it would be lovely to try and match new personnel to new technology I suspect you'll find that there will be a little bit of selective weeding of eligible personnel. The fleet has to put people with experience in charge of new units. Never had much experience of boats so can't comment there but the 45s will certainly have four ring bosses who've done several sea drives (this has been covered elsewhere). Similarly, it is likely that the other jobs will have more experienced people than would normally be the case.

With the training pipelines across all branches so clearly defined, the theory is that the people with the most experience ought to be also up to speed with the new technology- and also experience is no substitute for technical knowledge but ought to get you an awful long way in the right direction. It would be foolish and naive to suggest that there aren't certain people in certain positions who aren't up to the job they are doing but this is rare and will happen in the local greengrocers just as much as in the RN.

There is a case for sending the young and bright to play with the new toys- and no doubt this would be the Lewis Page view- but actually the truth is that the boss and the hods will be senior/experienced/up to speed, whilst if you're at the start of your career I doubt whether there'll be any more or less chance of a draft there if you're just out of Raleigh/BRNC than to any other ship in the fleet.

6. Re: Future Carriers, Astutes and type 45's.....Who gets them

Although obviously with the size of CVF every man jack in the fleet is going to get a draft there simultaneously- age/experience/total number of serviceable limbs no object! :)

7. Re: Future Carriers, Astutes and type 45's.....Who gets them

Err PAAMS, SAMPSON radar, The new Trident program...theres loads, wikipedia it

Pamms has been around for years and years, with the french

Sampson is a downsize of Phased array that the USA have had for years. We took a 360 degrees stationary radar and turned into a moving sidelobe with blind spots

Trident, not sure there though ask a bubblehead

8. Re: Future Carriers, Astutes and type 45's.....Who gets them

for the 1st astute class ssn the commanding officer is ex teacher (for skimmers that means he was the boss man that taught future COs the trade) as for the crew we are made up from a large proportion of experienced lads from mainly S boats. although the V boat Faggots and T boat willy biters get a look in as well. but as the S boats are being phased out that leaves a lage body of experience to utilise

9. at the moment for the cis branch is classed as a 2nd tier draft

you have to complete at least 1 sea draft before you can be considered for a draft on a 45

10. Hopefully i will finish my training about the time the CVFs come into play, i would love to serve as a junior officer on one of them!

11. The CVF's wont be crewed up for a long time, dont even think they've cut the steel yet

12. i know, but it will be a long time before i finish, sixth form now, then if i get in on cadetship a year initial officer training then off for a four year law degree followed by more training and then if im lucky and get thru all that off to a posting

13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If you're going to do a four-year Law degre what the feck are you wanting to join the RN for?! 8O

14. Re: Future Carriers, Astutes and type 45's.....Who gets them

Bloody upper deck lawyers!

15. I think theres a good chance hell might have frozen over before these carriers see any water.

16. But remember that most of the building work will be carried out in Scotland, therefore guaranteed under this government!!

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Future Carriers, Astutes and type 45's.....Who gets them

I very much doubt you will get sponsorship for a 4 year degree. Even Medical Officers only get sponsorship over the last 3 years.

There is no point the RN employing someone undertaking a Law degree in the Warfare Officer role.

18. Re: Future Carriers, Astutes and type 45's.....Who gets them

that's what i thought but i looked into it and turns out they will, its based on a degree for up to four years, and i asked the ACLA what degrees it includes and he said anything, its not important what one you get apparently for warfare, no requirments on the graduate front. I just have to get through... a lot easier said than done!

19. Re: Future Carriers, Astutes and type 45's.....Who gets them

I am in total agreement with ChrisA's question,
    Conscription is the only way the Navy will get enough manpower for this project.
    RoofRat

20. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Re: Future Carriers, Astutes and type 45's.....Who gets them

When you consider that the current HMS Ocean, HMS Bulwark & HMS Albion have the collective ship's company similar to that of HMS Fearless, not much more than a County Class GMD, each having the crew numbers of a Type 22 before lean-manning, I doubt conscription is in the equation.

Now more than ever, we can see why the RN trained strength needs to be fitter than ever.